VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Carb and Carb Adapter

kawadawg
    kawadawg

Number of posts : 24
    Registration date : 2012-06-01

Carb and Carb Adapter Empty Carb and Carb Adapter

Post by kawadawg Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:57 am

I am removing the 144 from my 1961 E-Truck and installing a 1981, 200 inline six. Can anyone recommend an adapter plate and 2 barrel carb setup the will fit properly and still clear the engine housing?
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Carb and Carb Adapter Empty Re: Carb and Carb Adapter

Post by Seth G Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:44 pm

You may be best off going with a Carter RBS for a 70-73 250, should bolt right on and it's lower profile than a yf or a 1940. Also higher rated than whatever is on there now @ 215cfm. Otherwise I'm not really sure about the adapters height, and the linkages also dictate a certain height with 2-barrels. for example, the choke linkage on the 2100 I'm mounting to my head say's that the bottom of the carb has to be 1 3/8" min. from the surface of the log where it would interfere unless I mounted it crossways to the log which isn't going to happen. It could be trimmed a bit, but it would still be at least 1 1/8" or more. May not be a problem with a manual choke, not sure, but then there is the kickdown, which will interefere on the otherside if you have an auto, though there are way's around that to w/ remote linkage from a 69/70 L6 Mustang. If you go manual choke w/ a T5 or other manual tansmission you may be able to get a 2100 mounted pretty low, if you direct mount.

But, if you're going to use a 1v to 2v adapter you'd probably get the same performance from the RBS. You don't get much benefit until you direct mount the 2v carbs. Although I think Classic Inlines data maybe slighlty scewed b/c I think they may have used a small log for the comparison, not sure though, could be wrong. Is your block a low mount starter block? If so, what transmission are you going to use? If you're set on the 2v, I'd search or ask the question over @ fordsix.com, those guys should know.

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:33 am