VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
vanner68
Digz
austinmodhouse
dodge man
8 posters

speaker location

dodge man
    dodge man

Number of posts : 2036
    Registration date : 2012-08-08

speaker location Empty speaker location

Post by dodge man Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:08 pm

i'm ready to install my cd player, i cut the hole for the player and both speakers in the panel in front of the bed, i ordered a 8'' subwoofer and amp, should i cut a hole for the woofer or put it in a speaker box and leave it under the bed? and should i buy 2 more speakers and install them beside the 2 i have or will the 2 speakers and subwoofer be enough, i just want good sound not to loud,
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Number of posts : 575
    Registration date : 2010-07-30

speaker location Empty Re: speaker location

Post by austinmodhouse Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:58 pm

lot of variables there. what sort of amp do you have driving the two speakers? and what size are they? I’m thinking two are likely enough… you can always add more later.
    dodge man
    dodge man

Post by dodge man Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:07 pm

sony 100watt speakers and kicker 200 watt amp,400 watt woofer, i think i'll try it with just the 2 speakers and the subwoofer with amp, i just wandered if i added 2 more speakers if it would sound better, but i would have to mount them side by side, i want to keep everything under the bed,
    dodge man
    dodge man

Post by dodge man Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:26 pm

mostly wandering if i should mount the subwoofer in an opening in front of the bed or should i put it in a speaker box and leave it under the bed?
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Post by austinmodhouse Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:02 pm

I’m assuming the 400 watt amp is powering the woofer. or do you have the sony spears powere by A circuit and B circuit bridged (200 watt) for the sub?

if you have the sub powered by the 400w amp and no external amp for the speakers, you might need an additional amp or you may be bass heavy.

bass is omnidirectional (doesn’t need to be aimed toward your ear), while high frequencies work better when aimed at their listener. people that mount tweeters down by their knees and feet are loosing some of the benefit of having tweeters at all.

that said, I’d think you can probably make a better/tighter enclosure just for the sub and mount it under the bed w/o making a hole. it’ll give you a cleaner look too. you’ll get pissed if something rolls around and punctures an exposed woofer.

dodge man
    dodge man

Post by dodge man Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:11 pm

i thought that might be the better way, i'll buy a small speaker box and leave under the bed, do you think i should hook up the two speakers to the amp? i was just going to hook them to the back of the cd player,
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Post by austinmodhouse Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:20 pm

I doubt the head unit is not going to be able to keep up w/ that sub.

if you really want quality sound, it’s about clean power and speakers. you’ll be happier with adequate clean power to the speakers before considering to add more speakers.

for the sub box, just make sure it’s fastened down or it’s gonna bounce and rattle…. well,…. you’ll probably have all sorts of rattles to chase down when that things starts to thump.
    dodge man
    dodge man

Post by dodge man Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:47 pm

thanks for all your help, i'll just have adjust the amp so that its not sounding like a drug van, lol
    dodge man
    dodge man

Post by dodge man Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:50 pm

wich 2 wires should i use for the small speakers the front speaker wires or the rear speaker wires? or doesnt it mater
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:04 pm

I'm starting something like this myself right now. My thinking would be if the speakers are in the rear thats the wires to use,, I'm betting after your into it a bit your going to want a pair mounted more forward. I'm temp running a pair of 100W at the back right now, It's loud enough but you get that cavern effect. I'll be sticking some in by the front seats someplace, also shouldn't have to crank it up as much to hear it.
    dodge man
    dodge man

Post by dodge man Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:10 pm

thats a good idea maybe mount a pair under the front seats, a couple small boxes to mount to walls behind the seats,
    vanner68
    vanner68

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

Post by vanner68 Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:25 pm

I have a 700w Pioneer amp and one Kicker L7 for the sub, 200 watt MTX and two 10" MTX for mid-bass, 4 6" coax for mid-high, and two tweeters that will mount above the windshield for highs. Sub in back, facing rear doors, mid subs facing forward under rear bench seat (69 T-bird rear seat) the coax will be in rear doors and overhead just behind the front seats. Head unit will have bluetooth since all my music is on my phone anyway.
    dodge man
    dodge man

Post by dodge man Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:41 am

that should rattle some windows, i would think if you keep it all under control it would sound great,

Post by Guest Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:57 pm

Nice. Info here, so far I Got a pair of cadillac bose system speakers with amps on the back, they are small but sound just nice. They are powered by a toggle switch so they are not always on. Under the front seats i got a pair of altec lansing computer speakers my brother was throwing away, they have an abs plastic box and sound nice. Someday i may consider building a decent system.
    wylee
    wylee

Number of posts : 917
    Registration date : 2009-04-03

Post by wylee Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:18 am

im also working tward this. i would like to have 10 - 12" speakers but their subwoofers.. i dont want that thump thump sound like the kids do. i cannot find regular speakers that size. can i use a set of indoor speakers from an old steiro? .
    vanner68
    vanner68

Post by vanner68 Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:32 am

I have used home stereo speakers but they tend to rot faster than automotive ones. Keep them out of the sun and they might last longer.
    Space Truckin
    Space Truckin

Number of posts : 1279
    Registration date : 2009-10-17

Post by Space Truckin Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:45 am

Wanting to sound good this is what I am going with

1.JL Audio XD600/1 to power (4) Alpine Type R SWR-843D 8"shallow mount subs mounted under bed

2. JL Audio XD 600/6 to power (4) pair RTR V44-2 Satellite speakers mounted w 180' brackets

3. Alpine HCE-115 Rear backup camera

4. Kenwoood DDX-719 Head unt w Navigation mounted in console built forward of dog house tunnel

5. Kenwood (2) compact disc changer, as I am a dinosaur and do not like mp3 players because of music compression
    vanner68
    vanner68

Post by vanner68 Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:17 am

I am LOLing at #5

CD's are a little warmer than mp3, but not much. Too bad vinyl skips on thr road.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:34 am

I agree with That # 5 Space T - totally= heck i done even want a cell anymore !! cheers
    Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

Post by Gothboy Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:49 am

Whatre you guya talking about? Its ALL about the REVERB units!!! Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 4:51 am