VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
sasktrini
throttlejunkie
6 posters

i let my 17 year old son take my van out....

throttlejunkie
    throttlejunkie

Number of posts : 17
    Registration date : 2009-02-17

i let my 17 year old son take my van out.... Empty i let my 17 year old son take my van out....

Post by throttlejunkie Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:43 am

and he got in a tight parking lot and had a little accident, so now i need the drivers side wind sheild replaced. Do they make a replacement rubber or can the one side be replaced without removing the whole thing? Also need one head light ring. I preached over and over that he had to be very careful and always pay attention because these things are a handful to drive, at least no one got hurt and it can be fixed
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

i let my 17 year old son take my van out.... Empty Re: i let my 17 year old son take my van out....

Post by sasktrini Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:57 am

Sorry about your luck.

I don't think it should be too hard to get the headlamp trim. Glass should be easy to get new stuff cut because it's flat... I haven't ordered rubber, so I can't say... try making some local calls about the glass, and they may be able to advise about the rubber too...
    oo3

Number of posts : 290
    Registration date : 2008-06-01

i let my 17 year old son take my van out.... Empty Re: i let my 17 year old son take my van out....

Post by oo3 Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:29 pm

all the windshield seals i have seen are one piece - i would imagine for the experienced installer its not much more work to take both out even to just replace one side - and that way you could get a good inspect of condition of metal etc in that area - oo3
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:30 pm

All you have to do is remove the center 1/4" rubber strip that locks the glass to the rubber out side. Should pop out easy, depending on how flexable your rubber is . If its original its probially time for new rubber gaskets.
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:46 pm

George from the Yahoo Group has the rubber (and a cool chrome locking strip as well)
    ustow@ptd.net

I think I've also seen the gasket on Ebay from time to time.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8759
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:03 pm

You can have new glass cut at a car windshild shop . yes it is flat . the rubber seal can be bought at e-bay for about $ 100.00
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:39 pm

Get one from George! Ive baught two windshield rubbers from him and on both ocasions the glass guy loved the rubber. From what Im told the after market world can be a pain in the @ss!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 16, 2024 1:41 pm