VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

dual circut master cylinder for pre-67's???

van-detta

Number of posts : 21
    Registration date : 2010-01-27

dual circut master cylinder for pre-67's??? Empty dual circut master cylinder for pre-67's???

Post by van-detta Thu May 20, 2010 3:22 pm

Does anyone have expeience with updating the brake sysem to a later year or another model dual circut master?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

dual circut master cylinder for pre-67's??? Empty Re: dual circut master cylinder for pre-67's???

Post by donivan65 Thu May 20, 2010 3:49 pm

Many people here have probably converted the 1st Gen, 1964-66, single master cylinder to a 2nd Gen, 1967-70 dual line master cylinder,,,,,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

dual circut master cylinder for pre-67's??? Empty Re: dual circut master cylinder for pre-67's???

Post by donivan65 Thu May 20, 2010 3:54 pm

dual circut master cylinder for pre-67's??? Brake_11
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu May 20, 2010 3:59 pm

dual circut master cylinder for pre-67's??? Nodoor56
    sparky

Number of posts : 195
    Registration date : 2010-01-05

Post by sparky Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:47 pm

I went to purchase the master cylinder for a 69 van and they asked me if it was for a disc brake van and what engine I had, is the part # for that master cylinder TS 10-1329 ? Thanx,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:46 pm

Since the 1st Gens just have a single line master cylinder that feeds all 4 wheel cylinders, the 2nd Gens are better,,,,it has 2 lines, one for the 2 front wheel cylinders, one for the 2 rear ones. So you basically are separating the the front brake line from the rear and running it to the 2nd line on that master cylinder. Wheel cylinders stay the same,,,,,you just need some extra brake line and a 67-70 master cylinder,,,,,,,AND get rid of those old metal brake lines while you are at it,,,,,,and eventually replace the 3 rubber ones,,,,,,you dont want no weak links in the system......

dual circut master cylinder for pre-67's??? 2ndgen10
    sparky

Post by sparky Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:59 pm

Cool, Thanx Don ! I am ordering all my stuff today...do you happen to know the part #s fer the rubber lines and what metal lines will be needed to go clear to the rear?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:03 pm

We will find you some more information,,,,,Scott has a some,,,,,and basically the Two 60 inchers connect together and reach to the rubber hose above the rear end where it meets a T and then 2 metal lines go to each rear wheel cylinder,,,,,my picture is all Napa part numbers but you can get others,,,,,,some of us use braided brake hoses instead of the rubber,,,,,,you got 1 each on the front wheel cylinders and one above the rear end,,,,,,,and you need a couple of fittings to adapt the different thread sizes. A REAL 2nd Gen has that brake pressure switch in the line to put on the brake warning light in the dash if it senses low brake pressure,,,,,but you don't really need it to have better brakes,,,,,,,

wdaguy likes this post

sparky

Post by sparky Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:19 pm

ordered all the brake goodies today except the rear cylinders and the 3 rubber lines, Napa wanted 30 bucks each for the rear cyls. and about 30 bucks each for the rubber lines....anybody have any more affordable options for the rubber lines...? thats like 100 bucks for the rubber lines!
    billlyton

Number of posts : 5
    Registration date : 2010-07-28

dual circut master cylinder for pre-67's??? Empty Brakes

Post by billlyton Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:40 am

Hi guys, help me get up to speed on the vans. Will my 61 convert to what you show here for brakes? Seems like it should.
    Thanks
    VanGo66

Number of posts : 65
    Registration date : 2010-09-08

Post by VanGo66 Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:56 pm

RockAuto online has all sorts of good stuff listed for our vans. Including some front brake hoses for 11 bucks a piece and wheel cylinders for less that 10 bucks a piece. Or you can have a local shop that makes hydraulic lines make some. Im checking on that today. I used a master cylinder that i had on the shelf for a 72 blazer. Same as above except you have to get some adapter fittings. The thread size on the cylinder is larger than the 7/16 of a 1/4in tubing nut.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 8:19 am