VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Easy Dual Master Cylinder Upgrade

sandyvan
    sandyvan

Number of posts : 526
    Registration date : 2011-03-13

Easy Dual Master Cylinder Upgrade Empty Easy Dual Master Cylinder Upgrade

Post by sandyvan Mon May 06, 2013 5:35 pm

I say easy because if I can do it with my limited auto repair experience, anyone can do it. I will say right off though that a friend of mine who knows his way around cars came by yesterday to help me bleed the lines and he also adjusted the rear brakes. I wouldn't have been able to complete that part on my own. It's a two man job and one of them needs to know what they are doing. But I removed all the original parts and installed all the new stuff. On my test run yesterday when I was feeling good after several hard stops, I tested a no hands on the wheel downhill stop and there was no wander at all, straight as an arrow. So I was pretty happy about that.

- The biggest issue I had was getting parts but that was due to the lame personnel at the Oceanside Napa store. They would mis-place the re-orders (as the first shipment was half wrong) or send the wrong items.

- The next issue for anyone doing this to look out for was that my line system was a bit different than Donivan's and required extra adapter fittings. Mine had 1/4" line running between the passenger front "T" and the rear brake hose. As far as I could tell it was all original. So that required some adapters as I already had all the 3/16" lines from the Napa parts list. And the rear brake hose listed for my van also needed to receive a 1/4" line.

- I also replaced all three rubber hoses. Those aren't on Donivan's list of parts but they are pretty common, I found them available everywhere and got mine from the O'Reilly's by my house.

- I picked up a cheapo tube bending tool from Harbor Freight as there is one key bend in one of the short lines coming off the MC, and I also used it for the tight U turns on the front lines. The tool was easy to figure out and actually kind of fun. I think I'll tackle a new fuel pump to carb line next.

- Used an angel grinder and small cutting wheel to cut the MC bracket.

- I have a factory sway bar so I used Don's tip and got a 2"x 18" trailer receiver tube from Harbor Freight to make the sway bar spacers. Used a few cutting wheels to get through that sucker.

I didn't post any pictures because there are plenty on the other threads and my set up looks just like those. https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t30738-1st-gen-duel-brake-cylinder-conversion-needed?highlight=dual+master+cylinder

sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Easy Dual Master Cylinder Upgrade Empty Re: Easy Dual Master Cylinder Upgrade

Post by sasktrini Tue May 07, 2013 1:46 pm

You sound cool as a cucumber, tackling that job... good on ya! And I guess a feather in VintAGE-Vans' cap for access to project advice!
    sandyvan
    sandyvan

Number of posts : 526
    Registration date : 2011-03-13

Post by sandyvan Tue May 07, 2013 9:02 pm

Not cool as a cucumber at all! I was worried the whole time I might screw things up, but I knew worst case, a mechanic could fix it. I had all of Don's postings and I was e-mailing him when I ran into the non-listed parts issues and he stepped me through it. Definitely a group effort but I did all the grunt work = savings lots of dough.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed May 08, 2013 8:13 am

,,,,but the bottom line is,,,,,if you are running around with 45 year old brake lines and hoses,,,,you are heading for trouble,,,,and adding a dual line master cylinder doubles your chance of survival......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 6:43 pm