VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+55
Vannin Ken
SportVan
chester42
NipRing
Scotts_A100
millwright71
ndjarrett
66 Surf Wagon
Joe Van
Wheelie
Jay 13
Chevboner
Gothboy
sandyvan
dix
the_surfing_guy
southern man
kookykrispy
Space Truckin
vanny
dodge man
thatcherworks
ScottyJones
pan58head
Big W
m1dadio
austinmodhouse
mbasaraba
Lazarusvan
mrclean
LiveWire64
sparky
SDEconoTruck
EconoCarl
Twinpilot001
Nightmoves
BILLS66
sasktrini
Scott
Digz
64chevy
wylee
wacko
RipVanArkie
wideload
DanTheVanMan
mo_1040
itruns
savage
BvrWally
Vanish
G-Man
Kakster
VANagain
donivan65
59 posters

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 15 Empty Re: Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe

Post by donivan65 Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:29 pm

,,,,,now he wants me to dig through my bolt selections and find him 5 Filister head screws,,,,1/4-20 x 5/8,,,,,now what do you think he needs them for,,,,,I am just trying to share the joy of of him and his van with you.....

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 15 Repair27
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 15 Empty Re: Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe

Post by vanny Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:17 pm

I'm sensing a pattern here...No wonder it's taking Rich so long to complete this project. Just kidding. Don, you mean these guys didn't buy you an organizer for Christmas and help you to organize all your spare parts by type and size???

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Space Truckin
    Space Truckin

Number of posts : 1279
    Registration date : 2009-10-17

Post by Space Truckin Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:15 pm

bounce That is looking REALLY nice!!! You/we can't wait to see the finish line santa
    wylee
    wylee

Number of posts : 917
    Registration date : 2009-04-03

Post by wylee Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:44 am

looking sharp..............
    Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

Post by Gothboy Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:54 am

Beautiful choice on the interior paint colour man! NICE!
    the_surfing_guy
    the_surfing_guy

Number of posts : 409
    Registration date : 2012-08-15

Post by the_surfing_guy Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:36 am

Vanagain - looks phenomenal! I'm inspired...
    VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by VANagain Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:20 pm

Oh man, what a good idea -- an organize-Don's-spare-parts party! I've had a couple glimpses into his stash and it's pretty awe inspiring!

The other day I got a little taste of what it's like to be Don when Surfing Guy Scott dropped by my garage. Now that I'm on the homestretch with my van I've got many spare parts too. I was like: "Here, you need one of these, and a couple of these, and this is what that looks like. And when you get to this point you'll need one of these." Etc., etc. Very Happy
    the_surfing_guy
    the_surfing_guy

Number of posts : 409
    Registration date : 2012-08-15

Post by the_surfing_guy Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:33 pm

VANagain wrote:Oh man, what a good idea -- an organize-Don's-spare-parts party! I've had a couple glimpses into his stash and it's pretty awe inspiring!

The other day I got a little taste of what it's like to be Don when Surfing Guy Scott dropped by my garage. Now that I'm on the homestretch with my van I've got many spare parts too. I was like: "Here, you need one of these, and a couple of these, and this is what that looks like. And when you get to this point you'll need one of these." Etc., etc. Very Happy

I'll take one of each please!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:34 pm

So is the body shop going to be open New Years eve and day????
    VANagain
    VANagain

Post by VANagain Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:03 am

That's a good question! I was able to get some work done there when they were open on Xmas Eve day. I will call and check tomorrow.

So, since they were not able to get the van back to me for my holiday time off, I've decided it's better to have it indoors in their shop at least until we get all windows back in it. It's been pretty rainy here lately. I plan to meet the glass guy there later this week, see about getting my new windshield to fit...

Look at this beauty:

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 15 Img_1110

Oh, and Joe, thanks for the reminder of me running out of gas last time Don accompanied my van's escape from a body shop! The other day I siphoned out the year-old gas from my tank (it was nearly empty anyway!) and poured in some fresh.
    Space Truckin
    Space Truckin

Post by Space Truckin Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:47 am

What a BEAUTY!!! Very Happy
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:56 am

I'll second that emotion! It's starting to look like a VanAgain! Somebody stop me! Rich, if you can't work on yours tomorrow, I'm sure Scott wouldn't mind some help with his floor. Hee, Hee, Hee!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    64chevy
    64chevy

Number of posts : 364
    Registration date : 2008-05-18

Post by 64chevy Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:23 pm

Rich, Did you bring this thing home yet? I'm going to be in San Diego Saturday and thought I'd get a look at it. Maybe even a ride? This was the scene in Portland 5 years ago.

[url]Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 15 P1010010[/url]
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:33 pm

,,,,the scene really right now is a 64Chevy Guy, sitting across from me in the Arizona Desert, in McDonalds,,,typing that sarcastic remark........
    VANagain
    VANagain

Post by VANagain Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:48 am

I'd like to see you Joe, when you're in town. You were there at the very start when I bought this van! But NO, it's still in body shop jail! That's alright, it's going to rain through this weekend. I should drop in and see it during visiting hours though...

There is still plenty for me to do. I tackled the popout window frames. Even though mine were the best I'd ever seen, they were still rusty. The hinges were frozen so I found a way to soak just that end of the window in a mixture of tranny fluid and acetone.

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 15 Window10

Then I carefully worked them back and forth until they moved again.

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 15 Window11

I LOVE the sandblaster! I taped off the glass and most of the rubber. I left some of the rubber showing so I'd be sure I didn't cover up any of the metal frame. Fortunately the sandblasting doesn't affect the rubber.

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 15 Popout10

I have two additional popouts that I'm going to put in the rear doors. They had metal rusted away on the lower parts of the frames so I disassembled them. In the end I brought them all to a different body shop where they welded new metal in where needed. Right now they're painting them with epoxy "trim" black paint. Said that paint will really seal them. They warned me that the oil I'd soaked the hinges in would make it hard for the paint to stick there so they gave them a real cleaning.

They are also rebuilding my wing window assemblies. They found the proper replacement for the division posts. That was the only part I couldn't find on my own. I'm going to find out what they used and post it here when I pick them up. Stay tuned.
    Space Truckin
    Space Truckin

Post by Space Truckin Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:07 am

bounce You getting ever so close, I can almost smell the finish line 90 miles north of you.
    Chevboner
    Chevboner

Number of posts : 209
    Registration date : 2012-09-15

Post by Chevboner Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:03 pm

Whats the progress with your van Rich? I just read the whole story, looks awesome.
    64chevy
    64chevy

Post by 64chevy Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:13 am

So what's the story Rich. Does the body shop still have your van hostage? EconoWest is coming up this weekend.
    VANagain
    VANagain

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 15 Empty Still No Van!

Post by VANagain Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:46 pm

NO, I still don't have my van! It's getting ridiculous. I have outlasted two salesmen/scheduling guys there, a couple of bodymen, even the girl at the front desk has left in the year they've had my van! They have a new girl up front and her orders seem to be to keep the customers away from the owner and bodymen, on the phone or when I drop in. (Or at least to keep me away from them.)

About the only thing I can do is to keep calling them or dropping in. I should call them at least once a week but I haven't been lately. I did get in to see the owner in March and said summer is coming, I don't want this going into May and June!

I wanted to go in the back and start the engine again. I knew they'd have to charge the battery (again) so I called and she said they would start it up. They do that all the time, supposedly. So I couldn't go in and nag them that time.

I printed out a clear, concise list of the 5 things they have left to do. I put a big checkbox by each one. I brought it in and gave it to the new girl (she wouldn't let me see the owner but she brought the list back so he could look it over. He said, no problem.). So, since I could only talk to her, and she was new, I went over how long my van's been there, that there's about a week's worth of work yet to be done, and they were shooting to get it to me by Christmas! Maybe she can be as assertive with the owner as she has been with me.

Here's the list (mostly little stuff):

• Steering wheel - smooth out repairs, paint two-tone, reinstall.
    • Better coverage of paint on bottom edges of van. (Primer still showing here and there.)
    • Smooth out runs on dash.
    • Inner cargo doors - White “break” on inner door edge should go all the way to the rubber.
    • Clear pealed off below drip rail on rear passenger side and driver's door. Clear over two-tone edge, down to trim line. "Move" the break down a bit on rear passenger side?

Here is an example of where some of the clear came off when they removed the tape for the two-tone. The one picky thing I asked for is to paint the turquoise slightly further down on this edge, since they have to redo the clear there anyway.
    Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 15 Img_1010
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:04 pm

,,,,I think all those people made enough to retire off that van,,,,,
    sandyvan
    sandyvan

Number of posts : 526
    Registration date : 2011-03-13

Post by sandyvan Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:10 pm

donivan65 wrote:,,,,I think all those people made enough to retire off that van,,,,,

Sounds like they DID retire!

I found a rattle can of X-O Rust (True-Value) that is 99.5% correct for my van, that is my plan for paint....
    Jay 13
    Jay 13

Number of posts : 155
    Registration date : 2011-02-01

Post by Jay 13 Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:10 pm

wow,my van has been at the body shop for 3 weeks and I am already getting impatient.The shop owner said 6 weeks but after what you are going through I am getting worried.
    VANagain
    VANagain

Post by VANagain Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:56 pm

Good one, Don!

Hey, if you've got a spare steering wheel, get it ready. We may have to do another jailbreak!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:26 pm

,,,,,,,not again????
    64chevy
    64chevy

Post by 64chevy Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:47 am

Good luck getting through the new guard dog up front. Sounds like she runs a tighter ship then the buxom tattooed girl that was there before.

Oh...And Don...Don't forget the spare gas can

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:56 pm