BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

Hinge pin and bushing kits for front doors

smittyG10
smittyG10

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2018-10-25

Hinge pin and bushing kits for front doors Empty Hinge pin and bushing kits for front doors

Post by smittyG10 on Sat May 16, 2020 9:59 pm

Trying to find somewhere for the hinge pin bushing kits for the front door.
The existing pin is .230 closet fraction is 15/64"
The bushings are 5/16" OD.

17/64" hinge pins are as close as I've found.
donivan65
donivan65
Governor
Governor

Number of posts : 11851
Registration date : 2008-05-12

Hinge pin and bushing kits for front doors Empty Re: Hinge pin and bushing kits for front doors

Post by donivan65 on Sat May 16, 2020 10:38 pm

gfleduc
gfleduc

Number of posts : 243
Registration date : 2015-09-19

Hinge pin and bushing kits for front doors Empty Re: Hinge pin and bushing kits for front doors

Post by gfleduc on Sun May 17, 2020 3:49 am

Also Dorman 38404

Heads up / reminder mark with end the head goes on otherwise you will convert the hinge for the opposite door...
Fcat
Fcat

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2019-02-11

Post by Fcat on Fri May 22, 2020 3:52 am

Not hijacking thread, but...

I did this a few months back, also had to reinforce the door where it had been flexing under stress from worn hinges. Only issue is door adjustment - or lack of. Even with my 'new' hinges having almost zero play, the doors are still dropped so they don't close well.

With the lack of any obvious fix for this, I was thinking of 're-educating' the doors with a jack under rear edge - can anyone think of something less brutal to try first?
smittyG10
smittyG10

Post by smittyG10 on Fri May 22, 2020 8:50 am

That's probably what I'll end up doing as well , seems like I have quite a bit of movement to adjust hinges however, we'll see.
jrinaman
jrinaman

Number of posts : 851
Registration date : 2011-03-10

Post by jrinaman on Sat May 23, 2020 11:45 am

Fcat wrote:Not hijacking thread, but...

I did this a few months back, also had to reinforce the door where it had been flexing under stress from worn hinges. Only issue is door adjustment - or lack of. Even with my 'new' hinges having almost zero play, the doors are still dropped so they don't close well.

With the lack of any obvious fix for this, I was thinking of 're-educating' the doors with a jack under rear edge - can anyone think of something less brutal to try first?
another option is to jack the top mounting point on the pillars. not just pushing it back but "twisting" it. with doors off, hinges on, you can push on the outermost part (hinge pin) and easily gain more clearance than you ever could jacking the door. downside is this is very time consuming! 1/32" too far and door back off, pull hinge back, door back on and check again.
smittyG10
smittyG10

Post by smittyG10 on Sat May 23, 2020 7:10 pm

Ok great thanks for the heads up
Fcat
Fcat

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2019-02-11

Post by Fcat Yesterday at 3:59 am

I think this is exactly what I need to do - thanks!

When I'm finished with that, I've got to try to jig the rear opening of my van to square again so the rear doors sit properly but this may fall outside a DIY fix.
smittyG10
smittyG10

Post by smittyG10 Yesterday at 9:30 am

Haven't even looked at that yet.
VANagain
VANagain

Number of posts : 999
Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by VANagain Today at 1:47 pm

There's also the bodyshop technique of (slowly) slamming the door with a 2x4 wedged into the proper place between the door and door frame to realign things. But here's something to check for before you resort to these measures: Look for cracks in the door metal where the hinge bolts to it. The thin metal gets stress cracks over the years and they might get worse from the strain of jacking the door around. Sometimes you can strengthen it by adding a large washer under the bolt but it could require some welding to regain the structure of the door.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 25, 2020 7:42 pm