VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Webber Carb Question

grpphoto
    grpphoto

Number of posts : 14
    Registration date : 2012-07-03

Webber Carb Question Empty Webber Carb Question

Post by grpphoto Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:54 pm

My Econoline has a 200 CID engine from a Maverick. I bought a Weber carburetor and a Clifford adaptor for it, but the adaptor mounts the carb at 90 degrees to the stock carb mounting. That puts the float on the side. I have heard that mounting it that way will cause flooding when turning right and fuel starvation when turning left.

How bad a problem is this? I can make an adaptor to turn it back around, but it's a PITA. The only reason I'm considering it is that the throttle linkage will work better if I do. Is the float situation a real problem in driving on the street?

George in NJ.
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Webber Carb Question Empty Re: Webber Carb Question

Post by Big W Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:53 pm

But if you had it the right way wouldn't the engine do the same thing under heavy exceleration and braking? I'm only asking becus I have never heard of this happening before with a side ways carb. I'm curious, and hope those that no will chime in.
    Barnabas
    Barnabas
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

Post by Barnabas Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:10 am

grpphoto wrote:My Econoline has a 200 CID engine from a Maverick. I bought a Weber carburetor and a Clifford adaptor for it, but the adaptor mounts the carb at 90 degrees to the stock carb mounting. That puts the float on the side. I have heard that mounting it that way will cause flooding when turning right and fuel starvation when turning left.

George in NJ.

If it does that, then the float is loose and needs to be fixed.

You could convert to a cable throttle. I took the cable throttle system from a 240 Econoline and put it on my 200. I was using a Holley 5200 with an adapter.
    grpphoto
    grpphoto

Number of posts : 14
    Registration date : 2012-07-03

Post by grpphoto Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:32 pm

I believe the Holley 5200 is my Weber made under license. Thanks for posting. I can rig a cable to the lever of my existing linkage and get it working that way, but I'll take a look at the 240 cable and see if that's better.

Right now it's about 18 degrees & the van's parked outside, so I have some time to research and buy parts. Cool

George in NJ

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 7:34 pm