VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Gas smell after shut down.

Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Number of posts : 326
    Registration date : 2015-05-08

Gas smell after shut down. Empty Gas smell after shut down.

Post by Skulptorchaz Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:52 pm

Hey guys,
    Does anyone else smell gas after they shut the engine off? I'm wondering if it might be because I run an electric fuel pump.
    A motor head friend of mine says it's because of the alcohol in the fuel. It makes it evaporate faster and also the reason if we leave a carburated engine sit for awhile, it seems we have to crank it for awhile before it starts. Sounds reasonable but. I'm no authority.
    I think I will have one of my radiator fans stay on longer, via a thermostat, to take any smell out and some excess heat.
    Just curious.
    Thanks guys.
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Gas smell after shut down. Empty Re: Gas smell after shut down.

Post by vanny Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:09 pm

Chaz, this is a very common problem with heat buildup inside the doghouse. Below is a thread discussing the issue, some things to check and a way to get things cooler under there like what you mentioned with the thermostat fan. Hope this helps.

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t17040-gasoline-smell?highlight=smell

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    jrdunn96
    jrdunn96

Number of posts : 690
    Registration date : 2016-01-01

Post by jrdunn96 Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:41 pm

Vanny is once again right on the money. You should also bear in mind that a carbureted engine there is some gasoline smell since the fuel isn't 100% contained as in a fuel injection system. Most carbureted engines also run a little to a lot rich. However, you don't want too much as the fumes are what ignite when it burns. (I also assume that it isn't good for you.) JM2C.
    Jim
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

Post by jrinaman Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:13 pm

as stated, it is carbureted so there will be 'some' fumes that we no longer expect since modern vehicles have enclosed system fuel injection and more efficient. couple that with most older vehicles have the engine outside of the cab where less noticeable. like putting your lawn mower in the shed right after shutting it off but a much bigger motor.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 3:49 am