VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Dual carb or 2v? Building intake for custom carb(s)

jdlaugh
    jdlaugh

Number of posts : 298
    Registration date : 2013-03-18

Dual carb or 2v? Building intake for custom carb(s) Empty Dual carb or 2v? Building intake for custom carb(s)

Post by jdlaugh Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:55 am

I found someone on Ebay selling intake manifold flanges for the Ford 240/300 and decided to try my hand at fabricating a new intake for the 240 engine in my '65 E-pup. My goal is to install some sort of custom carb setup that will fit within the confines of the doghouse.

Since I already have two Carter YFA carburetors, I'm leaning toward a dual carb setup. The YFAs for the Ford 300 were rated around 200 cfm (I've seen conflicting numbers ranging from 190 cfm to 220 cfm). So, two would give me in the range of 400 cfm. I could have them both open at the same time or build some sort of progressive linkage. My goal would be to use one carb up to about half throttle, then begin to open the second, with both fully open at wide open throttle.

Or, I could design the intake to accept a Motorcraft/Autolite 2100 with a venturi of 1.08 (287 cfm) or 1.14 (300 cfm). The Jeep guys love the 1.08 for their 258 straight sixes, so it would probably be a good fit for my 240.

Although I purchased the intake flange, I'm using tube and square stock I had on hand in my scrap pile. I bought a intake gasket and made a jig to hold the flanges in place.

Dual carb or 2v? Building intake for custom carb(s) Intake11

The holes in the intake flange matched up pretty well with the gasket, but were quite a bit smaller. I'll do some grinding to open them up to more closely match the gasket.

Dual carb or 2v? Building intake for custom carb(s) Intake12

I already have a Carter YFA on my 240, along with the DSII ignition system. The truck starts and runs great, but runs out of air at the top end. Here's my spare YFA sitting on the manifold. I would most likely mount the carbs between the 2-3 and 4-5 intake runners. Note the manifold is upside down in this photo.

Dual carb or 2v? Building intake for custom carb(s) Intake10

Any thoughts or comments welcome!
    Barnabas
    Barnabas
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

Dual carb or 2v? Building intake for custom carb(s) Empty Re: Dual carb or 2v? Building intake for custom carb(s)

Post by Barnabas Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:52 pm

Neat idea.
    Seth G
    Seth G

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Dual carb or 2v? Building intake for custom carb(s) Empty Re: Dual carb or 2v? Building intake for custom carb(s)

Post by Seth G Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:26 pm

Running them progressive may give better mileage. But then, the 2100 was one of the best carbs ever produced. Cool project, can't wait to see what you come up with.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:04 am