VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+11
dix
Twinpilot001
clinsenbarh
kookykrispy
Lazarusvan
Roman
Vanish
Digz
G-Man
Big W
jrinaman
15 posters

dash options, eliminating dash speaker.

jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

dash options, eliminating dash speaker. Empty dash options, eliminating dash speaker.

Post by jrinaman Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:23 pm

i will be eliminating the dash speaker and need something to fill the void. a gps is probably not period correct (like it matters) and would like it to look 'as if' it was done way back when. my speedo bezel is chrome and have aluminum corvair glove box door so want something to match. thought about a clock but anything from '60's that works is a couple hundred. i wear a wrist watch and have clock on my phone. probably have it on stereo too but cant figure it out. gauges wont look right way over there. not willing to move the ash tray or stereo out of arms reach. looking for ideas, unique is good but needs to be functional. not going to hack up my dash for something that is useless.
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

dash options, eliminating dash speaker. Empty Re: dash options, eliminating dash speaker.

Post by Big W Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:27 pm

How about a nice set of folding drink trays. Maybe some earlier years might have some chrome on them. Or even a pull out tray.
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

dash options, eliminating dash speaker. Empty Re: dash options, eliminating dash speaker.

Post by jrinaman Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:42 pm

that would be perfect IF i can find something with '60's look. way more useful than the clock.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:57 pm

Brothers used to sell a drink holder that replaced the ash tray in 67-72 pickups. You would need a section of dash with a ashtray from a pickup to make it work. It slides out and holds two drinks I think
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:00 pm

Start putting your show plaques over it. The magnetic ones anyway. be something to do until you find what ya want ,,lol
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Post by Vanish Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:07 pm

Don shaved the Dash on the No Door ... I Like it a Lot !!!!!

dash options, eliminating dash speaker. Nodoor57-vi

Roman
    Roman

Number of posts : 822
    Registration date : 2010-09-10

Post by Roman Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:11 pm

You could put a nice high dollar head unit that has XM radio, navigation, Pandora, CD, DVD and the option for a back up camera. I was looking into it, I forget the brand I was pricing at $2700, before I decided to go another route.

You can cut the grill out carefully and hinge it forward so your screen would be hidden behind it.
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Post by jrinaman Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:22 pm

will check brothers, thanks chris. joe, i thought of dash plaques but not exactly what i want. dash is staying intact for a while longer, just planning for when the time comes. roman, i would love the back up camera and other goodies but wouldnt look right, a hidden compartment behind a hinged speaker grill might work though. vanish, thought about smooth like yours, but i need ash tray and stereo and like them where theyre at so i only have smooth on pass. side. i need something to fill that area.
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

Post by Lazarusvan Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:39 pm

Vanish wrote:Don shaved the Dash on the No Door ... I Like it a Lot !!!!!

dash options, eliminating dash speaker. Nodoor57-vi

I would second Vanish here. I really like the clean dash on mine. Same look, including flat paint job. My radio is above in a console up top like the later conversion vans. Speakers face down on either side of the radio and are built into a roof panel. Nice, clean look.
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:21 am

Lazarusvan wrote: My radio is above in a console up top like the later conversion vans. Speakers face down on either side of the radio and are built into a roof panel. Nice, clean look.

Can you please post pics of your console and radio? I'm thinking of doing the same thing in my '65
    clinsenbarh
    clinsenbarh

Number of posts : 14
    Registration date : 2011-12-14

Post by clinsenbarh Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:53 pm

To plain for me, looks very industrial. Plus I don't like to take my eyes off the road at night to find things while driving, unless she is sitting right next to me.
    Charley
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:15 pm

The High Dollar Clarion radios with 7 " face GPS units are down to 599 on ebay now -good stuff - Ill be cutting my dash out to double din for one.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:28 pm

i put my hat pins or event pins in and reach under to put the clasp on it.
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Post by jrinaman Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:42 pm

had thoughts of an overhead console. mainly storage and switches, but putting the stereo up top does give more room for ??? in the dash. like the cupholder idea but MUST look as if from '60's and they didnt become popular until the '90's. if anything, i would go older, chrome and aluminum, not plastic.
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:06 pm

I had an idea of cutting down or making up something with the same lines as the dash and glove box, but ya cant center it with the ash tray there. passing thought as it was...
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Post by jrinaman Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:15 pm

ya, i thought of a smaller glovebox door in center. maybe open it for an ashtray and cupholder? saw some nice wire type cupholders for boats but didnt want them bolted to dash. could open door for 2 cupholders and a stainless ash tray in middle.
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:22 pm

I just slapped a Big Ol Frigerator magnet on mine til I make up my mind.
    dash options, eliminating dash speaker. Smiley10
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Number of posts : 823
    Registration date : 2009-01-08

Post by mbasaraba Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:49 am

Hmm could leave the grill like it is and that could be used to actually hang the cup holder, kinda like those pantry shelving units. I will make up a model for a dual cup holder and have it fit in and hang from there. I will get some measurements from the 64 tonight.
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:09 am

kookykrispy wrote:
    Lazarusvan wrote: My radio is above in a console up top like the later conversion vans. Speakers face down on either side of the radio and are built into a roof panel. Nice, clean look.

Can you please post pics of your console and radio? I'm thinking of doing the same thing in my '65

Kooky, I have Greg's former van. For all the unexpected, pre-existing issues it came with and things that weren't as good as they appeared, he did this part right (other than the tape deck and one working speaker.) Took some photos for you:

dash options, eliminating dash speaker. Van_co13
    dash options, eliminating dash speaker. Van_co10

[im[url=https://servimg.com/view/16729044/219]dash options, eliminating dash speaker. Van_co12g]https://i.servimg.com/u/f42/16/72/90/44/van_co11.jpg[/img][/url]

dash options, eliminating dash speaker. Van_in12

I also have a similar material used for the interior carpeting up front that is the same color but with some texture. It's a good start, for sure.

Reaching for the dial isn't a big deal unless you want to see the exact station and doesn't require taking your eyes of the road. I am short, so it's a bit of a reach for me.

Here are photos of another 2nd Gen van I checked out that had a near period radio with a newer one in the stash box:

dash options, eliminating dash speaker. Van_in13

dash options, eliminating dash speaker. Van_in14

Last edited by Lazarusvan on Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:14 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Added photos)
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:16 am

(Updated post above w/photos)
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:51 pm

Thanks for posting those pics! Thats a really nice console
    ditdater
    ditdater

Number of posts : 590
    Registration date : 2010-11-06

dash options, eliminating dash speaker. Empty searhing for missing thread ...

Post by ditdater Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:30 pm

i thought it was from this thread , but someone posted a pic of a piece of sheet metal ,they pulled off there 1st gen chevy dash ,that the stock radio mounts to ,because someone earlier had cut out the dash for a large radio,then wanted to put an original back in. and this owner was not going orig., and pulled that made piece off sheet metal back off .
    anyway if the person w/ that piece doesnt need it ,i/m looking to go back orig. radio , and would be interested in it if available ,in order not to think about cutting up a new piece to insert.\ danny t
    ditdater
    ditdater

Number of posts : 590
    Registration date : 2010-11-06

dash options, eliminating dash speaker. Empty still searching for that threead

Post by ditdater Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:17 pm

still cant figure where that thread is
    clinsenbarh
    clinsenbarh

Number of posts : 14
    Registration date : 2011-12-14

Post by clinsenbarh Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:48 pm

I think it maybe in the parts section or forum I saw it also.
    Charley
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:26 pm

Something to double check on , is there may have been 2 different sized holes for the stock radios. Im not sure about this ,, its just that the hole in my dash isnt big enough for the radios that have the preset buttons.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:33 pm