VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

What a Dilemma!!

What a Dilemma!! Empty What a Dilemma!!

Post by Guest Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:25 pm

As most of you know I got Ester to put he Harley in and tow behind the motorhome. Well the new bike wont fit throught the back doors!!! Its to tall, even with the windshield removed. The Road King fit without issue, but the Electra Glode with the batwing fairing is just to tall to go in.

So now what the hell do I do? I found a 5 window Econoline P/U sitting in a backyard the other day. Havent contacted the owner to see if I can strike a deal for it yet. Or I guess I can start that GMC Handi-Pickup project that I wanted to do.

What a Dilemma!! Chevy_10-2
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

What a Dilemma!! Empty Re: What a Dilemma!!

Post by donivan65 Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:58 pm

I would say the door openings are 48" tall,,,,,,how much are you lacking? How about if you use a rachet strap and draw down on the forks, will that let the bike in?
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:50 am

Do like on the early Dodge Explorer vans and lower the center floor between the frame rails. My 2nd choice would be to make the early Chevy pickup. Its more work but sure would be cool. I ve got some early Ford p/u side rails that would probably work out on that modification.

Post by Guest Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:56 am

donivan65 wrote:I would say the door openings are 48" tall,,,,,,how much are you lacking? How about if you use a rachet strap and draw down on the forks, will that let the bike in?

Your right on the size Donivan the rear door openings are a tick over 48", but to the top of the fairing is almost 54". The only way its goin in would be to clamshell the back roof section for access. I may leave Ester alone and start cutting up the chevy parts van that I still have to make the P/U. I have to remove the rest of the interior to see what kinda shape the floors are in. Remember that the roof was TOTALLY rotted out, so the lower half may be bad too. I've just been stripping it and really havent payed attention to its condition for a possible re-incarnation.

Post by Guest Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:03 am

EconoUSAparts wrote:Do like on the early Dodge Explorer vans and lower the center floor between the frame rails. My 2nd choice would be to make the early Chevy pickup. Its more work but sure would be cool. I ve got some early Ford p/u side rails that would probably work out on that modification.

Ever since the "photo-chops" that we kicked around for the parts van awhile back, the Handi-Pup has been stuck in my head. I even went to my local j/y and checked the availability and cost on a 60's Chevy P/U roof/rear cab section to get the look of a factory proto-type.

I will go by the house with the E-P/U this week and see if I can get a feel if there willing to part with it. I've talked with some folks in the area and it used to be driven all the time and used as a P/U hauling wood and the such. It looks pretty straight from what I can see, but I havent seen it up-close yet.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:28 am

What a Dilemma!! El_caj10
    BvrWally
    BvrWally

Number of posts : 946
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by BvrWally Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:01 am

Well there you go...problem solved!!! lol
    B.W. Smile

Post by Guest Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:35 pm

I think thats a bit to heavy for the moho!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 5:34 am