VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Water pump questions ??

rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Number of posts : 624
    Registration date : 2013-07-19

Water pump questions ?? Empty Water pump questions ??

Post by rustytoolss Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:40 pm

Going to replace the water pump on my 273. When I was racing long long ago in a galaxy before I had real bills. Mopar performance said to use an AC water pump (used less power I guess) So I did.
    Does it make since to use an AC water pump..seems to to me. After all an AC car might be harder to cool ??
    And has any on used those FLOW KOOLER pumps ? and for that matter flow kooler sells their super duper add on disc ( mounts to current pump).
    Water pumps is there a better mouse trap ?????????
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Water pump questions ?? Empty Re: Water pump questions ??

Post by dix Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:09 pm

From what i understand a waterpump with ac has larger fins. when i called around everyone sold the same water pump ac or not.

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:10 pm

not that i have ever herd or experienced!!- What everyone needs for nice proper cooling =is just a shroud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! find one =make one=have one made!! just do it = quit all the addl watter wetter & additives stuff- unless ur wealthy & just want to change things always??????????????affraid Remember =all our vans when new -never had any overheat problems.
    supernaut
    supernaut

Number of posts : 73
    Registration date : 2012-10-15

Post by supernaut Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:20 pm

i installed a FlowKooler water pump recently. i haven't seen any gigantic improvements in performance or temp decrease.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:38 pm

remember =some of the pump[s with smaller vanes will actually =over speeds the water =overheats= as flows quicker or cavatates(air) =the water inside the system. usually a standard waterpump does the job=designed for cooling system sises!!=cheers 
    BillyBlaze
    BillyBlaze

Number of posts : 114
    Registration date : 2013-08-15

Post by BillyBlaze Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:25 am

I think I read somewhere one of the big differences between ac and non ac is also the pully ratio. The AC model has larger internals but to keep it from cavitating it is spun at a diff rate than the non AC unit. Just something you may want to think about but then again i may have no idea wtf I am talking about LOL.

Truth be told all these vans ran all over the country during the 60's and 70's with the std setup and no overheating issues so long as your cooling system is in order the isn't really a reason to change the pump out to a AC unit IMO.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:41 pm

Billys -absolutely correct too with all -there were diff sized pulleys for the waterpumps.=had forgotten that !!lol! affraid 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 9:08 am