VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Leaf springs and bushings

bushing - Leaf springs and bushings Empty Leaf springs and bushings

Post by Guest Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:18 pm

Having a new set of leaf springs built for the front of my ‘66 . The left uses the 1 1/8 bushing while the right has the 1 5/8. When I have them made do I need to have that right side made to accomodate the 1 5/8 bushing or can I go with 1 1/8 for both. If I do have to have  the 1 5/8 on the right what bushing from Energy Suspension would I use ? I read where Donivan recommends the 4.2126 R bushing for the 1 1/8  leaf. Would it be better to go 1 1/8  both sides and just use the 4.2126  bushings? I’ll need to know when I have the leafs made . Any help on this is appreciated. Thanks
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

bushing - Leaf springs and bushings Empty Re: Leaf springs and bushings

Post by donivan65 Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:27 pm

Chevboner here is having a spring shop install these 1 1/8" metal cartridges  on his 1st Gen springs instead of the neoprene ones,,,,,,,I would have to think they put that bigger bushing in the right front because the engine weight is more to that side and it would sag a little over time as well as all the engine torque goes through that bushing,,,,,,,that 1 5/8" neoprene bushing says 2061 on it, they might call it a 2011,,,,

bushing - Leaf springs and bushings Front_10

bushing - Leaf springs and bushings Dscn0310

Post by Guest Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:47 pm

Thanks Donivan for the info on the bushings . Am going to have the 1 5/8  spring  made for the right side as you recommend and try to find that  poly bushing to put in that eyelet. Regards , Brad
    sandyvan
    sandyvan

Number of posts : 526
    Registration date : 2011-03-13

Post by sandyvan Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:28 pm

Just curious why you're having new springs made. I need to replace all the bushings on my 66 at some point, but figure the springs themselves are OK.

Post by Guest Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:39 pm

After looking at my rear springs ,  i decided to go with new  rear springs after my spring shop took them apart  to take a  closer look at em and  recommended new ones, those springs being over 50 yrs old , I just decided on putting new ones in  instead of re arching and rebuilding .If the fronts were like the rears ,  (which I’m assuming ,)they will be replaced.

Post by Guest Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:07 pm

Another question, new front leafs that I had made look as if one leaf is shorter than the other. I believe they are supposed to be 48” eye to eye. The new springs were copied from the old springs. I did measure eye to eye along the arc of the springs and the messurement was at 48 inches both springs. Am I not seeing something?
    , or were they made wrong? Am headed back down to the spring shop that made them to look at the old ones.  Any help would be appreciated  thanks , bushing - Leaf springs and bushings 63d34f10

Post by Guest Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:03 pm

Bonehead me!! Put them both together on their tops and they are even at 48” eyelet to eyelet.bushing - Leaf springs and bushings A5f69010
    gfleduc
    gfleduc

Number of posts : 367
    Registration date : 2015-09-19

bushing - Leaf springs and bushings Empty Larger Right front bushing

Post by gfleduc Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:57 pm

donivan65 wrote:Chevboner here is having a spring shop install these 1 1/8" metal cartridges  on his 1st Gen springs instead of the neoprene ones,,,,,,,I would have to think they put that bigger bushing in the right front because the engine weight is more to that side and it would sag a little over time as well as all the engine torque goes through that bushing,,,,,,,that 1 5/8" neoprene bushing says 2061 on it, they might call it a 2011,,,,

bushing - Leaf springs and bushings Front_10

bushing - Leaf springs and bushings Dscn0310

FWIW - The manual said the larger (Heavy Duty) bushing was to take up the engine torque.

savage likes this post

Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:33 am

My springs had broken leafs. Had all four made. You won't regret having that done. It should be after all a one time investment .
    sandyvan
    sandyvan

Number of posts : 526
    Registration date : 2011-03-13

Post by sandyvan Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:30 pm

Digz wrote:My springs had broken leafs. Had all four made. You won't regret having that done. It should be after all a one time investment .

So what's a ballpark of how much four new springs might cost me? I gotta start saving up...
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:33 pm

I'll have to check my build bible to be sure. Its been a few years. Dan had some made also, perhaps he can recall quicker.
    AV65chevy
    AV65chevy

Number of posts : 18
    Registration date : 2013-09-15

Post by AV65chevy Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:07 pm

All great info. TY best site to keep our Vans on the road.

savage likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 6:52 am