VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Carb question

Jessetygr
    Jessetygr

Number of posts : 90
    Registration date : 2012-01-06

Carb question  Empty Carb question

Post by Jessetygr Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:00 am

Hey guys,
    After I've been running my van for a while, I've noticed that my carb drips out a bit of gas when the van is shut off & the engine is cooling down.. It doesn't appear to be leaking at all when running but more when things are shut down.. It almost seems like its draining excess gas in the carb once the engine is stopped... Any thoughts on where I should start looking to fix it? Is this normal?
    Thx
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Carb question  Empty Re: Carb question

Post by donivan65 Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:23 pm

That would be a normal problem people have,,,,,now does it happen only when the engine is hot or even on a cold engine,,,,,gas expands when it gets hot, so it will flow down into the carb when it gets hot,,,,there are some base plates that keep some of the heat from the engine from climbing up into the carb,,,,,but there is no smog equipment so the carb is vented into the doghouse anyways,,,,best plan I think is add a fan on top of the bellypan,,,,it keeps the doghouse cool,,,it keeps the carb cool so it does not boil the gas and pushes the fumes away and it cools the radiator down also,,,I would not leave home without mine,,,,,,

Carb question  Fanbur11
    Jessetygr
    Jessetygr

Number of posts : 90
    Registration date : 2012-01-06

Post by Jessetygr Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:44 pm

Thanks for the advice Donivan.
    As you said, it actually seems to only drip/boil gas when the engine is shut off after its well warmed up and has been driven around..
    I've read quite a few posts about the need of adding a 2nd fan to help keep things cooling down as well as circulated some air when it's not rolling.. Guess thats next on the list after new kingpins!
    Thx again for the help!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:29 pm

If it is leaking everytime you shut the engine down, cold or hot, I would be looking at the needle and seat or a defective float or setting,,,but if it seems related to the heat, thats just the way they were built,,,,,so grab an electric fan off of any newer car, (mine just happens to be a Honda one)and mount it,,,,,I also have a twist ceiling fan house timer on mine,,,,I twist it and forget about it and it cools things down and shuts off,,,,,,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 8:15 pm