VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Sliding U-Joints, Anybody?

veefre
    veefre

Number of posts : 424
    Registration date : 2008-09-10

Sliding U-Joints, Anybody? Empty Sliding U-Joints, Anybody?

Post by veefre Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:53 am

OK, I thought I'd seen a post on here about some difficulty someone was having pulling their driveshaft and getting it all back together. I had this idea that the U-joints were this old-fashioned type with sliding bearings inside a cast iron housing. It actually works quite well, for what it is. Does both U joint and forward/backward movement.

However... I went searching for my '67 Chevy service manual. Haven't worked on it for a few years, took me an hour to locate it in the workshop. When I finally found it, lo and behold, it has the standard X shaped U-joints. WTF? Then I saw the service manual for my '50 Plymouth Special Deluxe with a 218 inline six flathead. Oh yeah, THAT'S the one with the sliding U-joints! LOL. I remember those gave me a ton of trouble about 25 years ago when I was replacing them.

Anywho, the G-van (108) is running just fine. I think. Been a few months since I started it up and drove it anywhere. I'm retired now and will probably be taking it into the hills above Berkeley to watch the sunset now that the rains have stopped for a bit. Wish me luck...

PS-So happy the G-Van doesn't have those dad blasted sliding driveshaft U-joints!

savage likes this post

AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 742
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Sliding U-Joints, Anybody? Empty Re: Sliding U-Joints, Anybody?

Post by AzDon Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:26 pm

Not exactly sure of what you mean by "sliding u-joints" (?)

All "open" driveshafts need some kind of slider because the distance between the trans and differential changes as the suspension moves.....
    The most common setup is a splined slip yoke slid into the back of the trans where 3/4 inch of inward travel is reserved for said distance change.....
    Many trucks with t-400 transmissions have a slip yoke slid all the way in with a bolt holding it....These will usually have a two piece driveshaft where the front shaft doesn't really move in and out as it's in a rubber-mounted carrier bearing in a fixed location and the splined end of that shaft has the female slider of the rear shaft riding in and out on it....
    Vehicles with this front yoke setup that are switched to a single driveshaft need a splined slider in the driveshaft itself....

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:21 pm