VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
savage
3D Kustoms
6 posters

Opinion on customizing or restoring?

3D Kustoms
    3D Kustoms

Number of posts : 5
    Registration date : 2015-08-02

Opinion on customizing or restoring? Empty Opinion on customizing or restoring?

Post by 3D Kustoms Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:22 am

Should I restore to original or customize a 65 no door, want opinions.
    Thanks
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2625
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Opinion on customizing or restoring? Empty Re: Opinion on customizing or restoring?

Post by savage Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:38 pm

2of mine. None are stock. I built them the way I wanted them. 65 with mid mounted 454, & PG. My 64 Nodoor I had since 1977. Opinion on customizing or restoring? 00613[/url]
    Opinion on customizing or restoring? 00413
    Opinion on customizing or restoring? Img_0217
    Keith D
    Keith D

Number of posts : 405
    Registration date : 2016-11-25

Opinion on customizing or restoring? Empty Re: Opinion on customizing or restoring?

Post by Keith D Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:52 pm

I like custom. You can make it what your vision is, not how the factory pumped it out, not what the original owner wanted.

With a restored van it's the same as all the other restored vans. I like vehicles that are unique not like all the same. I hate going to a car show and seeing a bunch of Mustangs, Camaros, corvettes all looking the same. That is one of the reasons that I got a first gen van (something different). I like how it was back in the 70's when everyone was customising them.

I understand not customizing a rare or unique vehicle (you don't want chop the top of a Duesenberg) but I don't think vans fall into this category.

Plus you can make it so it performs better and address issues the were a problem with 60's technology. Think poor braking and overheating.

My two cents...

savage likes this post

3D Kustoms
    3D Kustoms

Number of posts : 5
    Registration date : 2015-08-02

Post by 3D Kustoms Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:27 pm

Thanks for your opinion, I was in the van scene in the 70-80s and planned on making it what we ran in the days. Mid engine, small block, whip etc...but was kinda curious how much crap to expect. I have the means now to do what we wanted to do back then so again Thanks for the input.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8726
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:30 am

do what will make you smile, don't y worry about what you will face

Opinion on customizing or restoring? 45th_n10

savage and jrdunn96 like this post

jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

Post by jrinaman Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:48 am

customize, make it your own!!  personally, i like restoring to what it 'could of been' in the '70's. a hippy van. mild to wild, old school or modern, cool as hell or just weird, do what YOU like! vanning is one of the few car cultures that embraces customizing and definitely the vehicle most suited for that. if numbers matching and "correct" is your thing, go for it but dont be a slave to what someone else likes, only one that has to like it is you!

Last edited by jrinaman on Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:50 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

savage, dix, Russell and jrdunn96 like this post

AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 741
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Post by AzDon Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:45 am

Commercial vans were minimalist, incomplete vehicles from the factory. If you are going to own one as personal transportation, you MUST customize it!
    While I don't think there is a lot of improvement available to the body, if you got vision and talent, GO FOR IT!
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8726
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:14 pm

custom
    DID ANYONE EVER GO TO THE SEMA SHOW TO SEE SOMETHING STOCK ???

jrinaman likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:10 am