VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Water Pump

Red Falcon
    Red Falcon

Number of posts : 27
    Registration date : 2014-05-12

Water Pump Empty Water Pump

Post by Red Falcon Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:53 pm

The Red Falcon has made a few tentative rounds about the block. I swapped out the original 170 for a rebuilt one found on Craigslist.  We even put a few highway miles on Christmas morning.  A great feeling of accomplishment for a desk jockey.

It seems I'll need to replace the water pump.  Do I remove the radiator or can I just start with the fan?  Second I see on Rock Auto one of the pumps listed showed the internals, I guess the impeller, can go one of two ways, ie clockwise or counterclockwise.  Does this apply?  Any brand preferences?

Best regards,

Tim, St. Louis
    scarlin
    scarlin

Number of posts : 258
    Registration date : 2012-01-25

Water Pump Empty Re: Water Pump

Post by scarlin Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:05 pm

If your careful only the fan needs to be removed otherwise you will need a Rad. too. Our engines only turn one way, but different if your in the drivers seat or looking from the front.
    Get one with a cast impeller, the stamped ones suck for the best flow. Also your Alt. or Gen. bolts will have to be loosened so spray the bolts with lube or they will break, move the wires as little as possible as they may break inside the molded wire covers.
    Good Luck.

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 12:54 am