VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+10
econopoor
RodStRace
Twinpilot001
66ThunderVan
EconoUSAparts
wylee
cl350rr
G-Man
DanTheVanMan
bugman
14 posters

New to the van world and this is what I am starting with

bugman
    bugman

Number of posts : 72
    Registration date : 2011-12-17

New to the van world and this is what I am starting with  Empty New to the van world and this is what I am starting with

Post by bugman Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:01 pm

New to the van world and this is what I am starting with  Van_2015New to the van world and this is what I am starting with  Van_2016New to the van world and this is what I am starting with  Van_2017
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

New to the van world and this is what I am starting with  Empty Re: New to the van world and this is what I am starting with

Post by DanTheVanMan Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:10 pm

Welcome bugman!

Looks like you have an excellent starting point. That van looks to be in amazing shape!

For any question at all you can "Search" the forums on any topic imaginable. Most everything has been covered at one time or another. And if you don't see it? Just ask. The folks here are eager to help and the combined knowledge of our membership is unrivaled!

Again, welcome and we look forward to seeing your progress! Oh, one more thing "We love Pictures!" Smile

Dan

Here's a few links that always help get newcomers started:

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/f43-general-posting-tips

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/f42-picture-posting-101-help-only-not-for-individual-picture-posting

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/f19-this-is-how-it-s-done

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/f38-meet-the-members

And a few of my fav's:

Main Site Home Page....

http://www.vintage-vans.com/

Member's Gallery....

http://vintage-vans.smugmug.com/

VintAGE-Vans.com Gear

http://www.vintage-vans.com/gear.html

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

New to the van world and this is what I am starting with  Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

New to the van world and this is what I am starting with  Empty Re: New to the van world and this is what I am starting with

Post by G-Man Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:13 pm

Welcome!!! What you have in case you didn't know this is a Display van. Your van was a work van for companies like Ma Bell , Sears just to name a few. Looks to be very solid, glad you join the forum. If you have questions ask and someone will be glad to help
    cl350rr
    cl350rr

Number of posts : 287
    Registration date : 2011-07-31

Post by cl350rr Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:06 pm

Nice starting point, welcom from VA
    wylee
    wylee

Number of posts : 917
    Registration date : 2009-04-03

Post by wylee Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:46 pm

you have a great starting point sir. good luck with her.....
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:06 pm

Looks to be a 63 or 64 display van in excellent condition. Nice score!

Post by Guest Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:14 pm

That is a very nice looking van. Is that a repaint or original? And welcome to the site..

Post by Guest Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:17 pm

One more thing...to anyone who may know, are the display vans rarer than window or panel vans??
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:25 pm

They aren't worth more, but would say yes they are rare because most were work trucks that were worked to death

Post by Guest Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:28 pm

Good point G-Man,that makes sence. I think they are cool.
    bugman
    bugman

Post by bugman Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:41 pm

It has 45,000 miles it is original paint and is has sat in a garage for twenty years. I look forward to start digging in to it.

Post by Guest Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:47 pm

bugman wrote:It has 45,000 miles it is original paint and is has sat in a garage for twenty years. I look forward to start digging in to it.

Sweet van bugman. If you don't mind my asking, what do you have in mind for it?
    bugman
    bugman

Post by bugman Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:25 pm

My main goal is to just get it mechanically sound right now. I want to have the body and look of it to keep its classic look. As far as the inside I am not completely sure of it yet.

New to the van world and this is what I am starting with  Empty great pics

Post by Guest Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:33 pm

cool van

Post by Guest Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:35 pm

Very nice, starting point. I am new to this too, yours is the first display van that I have seen. What a great find. I am restoring a panel van and plan to go mostly original too. I have a few pics of mine in the gallery, but am still getting the hang of the site. So much great info here, and friendly people too.
    Steve

Post by Guest Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:41 pm

bugman wrote:My main goal is to just get it mechanically sound right now. I want to have the body and look of it to keep its classic look. As far as the inside I am not completely sure of it yet.

It would be cool to (very carefully) run a polisher over it. I have an original paint van and that (and a coat of wax) really brought out a nice vintage looking shine.
    66ThunderVan
    66ThunderVan

Number of posts : 384
    Registration date : 2012-01-08

Post by 66ThunderVan Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:45 pm

Wow, that puppy is clean!
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:33 pm

Nice one - wish I had that display van - they are cool!! Happy Vannin[i]
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:45 pm

I would have buffed it even a year ago, but I've found there is a better way.
    Please take the time to read this, most of us would be thrilled with having original paint.
    Please do this the right way and make us all even more jelous!

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/25304-secret-removing-oxidation-restoring-show-car-finish-antique-single-stage-paints.html

In addition to that forum which has great info, here's another. http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?33-How-To-Articles

Warning, these guys are SERIOUS about making their cars look perfect.
    You can be sure they can guide you on everything from washing and drying to glass spots.

Post by Guest Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:00 pm

That is great info Rod, I didn't have time to read the whole thing right now but I'm going to for sure.
    In no way was I suggesting to buff w/ a stiff compound though, what I did was use a soft polish pad and a fine polish at low speeds and then a coat of wax.
    Thanks for the link, I always like good info!!
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:06 pm

Hey, glad to share, that's how I found out about it!

I haven't posted it before because it really hasn't come up. I wonder how many members have decent original or good quality respray in single stage paint? Not many I'd bet!
    For the rest of us, seeing a Black vette go from showroom clean to show car perfect is a bit disheartening, so I hesitated posting it before, but we can all learn something from good detailing sites, even if it can't all be applied to our crusty old vans.
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:10 pm

That is one sweet van. Clean, straight, & original paint. Doesn't get any better.

Duane in Tennessee.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:24 pm

Welcome trylon!!!!
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:43 pm

campin'fool wrote:One more thing...to anyone who may know, are the display vans rarer than window or panel vans??

Window vans are common,displays much less common and panels are rare in that order from what I've run across over the years. The rarest however is a panel Supervan.

Post by Guest Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:50 pm

EconoUSAparts wrote:
    campin'fool wrote:One more thing...to anyone who may know, are the display vans rarer than window or panel vans??

Window vans are common,displays much less common and panels are rare in that order from what I've run across over the years. The rarest however is a panel Supervan.

Thanks, I was wondering about that.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 12:37 pm