VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+6
dix
66BC
Vantasia
donivan65
richie61
Viking
10 posters

Door locks

Viking
    Viking

Number of posts : 59
    Registration date : 2012-03-07

Door locks Empty Door locks

Post by Viking Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:13 am

Well after coming home this morning to some to some piece of shit rummaging through my van claiming it was his.  I need to get all the locks on my doors redone. Does anyone have a links or a part number for both driver and passenger side push button locks and both side and rear door locks. Please let me know. I need to get the Boogie Van locked up ASAP.
    For a 65 First Gen Panel Van.
    Thanks
    Viking
    richie61
    richie61

Number of posts : 445
    Registration date : 2010-01-04

Door locks Empty Re: Door locks

Post by richie61 Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:56 pm

If you take the locks off you can take them to the Pick a Part in Sun Valley on Pendleton off of Glenoaks Blvd. In the parking lot there is a guy that will re-key them, when I asked last year he said $15 each. I'm pretty sure a locksmith shop can re-key them as well using your ignition key or a different key. I haven't done mine yet and have lost a few things of no value stored in the back. My van came from the San Francisco area and I haven't had anyone claim it's theirs. Good luck.
    Viking
    Viking

Post by Viking Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:22 pm

richie61 wrote:If you take the locks off you can take them to the Pick a Part in Sun Valley on Pendleton off of Glenoaks Blvd. In the parking lot there is a guy that will re-key them, when I asked last year he said $15 each. I'm pretty sure a locksmith shop can re-key them as well using your ignition key or a different key. I haven't done mine yet and have lost a few things of no value stored in the back. My van came from the San Francisco area and I haven't had anyone claim it's theirs.  Good luck.

Thanks for the info on the Lock smith in Sun Valley. I managed to get the side and rears doors working they definitely need to be pulled out and gone through but I got them to lock. My drivers side locks But I don't have the correct key for the passenger side. Its one of the push button ones and I don't know how to take it apart. Gotta do a little more digging.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:50 pm

Door locks Door_l10
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:09 pm

Yes, if you can get the locks out, any good locksmith can make new keys, I had a local guy here redo a '72 VW no problem. They have a way of matching the tumblers to a new key.
    Viking
    Viking

Post by Viking Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:12 pm

donivan65 wrote:Door locks Door_l10

Donivan. I'm assuming you have to pull the door handle off to the lock out correct?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:36 pm

,,,yep,,,,,,,,2 screws hold it on,,,,,,,take out snap ring,,,,,spring hits you in the face,,,,there should be a code number on the cylinder that tells a locksmith what key fits it,,,,,,,easier to take a side door cylinder out if nobody has changed the door lock cylinders,,,,,,
    66BC
    66BC

Number of posts : 159
    Registration date : 2010-01-05

Post by 66BC Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:41 pm

Viking, Where exactly are you located? Hows your van going? maybe a get together of the L.A. vans soon. I need to get my locks redone also. I've rekeyed other locks before but when I tried last with this setup I had no luck. Too many little bits flying all over the place. Got me nervous that if I tried to replicate the side that was correct I would probably lose those pieces in the process. If I'm careful I'm sure it could be done, but for 15bucks I might as well cough it up and pay a pro. Thanks Richie for the heads up, I'll be taking mine there to the pick your parts lot.

Jose
    66BeachCruiser
    Viking
    Viking

Post by Viking Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:56 pm

66BC wrote:Viking, Where exactly are you located? Hows your van going? maybe a get together of the L.A. vans soon. I need to get my locks redone also. I've rekeyed other locks before but when I tried last with this setup I had no luck. Too many little bits flying all over the place. Got me nervous that if I tried to replicate the side that was correct I would probably lose those pieces in the process. If I'm careful I'm sure it could be done, but for 15bucks I might as well cough it up and pay a pro. Thanks Richie for the heads up, I'll be taking mine there to the pick your parts lot.

Jose
    66BeachCruiser

Jose,
    Yeah we should have a little LA gathering.  I'm in Venice Beach.  I found a locks smith here in Venice that a buddy referred to me.  So I think I'm gonna try and pop my locks out.  Hey how's your disc brake conversion going? I was watching your thread on the VCVC site. I'm getting ready to do it myself.  I would love to check your setup out. Lets meet up.
    66BC
    66BC

Number of posts : 159
    Registration date : 2010-01-05

Post by 66BC Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:27 pm

The disc set up came out great! I'm very happy with it. The van was up in the air for a while but all worth it. Let us know how that locksmith turned out. Get those locks working quick. So was this a bum just trying to break in and sleep in the van or was this someone serious that thought this was their van? Yeah, lets meet up. I'll PM you my number.
    Viking
    Viking

Post by Viking Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:50 am

66BC wrote:The disc set up came out great! I'm very happy with it. The van was up in the air for a while but all worth it. Let us know how that locksmith turned out. Get those locks working quick. So was this a bum just trying to break in and sleep in the van or was this someone serious that thought this was their van? Yeah, lets meet up. I'll PM you my number.

Got the locks all dialed in. I had to grease the locking mechanism in the side and rear door and get a new key cut and they they work great now. I also pulled the locks out of the front doors and had those rekeyed to the same key as the side and rear. Not to bad. So now 1 key for all the doors now just have to pull my ignition switch and get that keyed the same. So 1 key for everything.

Yeah it was some crazy dude try to claim it was his. And then the cops came and hauled his ass off to jail.

Got you PM Jose. Will be in touch soon. I can help you with your locks also if you need. The locksmith down hear charges $15 a lock to rekey.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:34 am

People like that need to be planted under a tree,
    cuz the courts will just let him out in a day or two. .

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:06 am

Under a TREE=????????????????Maybe dropped out of a Van on the interstate @ High speed in traffic!!!!!!!!!!!! cheers lol! 
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:36 am

Yea but he might survive . I never seen any one return after being planted,

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:09 pm

He would if he fell out of my van...lol..he could just jump out and walk for the speed mine goes. jocolor 
    jazzcat
    jazzcat

Number of posts : 35
    Registration date : 2014-05-03

Post by jazzcat Mon May 05, 2014 1:12 am

I just ordered the Lock Set from Brothers for the 55.5 - 59 (JDLGB59), Ignition, Push button, Glove box set.... then I ordered an uncoded gm door lock dl1580u, that I will repin to match the ignition and doors.   So I'll have one key for everything. What do you think?
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Mon May 05, 2014 5:10 am

One key is the best! Post the whole process if you can. With all the door swaps it is something many may want to know about.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 11:49 pm