VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Leaky Water Pump

Leaky Water Pump Empty Leaky Water Pump

Post by Guest Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:12 am

After replacing the radiator cap, water seems to be leaking from the vent hole of the water pump. The bushing seems to be tight, when I shake the fan blades. Or can it be the new 15 lbs radiator cap? Instead of the 8 lb. Will the increase pressure cause blow-by thru the vent hole. Or is it just the gasket.

Thanks.

Can the radiator be pulled out with the mounting bracket in place?

Does the choke cable need to be removed when pulling the radiator?
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Leaky Water Pump Empty Re: Leaky Water Pump

Post by sasktrini Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:13 am

Should be a 13lb cap, I believe, but the pump is going... it's more likely that the increase in pressure would have started leaking at a hose junction than at the vent hole if the pump bearings were good.

Rad bracket is bolted to the doghouse AND to brackets below the floor line... easier to reach when the rad is already out... just remove the four bolts holding the rad to the bracket. You may need to remove the choke cable, but it's no big deal... I never remove it from the front, just back as far as the rad. Just make sure that when you reroute it back to the carb, it's not chafing any wires.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:30 am

Pump seal is BAD-Change out the pump- even if you change the raid cap its still a leaker.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:26 am