VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
eric67vanpkup
Twinpilot001
itruns
mbasaraba
8 posters

The hard choices

mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Number of posts : 823
    Registration date : 2009-01-08

The hard choices Empty The hard choices

Post by mbasaraba Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:14 am

I have been behind the scenes for a couple years just reading and drooling over the vans here. My wife has wanted one for years and I am giving in and seriously looking to add one to the family.

First off we have 4 kids and so require a lot of space to haul them and lets face it, modern mini vans suck. We are wanting a window van not a panel like so many want.

Secondly, I have always been a Chevy man. Restored a 67 Chevelle out of high school and helped others on their restores. I know from helping my bro on his 65 Cornet 440 2 Door hard top that even though I love the looks of the Dodge vans I don't want to go down that road. I have always found Ford to be way more expensive parts wise and a bit harder to come by.

I found a decent Ford Falcon (the guy thinks its a 67 but haven't verified that) only 10 miles from home. Body is in great shape he is wanting $1200. It has a lot of potential but I worry about highway driving with it for the wife since she is wanting one as a daily driver to and from work and dropping the kids. We know we want to do a V8 swap, we don't have reservation about not original or anything and adding air which is a must here in the south. Was thinking I could find a newer Mustang or T-bird to donate a motor, tranny and all the plumbing and wiring.

We also got a line on a Chevy van, not confirmed yet about 300 miles away and while that isnt that far, getting the equipment and help to load and haul it might be an issue. Chevy would seem so much easier seeing as all thCamaro and Monte out there that could be ninja`d for a 305 or 350 donor.

They is a lot of years of experience and expertise here and am looking for some feedback on Chevy vs Ford. What sort of issues would I face with this Falcon van? I don't know what motor it has but like I said I would be pulling it and going the V8 route anyways. I have access to a machine shop and am an avid fabricator and "Engineer" when it comes to metal working. Am I going to have more headache and sink more money than its worth to get a Ford on the road for actual cruising speeds?

Decisions decisions...
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

The hard choices Empty Re: The hard choices

Post by itruns Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:33 am

After seeing all the body damage bondo and problem area rust spots after I stripped the paint off my dodge, I would say go with the one with the best body/least rust.

Will your wife be able to handle the manual brakes and steering? I have yet to see an early with power steering and only heard of one with power brakes.

I like the longer wheelbase GM and Dodge vans vs the extended rear ends of the Fords.

Just throwing some stuff out there for you. TBMain loves his Ford. You may want to shout him a PM. I'm sure the Ford and GM guys will chime in soon enough.
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:50 am

I have already been contemplating the brakes and power steering or more like steer assist ideas. Pretty much I am going to just get a van and see the set up and then start designing the CAD to see how it will all fit together.

Really hope I get seem pro and con comparisons to help us get a better idea which way to go.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:07 am

Hi Matt - hehe =matt here & just my 2 cents = fords are more available -made longer than GM & dodges- yet within all available - rust & damages are what to look for .Depending on what you really need -the vans after 66 are better only due to upgarded brake systems & available with V-8 power from factory, Now that said- so many already have also been upgraded to by previous owners. Yet may be costlier to you?? There are some nice deals out there too - just look for them. Im a chev (GM) man by choice- easier for me to work on.There is a van out there with your name on it - just consider maybe finding a later model in great shape for the family & one for what your are wanting also- better on wifee & kids to drive with PS & Pbrakes too .Happy Vannin

Post by Guest Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:42 am

Econoline parts are more available and cheaper than Dodge and Chevy. A lot of people want to go with a V8 but there is no reason to unless you just want to be able to say I have a V8 in my van. A Ford 240 built up will have more HP and torque than a 302. I have done the V8 thing and will never do it again. Even a built Ford 200 ci will get better HP, torque, and gas mileage than a 302.
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:54 am

What are your thoughts on drivability? Have seen lots of talk about the gearing and such and still I am a bit uninformed on the difference in models. The one near me I have been looking at is supposedly a 67 Falcon but haven't seen a title or registration to confirm as of yet. I am hoping to get with the guy this weekend and pull it out from behind the early 50s Volvo he has sitting there.

Post by Guest Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:31 am

The 67 would be your best bet since it has a dual master cylinder. It may already have a 240 and a 9" rear too. Once you get all of the bugs out they are a kick in the pants to drive. The leaf springs will most likely need to be re-arched and it will probably need new shocks and the front end should be inspected. I recommend front disc brakes which two member here sell. I use disc brake conversion kits from dddiscbrakes on my Econos. Power brakes are not necessary. I also recommend Vintage Air for the A/C. These vans only way 2800-3300 pounds so they are light and a well built 240 will do everything you want it to do and then some. I would recommend a C4 tarns which some of the Falcon vans came stock with.
    eric67vanpkup
    eric67vanpkup

Number of posts : 85
    Registration date : 2010-12-07

The hard choices Empty The hard choices

Post by eric67vanpkup Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:46 pm

I have got a 1967 falcon window van for sale. It is a stock automatic but someone put a 250 in it. It has some rust inside the cargo doors and under the spare tire location. The outside of the body has some dings. The lower front valance piece has a push in place. I got the whole piece from another van to fix that place. I am including a link to my photbucket account it is the brownish looking one. I live in North Miss. Just south of Memphis.
    Eric. MS
    https://m1121.photobucket.com/albums/eric67vanpkup/?o=32&pbauth=1_uLEBonVPfaLdh1h3YMYz2TYqaGzHFnO9hWqpXroxZNNjgO0%2FXZbrV0NfElaccYDPxUboV38aybUDIbxpoq9sZ38K9wH%2BiGFhok7YGFDeGheAVQbJOAIE%2BMQVeWDzXc%2FXmykOsuQxBDw2CQWFteX6l62hbBgdtFKaZ4A%2BQ%2F9SGM8%3D

G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:30 pm

Being you want a daily driver and not a drive once and a while Hot Rod I would stick with the 6. They are good motors and better gas mileage too
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:12 pm

eric67vanpkup wrote:I have got a 1967 falcon window van for sale. It is a stock automatic but someone put a 250 in it. It has some rust inside the cargo doors and under the spare tire location. The outside of the body has some dings. The lower front valance piece has a push in place. I got the whole piece from another van to fix that place. I am including a link to my photbucket account it is the brownish looking one. I live in North Miss. Just south of Memphis.
    Eric. MS
    https://m1121.photobucket.com/albums/eric67vanpkup/?o=32&pbauth=1_uLEBonVPfaLdh1h3YMYz2TYqaGzHFnO9hWqpXroxZNNjgO0%2FXZbrV0NfElaccYDPxUboV38aybUDIbxpoq9sZ38K9wH%2BiGFhok7YGFDeGheAVQbJOAIE%2BMQVeWDzXc%2FXmykOsuQxBDw2CQWFteX6l62hbBgdtFKaZ4A%2BQ%2F9SGM8%3D

Does it run and drive? How much are you asking? Can pm if you want.
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

Post by jrinaman Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:33 pm

if your a chevy man, get a chevy. 6 monthes and xx dollars later, you will regret buying the wrong van. nothing wrong with ford, but dont buy what you dont want because its there. if you said you was a ford man looking at a chevy, i would say to keep looking for a ford.
    SDEconoTruck
    SDEconoTruck

Number of posts : 310
    Registration date : 2010-05-26

Post by SDEconoTruck Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:48 pm

I'm a Ford guy and I was thinking the same thing as
    jrinaman, be patient, look/ask around and get what
    you really want... ...you will be glad you did in
    the long run.
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:59 am

What jrinaman and SDFconotruck said!!!!

No matter what you buy, if it a 40 something year old unibody van, you ARE going to be puting alot of blood swet and tears into it (money too) so you best start with what you want.

I started with a 65 Chevy and I always wanted a 69. I still want a 69 alot, but I'm in too deep into this 65 and can't turn back now!

All three makes have their pros and cons. When your talking something of this vintage that everything needs overhaul, repair or some kind of work anyway the pros and cons just fade into the dust and are erelevant anyway.

There is two power steering options for the Chevy, both are a fair amount of work and I can tell you for sure there are several good disc brake options and a couple power brake options as well. All take engineering and fabrication but that sound like its right up your ally if you do CAD.

I would be happy to help you out there.

scroll through this 600+ pictures (best to pick view all and wait for it to load)

https://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o122/m1dadio/

M1D
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:38 am

That sure is a pretty van M1D. The wife was drooling. I really hope that Chevy works out for us in Georgia. Still waiting to find out if the guy still has it.

I imagine I will build a roll table for the body/frame so I can work on the under car age once I pull the motor and tranny. I been building automated rolling weld fixtures for my go Kart
    and bike frames for years, this will just need to be bigger.

Last edited by mbasaraba on Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:53 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:45 am

Also think I am going to have to finish the 2nd side of my shop. I have a 30 x 60 but a wall seperates it and 20 x 30 is storage that I hide my Fiat in. Maybe I should get it poured and insulated and move my mill/lathe and bender over and make room for a 4 x 8 plasma table.

As far as CAD goes, anyone can make it, its another matter to put it into practice. I designed a full body patio swing and it was a wonder in soft copy. Once I started cutting and bending it was a totally different matter. I have to say my products continually evolve and improve but it is the hands on that really seperates the Fabricator from a Designer. I been an Aroespace Engineer for 9 years and hate dealing with designers.

Post by Guest Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:02 am

mbasaraba wrote:That sure is a pretty van M1D. The wife was drooling. I really hope that Chevy works out for us in Georgia. Still waiting to find out if the guy still has it.

I imagine I will build a roll table for the body/frame so I can work on the under car age once I pull the motor and tranny. I been building automated rolling weld fixtures for my go Kart
    and bike frames for years, this will just need to be bigger.

Check out my two Econos here:

http://rides.truckinweb.com/ride/1001887/imvanishingbreed/1966/ford/e-100-econoline/index.html

http://rides.truckinweb.com/ride/1014141/imvanishingbreed/1965/ford/e-100-econoline/index.html
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:46 am

Dang bro I need to show that to the wife when I get home! That is some beautiful paint and so much attention to detail.

I love the panels but first she needs a window for a daily. I have to admit that the prospect of our own sexually twisted version of a "Shaggin Wagon" might be forseable in the not to distant future. Lol

I am just glad she is into vintage. After all the money I sank into my Fiat Spider and it is maybe half done, I never expected her to be as enthusiastic about another project. We really want this one to be able to do the long haul if we want to take a trip or tow the boat, the main reason I am thinking of finding a 90s TA or Camaro to donate the motor, tranny and all wiring.

I got an email from Whopman a bit ago and the guy near him with the 67 we r interested in wasn't home but left him notes to get a old of him. Hopefully by the end of the month we will be knee deep in van parts

Post by Guest Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:59 am

I hope you both have as much fun building yours as I do mine. I am currently building a 61 Econoline pickup that I hope will rival my red van called Vanishing Breed.
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:32 am

The ne from Georgia we were looking at getting is gone so still looking for one. The wife going to be upset. Lol

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 9:20 am