VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Rebuilt Chevy 250 cid

wishbone
    wishbone

Number of posts : 18
    Registration date : 2022-04-18

Rebuilt Chevy 250 cid Empty Rebuilt Chevy 250 cid

Post by wishbone Thu May 12, 2022 3:09 pm

Hello...

I received the news from a local machinist that the 250 I wanted to rebuilt was previously bored .060 and the crank was ground as well. It's pretty worn out. He tells me he can go ahead with the process, but he can't guarantee it won't "smoke a little and use some oil" from blow by past the new rings.

In researching options, I found this site:
    https://www.powertrainproducts.net/CHEVY-250-75-79-COMP-ENGINE-p/845.htm

$2,000 for a rebuilt 250 with a warranty and shipping (from MD to TX) included sounds pretty good. It was about the same as what the machinist was to charge.

Is anyone familiar with these guys? I've never purchased a rebuilt motor online. What are some questions I should ask?

Can anyone please offer advice or your opinion? Is there anything special I should watch out for?

Thanks,
    wishbone
    chrlsful
    chrlsful

Number of posts : 194
    Registration date : 2014-04-22

Rebuilt Chevy 250 cid Empty Re: Rebuilt Chevy 250 cid

Post by chrlsful Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:39 am

o0OP, ol thread/
    Well, any way:
    how long are each guarentees?
    Will the power train product include
    shipping? deliver to a non commercial/lack
    of dock? what is included w/the block (short blk, long blk, etc)?

Do you do assembly? duz the machinest?
    Basically getting detail so U actually compare apples to apples...
    Otherwise - toss out some $ and get what U get?
    AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 748
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Post by AzDon Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:51 am

Put an LS or Trailblazer engine in it!.....
    Just kidding!
    Somebody will be taking a perfectly useable six out of one of these vans soon and be selling it for damn near nothing!
    If you are really bent on rebuilding a six, maybe find a better builder locally that can guarantee you better results or take your current rebuilder a different junkyard engine....
    I'd only buy a crate engine from a well known place like Blueprint that sells through Speedway, Jegs, or Summitt...
    chrlsful
    chrlsful

Post by chrlsful Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:52 am

last post - May, shucks. Lub his 1st gen van.
    Wonder if there is support for the 292?
    I think last used '90 in cheb p/u.
    The Blue Flame is my fav 'Vette
    motor as to the 3 YHs and
    i6.
    wishbone
    wishbone

Number of posts : 18
    Registration date : 2022-04-18

Post by wishbone Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:17 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I wound up calling Summit Racing. The guy on the phone spoke English like a traditional American so we talked about it for a long time. He convinced me to go with their provider, VEGE in Mexico. My first thought was, "MEXICO". He said they wouldn't use them if they had problems.

For about $2500 I got a 250 long block, wrapped up real nice with grease paper and plastic. Has a new oil pump and gasket kit. They didn't just deliver to the front gate, but all they way to my shop door. The numbers indicate replacement for a Marathon cab, among Chevy, Olds and some others. I guess it's the most basic replacement made.

I don't recall about the warranty. I don't expect to ship it back if there are problems. It's just not worth it. It turns by hand and that's all I know. There's evidence of assembly lube and oil.

My old engine had new: alternator, starter, fuel pump, rebuilt carb. I'll use the alternator and starter, but buy new other stuff... harmonic balancer, water pump, distributor, carb, clutch. Old oil pan, covers, intake / exhaust manifolds and flywheel look good. Had the flywheel reground.

I'm currently rebuilding the 3-speed Saginaw and ran into a problem maybe ya'll know something about.

After placing the first few components on one side of the main shaft, I notice the reverse gear is a bit loose. The other 2 ring gears and syncro/sliders behind it fit tight. I remember inspecting the main shaft and there was a very tiny undulation in the shaft where the reverse gear sits. I didn't think it was enough to cause what I'm looking at now. Maybe the reverse gear is worn too.

I can't find a new main shaft anywhere and don't want to trust a junkyard component. The reverse gear reads "not in stock" everywhere I checked.

I wonder... since the reverse gear will be meshing with a gear on the cluster shaft at all times... will a little play matter all that much? The only stress it will experience is while in reverse... which will be very little.

Anyone have experience with this?????

Thanks,
    wishbone.

chrlsful
    chrlsful

Post by chrlsful Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:25 pm

Not I.
    Hada "108" (2nd gen, 1st yr) I'm not sure if I had the 230 or this as i wuz 17 y/o and blew a CR on Mass Pike (different laws than back rds). Lost it quick to tower's storage fee so never got to know my rig. 55? yrs ago. Am into the 6 ThriftPowers now (last 40 yrs). I'm not a FBer (I like sites like this 1 but here:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/963788657110395/

I no & like these guys better but it's other straight 6s included:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/308269986376090/

may B hook up with Y/M/M 'club' (on-line) that have this motor in them:
    https://www.junkyardmob.com/guides/chevrolet-250-inline-six-engine

I have the 4.1 in my ford but, again, its a ThriftPower. I suggest the 292. I should have gone 300 / 4.9 in my rig (our bigger i6) as I'm an off roader (hi tg, low rev - HP? who cares)~
    chrlsful
    chrlsful

Post by chrlsful Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:04 am

bump, bump?
    any my links wrk 4 U?
    Get any further?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content