VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+6
Vantasia
iambeninla
66e100pu
austinzac
flyinlow
RichardP
10 posters

Front Seat Choices

RichardP
    RichardP

Number of posts : 77
    Registration date : 2013-08-10

Front Seat Choices Empty Front Seat Choices

Post by RichardP Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:44 am

I would like to buy a complete seat such as those offered through Jegs or Summit. Any success storys. The stock seat is a bit stiff to say the least.
    Thanks
    RIchard
    flyinlow
    flyinlow

Number of posts : 42
    Registration date : 2013-01-04

Front Seat Choices Empty Re: Front Seat Choices

Post by flyinlow Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:50 pm

RichardP wrote:I would  like to buy a complete seat such as those offered through Jegs or Summit. Any success storys.  The stock seat is a bit stiff to say the least.
    Thanks
    RIchard

Ford Aerostar seats work and fit great plus they look good and can be picked up very reasonably at wrecking yards.
    austinzac
    austinzac

Number of posts : 9
    Registration date : 2013-12-05

Front Seat Choices Empty Miata Seats

Post by austinzac Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:47 am

As a follow up on this topic, I'm looking at some 06-13 Miata seats (with tracks) from a yard. Ive read here that this should be a good fit. How about mounting? Any suggestions on drilling, modifications, using my existing tracks, etc.

Thanks from a new member.

John
    '65 E Window Van
    66e100pu
    66e100pu

Number of posts : 199
    Registration date : 2011-04-02

Post by 66e100pu Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:09 am

austinzac wrote:As a follow up on this topic, I'm looking at some 06-13 Miata seats (with tracks) from a yard.  Ive read here that this should be a good fit. How about mounting? Any suggestions on drilling, modifications, using my existing tracks, etc.

Thanks from a new member.

John
    '65 E Window Van

Done this more than a few times … seat mounting holes and track mounting holes are seldom ever the same on a seat swap.  Easiest way to handle the problem that I’ve found is to cut a 16 gauge steel panel to fit the new seat bottom and drill to fit the seat attachment holes.  Place the seat with the panel installed on the stock Econoline tracks and drill a second set of holes to attach to them and you’re done.

Front Seat Choices Dscn0410
    iambeninla
    iambeninla

Number of posts : 60
    Registration date : 2012-12-02

Front Seat Choices Empty Scat seats

Post by iambeninla Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:05 pm

I bought the Scat Procar series 1400 lowback seats for my Econoline. I made my own mounts and the seats recline and move forward and back. I paid $400 but did see them at Long Beach car swap meet for $300 a pair. Just my opinion but I don't like highback seats in old cars or trucks. And you know what they say about opinions lol.
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:20 pm

Look in the G-van discussion about the Suburban Seats a lot of guys are buying, new 30" wide sport buckets. Look at these and free shipping anywhere USA...That's a Chevy van pictured but should work just as well in a Ford or Dodge... http://www.suburbanseats.com/c-UNIVERSAL-SEATS.aspx?catid=235
    Barnabas
    Barnabas
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

Post by Barnabas Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:26 pm

Our vans require narrow seats that sit low, that's why seats like those found in a Miata work well. If you are lucky, you might find some nice leather seats out of a wrecked Miata or similar.
    austinzac
    austinzac

Post by austinzac Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:59 pm

Appreciate the helpful responses..

Nice to have all this corporate knowledge for small brains like mine.

I ordered the suburban seats today, which look perfect. The guys and gals at Suburban were great, & btw, input 'sub 20' in the discount code at checkout for an additional $20 off the seats!

I'll be picking your corporate brains in the future, guaranteed.

Thanks again.
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:50 pm

You will love the Suburban seats, at least a dozen G van owners bought them here and at VCVC, they fit great, are low profile and nice and firm ans new and clean! and great quality for the price!
    austinzac
    austinzac

Post by austinzac Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:16 pm

Very cool..

Any E owners out there use these seats?
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by Sy Hollinshead Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:17 pm

I used seats out of a Porsche 911. Leather, heated and electric tilt. And they are really comfy...

Front Seat Choices IMG_0045
    slowmotion
    slowmotion

Number of posts : 30
    Registration date : 2013-09-04

Post by slowmotion Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:47 pm

I would think the seats from a neon would work great too. They are very comfortable and not very expensive. A lot of people use them in the suzuki samurais. I have a pair of high backs in my van. They came with it so I have no idea what they are out of. They are comfortable and the tracks work. So some one did them right.
    SDEconoTruck
    SDEconoTruck

Number of posts : 310
    Registration date : 2010-05-26

Post by SDEconoTruck Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:26 pm

I built my own seats, from existing second row seat frames out of a 2010 Caravan.  I tore them down and cut them all apart, the Passenger's seat is 1-1/4" narrower than the driver's seat because the Doghouse is not on center on the earlies.  I chose the seats because I wanted the seat bottoms absolutely as low as possible on top of the front wheel tubs.  

I had a buddy of mine upholster the seats in the same "Speedline" style as the rest of the interior and Doghouse.  My total cost was just over 300, but I did the fab and welding work myself.  Pretty challenging but I got the seats to still collapse forward and lock flat and also retract back to almost lying down.  

A nice feature were the arm rests which twist up and retract into the seatbacks, giving more room for the Doghouse to open without hitting the seats.  I canceled the outboard armrests in the seats and plan to rely on the stock handle mounted in the door panels.

Headrests come out, or retract down real low on the seat back.

I spent a lot of time designing and building a "stealth" 3-point seat belt system but that is enough for a whole new thread.

Along with cutting and narrowing the Right Seat, I spent a lot of time building the seat brackets.  Note that the brackets are unique as you will not be mounting to a single flat surface, but the floor on your inboard side and the wheel housing on the outboard side.

I KNOW YOU PROBABLY DON'T WANT TO BUILD SEATS, but there are some things to see and to consider, mostly the Doghouse being offset to the Passenger's side, most guys just force it to work but with some planning and lots of measuring you should meet success with your new seats.  Good luck!

Front Seat Choices Seatbu10

Front Seat Choices Imgp7510

Front Seat Choices Seatbu12

Front Seat Choices Seatbu13

Front Seat Choices Imgp7511

Front Seat Choices Seatbu14
    iambeninla
    iambeninla

Number of posts : 60
    Registration date : 2012-12-02

Front Seat Choices Empty Brackets

Post by iambeninla Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:44 pm