VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+8
PolarBear2
itruns
Nightmoves
xjamesx
G-Man
DanTheVanMan
Digz
savage
12 posters

another introduction

another introduction Empty another introduction

Post by Guest Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:20 pm

Hello All;

I'm the father of a great kid who turns 16 on the 31st. Unfortunately, he got his fathers afinity for quirky vehicles. I'm an old Land Rover buff. Well, a few weeks ago, he finds this old van on Ebay and says the bids only a hundred bucks and best of all, its in our hometown! With a typical fathers skepticism on such matters, we went to look at the thing. I tried every trick in the book to tell him how this was exactly the wrong type of "first car" for a kid and he should be thinking along the lines of something more modern and reliable etc. I tried to hide the fact that I thought this old bomber was really fricken cool! I completely regressed back to his exact age and how badly I wanted that first car myself back then.
    So, to be a good dad I bid 400 bucks on the thing thinking that it would probably sell in the 800-1200 range. When the bid went over that, I told him "sorry, we tried man" and we'll find something when your ready. He was pretty bummed and disappointed and I let it go for a day or so but kept an eye on the thing. When it didnt seem to get any higher, I let my itchy bid finger get the best of me and I bid up to $550.00 thinking that after it sold for much higher, I could gain a few "cool points" for trying again. Well low and behold we won the thing! Aw #$%&! Now I gotta tell the wife.
    Well, he doesnt know it yet and if he reads this, the cats outta the bag but my buddy down the street and I went to get it and we stashed it in a friends garage. This is the 64 G100 that was "sambowie's" van. Its basically sound but is in need of some tune up work, brakes (right rear brake cylinder is done) shift linkage rebuild. and a few other odds and ends. On the good side, there is much less bondo in it than I figured, only rust is at the bottom of the left rear door. We added some brake fluid, and fired the beast up. the second and third cylinders arent firing so a cap, rotor, plugs and wires are coming. I drove it probably five miles and about killed myself with carbon monoxide but the tune up should take care of it. What a hoot to drive!
    Anyway, after getting it running and taking care of some safety items, Ryan can decide how he wants to customize it. I'm kinda in favor of the rat rod look myself. On that note, let me say that you guys have an incredible site here! I mean that seriously, its really well put together and you guys have some awesome vans. We'll definitely look forward to picking some brains and using this site as a resource. I'm stoked about fixing this old beast up with my son and we'll post pictures as we go. Talk to ya all soon! Todd

another introduction Empty Re: another introduction

Post by Guest Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:29 pm

What a lucky kid!
    You, uh, lookin' to adopt a 54yo? Very Happy
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:43 pm

Welcome to the site. I think you got a good van for the $$. I would of liked to got his van. Good Luck with your new project. Cool
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:47 pm

Hey My "First Car" was a 65 GMC van ,,you could fit alot of buddys in it.
    Hope your son has a blast !
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:52 pm

Welcome to the site old64g. You got some serious "Dad" points with your kid now. I know the van. I moved here to Georgia from Colorado Springs a couple of years ago. If you need any help at all of any kind just ask. Whether it's tech advice or needing a part, we're all here for you... Would love to see some pitures too.

Again, welcome.

Last edited by DanTheVanMan on Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

another introduction Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:54 pm

Welcome!!!! Post so pic's when you get a chance

another introduction Empty thanks a bunch guys!

Post by Guest Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:07 pm

Wow, thanks for the reception. At the risk of being redundant, (hopefully there is a noob grace period for dumb questions right?) How do I tell which 6 is in this thing? Where do I get parts to fix crappy linkage? And where is the best source for parts?
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:40 pm

The engine my best guess is a 194 like my 64. Best parts source I would say is here and another site VCVC.org. There is no one that makes new linkage for your van. Your best bet is finding someone with used parts. To find parts that are still being made go to the home page then to links and click on the box with chevy vans in it. GM liked to reuse parts and many parts on our vans were on other chevys for this reason only we can still get some parts. No one has a catalog with just parts for our vans. Here a quick link to the parts links
    http://www.vintage-vans.com/chevy_parts_dept.html
    xjamesx
    xjamesx

Number of posts : 378
    Registration date : 2008-05-14

Post by xjamesx Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:36 pm

welcome fellow coloradan! that van is cool for a good price. we have about 5 or 6 of us up here in denver area with vintage vans so feel free to ask away or whatnot for parts, etc. we gotta get a colorado get-together this summer!!!
    james

Post by Guest Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:41 pm

Welcome to the forums. Your son is one lucky kid. These old vans are addicting. Hope you both have fun restoring your van.
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Post by Nightmoves Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:21 am

Welcome Dad ! as written above,youve scored major points with your son.I couldnt help but laugh as I read your story.When the 'cats out of the bag'come back and let him read this post.He'll get a kick out of it.
    This is a great info site,along with good conversation topics also.So jump in post and ask away! I did,we all do.
    That lil '64 will also be a great bonding tool with your son.Its real easy now days to loose that, with people and kids getting so involved with everything else going on in their lives.
    Seems like you really enjoyed that van quite a bit when you drove it.Now I wonder....who's gonna be the owner? Haaaaa ! Enjoy
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:19 am

Welcome to the site. It's weird, one little mouse click and BAM, everything changes.

Hopefully this will be a great bonding experience for you both, but be aware that 16 year olds can have a short attention span. Next thing you know he could be looking at something with such new fangled gadgets like A/C, PS, or even PB. Smile

Thanks for signing up, that was a great read. I hope you stick around so we can hear how you and the van are coming along. I'm sure Don and the others will be more than happy to help you out and get that puppy road worthy.

another introduction Empty Thanks again

Post by Guest Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:41 am

We'll take pictures along the way. You're right about the short attention span but I think with little trouble, it will be a descent driver and that'll help. Should be a lot of fun and I like the fact that everything is fairly simple and easy to get to.
    His Birthday is the 31st so stay tuned!

Talk to you all soon,
    Todd
    PolarBear2
    PolarBear2

Number of posts : 183
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by PolarBear2 Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:33 am

Welcome to the Forum Todd and Welcome to Vanning.

You too Ryan, Happy Freakin' Birthday!!!! (I'm sure you'll read this on the 31st)

My first vehicle was a `72 E150 Ford Van my Dad bought for me when I was 16. Been a Van Lover ever since. Although I was bitten by the Mustang Bug for many years, I own 3, I am back into Vanning and working hard on my `69 G10 and a `72 G20 for my Son.

Besides buying that Van for Ryan, the 2nd best thing you've done, (after telling the Mrs.) is find this Site. Someone here can help you do this, find that, or answer probably any question you guys might have. As mentioned www.VCVC.org is another great site and bunch of guys with a wealth of info and help with these Early Chevy Vans.

You boys have a blast working on and crusin' in your newest member of the Family. Hugs & Kisses for Mom too don't forget.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:40 am

Great story! Welcome, and congratulations. Have you told your wife yet? Better get her involved so she can share in the "cool" points! Vans are something that the whole family can get involved in... don't mean to make assumptions, but for example women are better tailors than men (except my parents... my Dad's a master tailor), and men enjoy the greasy work more... so everybody can be involved in this birthday present!

Cheers!
    Corey

another introduction Empty Are we having fun yet?

Post by Guest Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:15 am

A couple of Van Shows should inspire Ryan of all the possibilities that lay ahead with his blank canvas. You'll find the Van culture crowd very friendly & extremely helpful, also make sure Ryan takes a camera, you don't want him to miss any great opportunities for him to build a idea book. Smile Wishing you lots of fun with you & your son on your project van. Cool
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Post by Nightmoves Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:48 am

Happy early birthday Ryan !
    Yeah,make sure to carry yourselves through Members Showcase for pics of progress on other vans plus Members Gallery (up at top of page) .That will get his head full of all kinds of "Man..look at that"s and "Check that out !"s
    It does that to me ,and I'm 16x3 now. Haaaaa !
    wacko
    wacko

Number of posts : 423
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by wacko Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:19 am

Hey Welcome and congrats on the new van. Definately got a good deal. Looking forward to seeing pics and hearing how the Birthday goes
    Kakster
    Kakster

Number of posts : 236
    Registration date : 2008-05-18

Post by Kakster Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:00 pm

Love the story and welcome. The guys here can offer ton of help. This reminds me of my first van, a 69 Ford shortie, my buddy helped inspect it, but he was checking out the girl selling the van more than the van. So by the time I got it home the motor had a bad lifter knock . My pal then said "guess you need to rebuild the motor". Well that started my learing about mechanics and fixing things, a great experience. I figure your son will learn a bunch of useful things fixing his new van and have a great time crusing iin it.
    oo3

Number of posts : 290
    Registration date : 2008-06-01

Post by oo3 Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:12 pm

if you can find some new bushings for the shift linkage it should take care of that problem - oo3

another introduction Empty The Big Boss

Post by Guest Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:49 pm

Since you mentioned this, I forgot to ask.......what DID your wife say when you told her.....or that hasn't happen yet? I think we're all pretty curious!!! scratch Happy 16th Birthday Ryan, your one very lucky guy!!! Smile

Post by Guest Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:47 pm

welcome to the site, I hate to tell you but your son and maybe you will be vanners for the rest of your life. I had an early ford when I was about 18, then later got a late model dodge. In fact in 1978 I sold a smokey and the bandit trans am that was only about a year old to get back into a van, and never regreted it. Any time in my life that I didn't have a van (at least a mini van) I wanted one. I've owned MG's, old pickups, a 50 ford, a model a hot rod, a custom 60 chevy wagon and a really nice corvette, but the van bug got the best of me, and when the vette went to it's new home in Ireland, I was back in the van business again, and can't see getting rid of it.

Thanks for getting your son that van, he'll love it, some of his friends will love it, and some won't understand, but it's the starting point for some of the best memories of his life.

Post some photos, and tell us the reaction when he finds out!

Welcome to the site

Rob

Post by Guest Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:28 am

Welcome aboard! sounds like you have a really cool project in the works!
    PolarBear2
    PolarBear2

Number of posts : 183
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by PolarBear2 Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:46 pm

tic.....tic....tic....tic....tic.....tic....

3 days and counting! Rolling Eyes
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Post by Nightmoves Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:35 pm

Three significate years in a young mans life,...16-18-21
    16-- Drivers Licence !!! first taste of limited freedom
    18-Old enough to be held accountable as an adult,but still not legal
    21-Finally legal ! but not near as much fun, because your legal Basketball

Sponsored content