VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Strong gas smell in cab

Jazontyler
    Jazontyler

Number of posts : 56
    Registration date : 2011-12-29

Strong gas smell in cab Empty Strong gas smell in cab

Post by Jazontyler Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:46 pm

I have a strong gas smell in cab that I only notice when I hop in it after it has been sitting for a while. I don't have any obvious leak, the truck runs well, i.e. not overly rich. Anybody have similar issue? do the fuel pumps on these Econos have weep holes that emit fumes when the diaphragm is failing?
    scarlin
    scarlin

Number of posts : 258
    Registration date : 2012-01-25

Strong gas smell in cab Empty Re: Strong gas smell in cab

Post by scarlin Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:19 pm

Been talked about for years on the E's. If you have no leaks the carb is not sealed. The bigger the motor the more heat into the carb and boils the fuel. Some fixes are electric fans. Insulation in the dog house can make it worse
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

Post by Lazarusvan Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:25 pm

Jason, I just replaced my carb and still have a fairly strong gas smell inside after it sits a bit. Our weather is not hot now, so it isn't getting super hot like in the summer. I haven't had time to check to see if anything is still dumping out. I'd like to know myself if this is normal since I shouldn't have any clogged up areas in my carb.

I was having a problem with carb spillage previously and could see gas spilling out when it got hot. I am not the expert on these matters, but this is what I've experienced on my G Van.

Not sure about the insulation part previoulsy mentioned, but I do have insulation around my dog house and lid.

Twin Pilot is your man on this..
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Number of posts : 648
    Registration date : 2011-06-27

Post by Rayallen Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:14 pm

I have the same issue even after a carb rebuild. After really good inspection ive found that our dog house really is not 100% sealed. There are small holes here and there and the seal it self leaks a bit. We are going to smell anything from coolant to fuel if anything is leaking or has fumes. When I get around to prepping my floor for a new rust preventer coating I plan on taking out the dog house to have it powder coated. Before that I'm going to weld ever small pin hole not needed closed and i am applying a new seal top and bottom. That should help consideralbly. It doesn't bother me to much but I really do not want my wife and friends having to breath gas fumes.

Post by Guest Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:05 pm

You can try to insulate the carb and fuel lines, but really the heat builds up in the doghouse and boils fuel in the carb float.

Its worse up here at 6500 ft above sea level. I've just gotten used to it.

You can hook up a fan to vent the doghouse and turn off automatically after a minute or so if it really bothers you.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 5:31 pm