VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Suspension Dilemma

southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

Suspension Dilemma Empty Suspension Dilemma

Post by southern man Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:42 pm

My '64 Econoline was lowered by the previous owner. Drop axle up front, and he removed one or two leaves from the back. New Monroes all around. Stance is really nice and it just fits in my garage (by about 1/2" on top).

Problem is it is a real handful to drive. Leans really badly in the corners. "Handling" is being generous. Not safe or much fun. I have been under the impression that installing an airbag suspension would be the answer to these issues, and perhaps it is. However I've just started checking them out online and I'm a little disappointed. I've e-mailed three different companies - one has yet to answer after a week, one just wrote back that "they have no data on my vehicle - sorry" (Huh???!!!!). The third doesn't sell (apparently) air bag springs but rather an airshock (not like the ones of old) but not only am I not convinced that this would solve my problems but I think there might be clearance problems as there is only an inch or so from the shock body to the side of the wheel well (at least on the front) and theirs look like they are too big in diameter.

I haven't given up on this idea, but I have started to rethink things. After much thought I just decided to put Koni adjustables on my '91 Miata, but I did consider a coil over set up at one point. So, I'm now thinking that perhaps coilovers might be a possible solution for the Ford?

The geometry for the front seems well suited for coil overs, since they are straight up and down. The backs I'm less sure of. I know I'll need to add a front sway bar when all is said an done, regardless of which way I go.

So, anybody have any suggestions? I am definitely a novice regarding suspension set ups - at least custom creations. As you can probably tell, I know enough to be dangerous. But I can't move this project forward unless I can get this issue resolved.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Suspension Dilemma Empty Re: Suspension Dilemma

Post by donivan65 Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:20 pm

I think you ought to get the alignment checked. That lowering could of messed up the camber, caster and toe, and that van will never handle correctly. Find a place that would know what the correct specs should be and be able to measure your van. At least see if the front end is within specs before chasing after all that other stuff.
    southern man
    southern man

Post by southern man Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:48 am

You make a good point. Sometimes the most obvious things are what we look past. Certainly worth a few bucks to try. Thanks.

Post by Guest Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:06 pm

I have these coil over shocks on my 65 Econo. They are great shocks.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

Suspension Dilemma 2960709_122
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:23 pm

Part of the problem could also be in the tires and/or wheels as well. If they are much different than factory, then the factory specs my not do much good. My van was easier to drive and rode better after I put a new set of radials on it.

Does the steering assembly or steering box have any slop? Check the king pin$.

A steering stabilizer may be a band aid fix, but may make parking more difficult.
    southern man
    southern man

Post by southern man Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:27 am

Wheels are brand new (from prior owner) and 15". Tires are brand new radials (size not known at this moment - I'm not at home). Drop axle on the front end was totally rebuilt by some guy who builds suspensions for NASCAR, so I'm pretty sure everything is new.

Steering box has a little slop in it, but not bad. That wouldn't cause it though to lean badly on even the most easy corners.

Like I said, the shocks are new Monroes, but I think there's just not enough spring control. The coil overs Mike is using just might be the ticket.

Mike, do you think there will be any fitment issues with my dropped axle? can they be adjusted for height and/or ride firmness? $300 isn't too bad to see if this would really help my problem.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 11:38 am