VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Rusted Door Hinge/Bushing

BlueSteel
    BlueSteel

Number of posts : 111
    Registration date : 2013-05-15

Rusted Door Hinge/Bushing Empty Rusted Door Hinge/Bushing

Post by BlueSteel Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:59 pm

I was gone for two weeks and my wife starts tearing my falcon up. JK Smile i'm stoked that she drives it Smile

Rusted Door Hinge/Bushing 07141411

Anywho, the door has been 'shifty'? so I knew that it was rusting out.... finally it rusted through & broke.

Is what I'm looking for on this page?

Do i just get a metal punch & knock out the rusting pins (i've also heard of people drilling them out?) Any suggestions?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Rusted Door Hinge/Bushing Empty Re: Rusted Door Hinge/Bushing

Post by donivan65 Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:16 pm

This is how Chevy does it,,,,,the pin is pressed in the outer sections of the hinge,,,,the inner section is drilled bigger and bushings are pressed into both ends so the pin is free to move in that center section,,,,,now see if someone just drilled out your pin awhile ago and just stuck  a bolt in there,,,but seeing that it is broken,,,that center piece must be stuck in there pretty good,,,,might need a torch to motivate it to move out of there,,,,check the other hinges and see if they look like the broken one,,,,,,,

Rusted Door Hinge/Bushing Hinge_10
    'fish
    'fish

Number of posts : 222
    Registration date : 2011-12-27

Post by 'fish Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:58 pm

On my 61 Ford I just used a punch and drove the pin out of the hinge a little penetrating oil and an over night soak would probably make yours much easier.
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:34 pm

As rusted as that is, I doubt it will go easy. If you end up drilling it, center as best as you possibly can, start small, go slow, use oil and sharp bits.
    BlueSteel
    BlueSteel

Post by BlueSteel Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:08 pm

I don't have a vice Sad A drill I do have & A hammer I do have.... Should I try to punch out the bottom hinge as well, as the top on rusted through/out & broke, but the door is still attached on the bottom one..... and which one of the pins should I use from the Mac Auto's page...?

Thanks guys!
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Post by Magic Bus Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:50 pm

You dont really know if the standard pin will  cure it until you get the old one out, you really need to measure the hole...

Worst case scenerio you buy the standard and the oversize and use which one fits.

This one, the oversize one is 11/32" which comes out to appx .344

http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_econoline/door-hinge-pin-oversize-stainless-steel-fits-front-side-and-back-door.html?crosssell=Homepage_Featured_Category_Door

I cant get to my spare new one tonight, I can check for you tomorrow to see what the OD is on the standard pin..

This is the link to the standard one you need
    http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_econoline/door-hinge-pin-stainless-steel-fits-front-side-and-back-door.html?crosssell=Homepage_Featured_Category_Door

If my memory serves me correctily the standard pin is .274 and mine was wallowed out to .294 so I drilled out to the 11/32 oversize one.

You may not need a vise, might be handy, but you'll likely need a solid surface to hit on. An anvil would be great, a good punch and a 1/2" id steel pipe to rest the hinge on while you drive the old pin out, Mine were terrible, but a few licks with a BFH drove them out.

BTW you will need to remove the door and the mounted part of the hinge, most likely you would risk bending the hinge, or the door jamb if its too stubborn. Good luck
    BlueSteel
    BlueSteel

Post by BlueSteel Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:15 am

I'll go a head and order duplicates of both (to offset cost I'll just brew my own coffee this morning rather than getting starbucks hahaha).

From what I'm picking up from ya'll is that I need to knock out the bottom pin as well, as the top one has rusted through.  Guess it would make sense to replace both of them yeah?  I'll do the passenger's door first (as thats the most immediate problem and I'll do driver's door after).

Any good suggestions for some penetrating lube, or should I buy a blow torch?
    'fish
    'fish

Number of posts : 222
    Registration date : 2011-12-27

Post by 'fish Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:59 am

I don't remember any particular brand, its more how you use it just give it time to work, put some on each night for a couple of nights then knock it out. Make sure if possible you can use gravity to flow the oil into the part your trying to free up.
    A torch probably wouldn't help much here, if you heat up the outside of the hinge it will just expand and tighten up on the pin.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 9:35 am