VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+11
dix
Twinpilot001
clinsenbarh
kookykrispy
Lazarusvan
Roman
Vanish
Digz
G-Man
Big W
jrinaman
15 posters

dash options, eliminating dash speaker.

wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1388
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

dash options, eliminating dash speaker. - Page 2 Empty Re: dash options, eliminating dash speaker.

Post by wideload Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:36 am

Ditdater is this what your looking for? That piece was on the dash of my 66. It was pop-rivited over the top of the large hole. The radio that was in it wasn't a stock one and the piece is made out of aluminum. I'm going to hang on to it until get the dash fixed the way I want it.

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t2900p15-project-route-66-banana

mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Number of posts : 823
    Registration date : 2009-01-08

dash options, eliminating dash speaker. - Page 2 Empty Re: dash options, eliminating dash speaker.

Post by mbasaraba Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:21 am

I am going to be making a replacement panel for cculella's dash. I can make the outside dimensions whatever is needed. I will be picking up material this week that is the same thickness as the dash sheet metal then cutting them out on my CNC plasma.

dash options, eliminating dash speaker. - Page 2 Repair10
    VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by VANagain Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:37 am

My dad gave me this in-dash compass about 25 years ago! I always vowed to put it in one of my vehicles but never did. Now is the time!

dash options, eliminating dash speaker. - Page 2 Compas10

Anyone know what car this is out of? I'm guessing my dad swiped it from the Ford company when he and his brother worked there in the 50s!

I like the idea of eliminating the speaker hole but I wanted to keep the ash tray and radio. I needed something there besides the compass so I'm going to put a clock next to it. I'll have other gauges elsewhere. Man, they don't make many analog clocks!

I've tried a few layouts in Photoshop but this is what I keep coming back to. (This is not my van. Just using the photo for mockups. But that is my stereo, 8-track, compass and clock):

dash options, eliminating dash speaker. - Page 2 Dash_n10

Anyone got any better suggestions?
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1388
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

Post by wideload Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:58 am

I like it !!! Clean, simple , and functional.

mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Number of posts : 823
    Registration date : 2009-01-08

Post by mbasaraba Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:22 am

That compass is REALLY cool! I agree with Mike, that will look simple and CLEAN!
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

Post by jrinaman Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:43 am

that is along the lines of what i was thinking. i just picked up a radio face plate to match my corvair glove box door and was thinking of plating or painting the ashtray. and yes, functional anologue clocks are hard to find. there are 12 v clock movements fairly cheap if you wanted to restore a broken one.
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

Post by jrinaman Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:05 pm

getting closer to finishing dash. have a clock dated '54 that i totally restored and added 12 blacklight led's found a new in box radio from '70's and converted it to blacklight led's and made dail/face flourescent/black light reactive. my dash cluster is also redone with same and i changed it to 120 mph. just finished painting dash with 2 coats primer, 3 coats black laquer and 5 coats clear. with lights off, looks normal but when on, everything glows from blacklights. i cant get a good pic with lights on. dash options, eliminating dash speaker. - Page 2 Dash_010dash options, eliminating dash speaker. - Page 2 Dash_011dash options, eliminating dash speaker. - Page 2 Dash_012dash options, eliminating dash speaker. - Page 2 Dash_013dash options, eliminating dash speaker. - Page 2 Pit_cr10

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 11:09 pm