VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+12
jrdunn96
Seth G
bugeye bob
Wayoutvan
Dan Scully
lws67
jkr
busman78
benwah
OutofSight
JackeFriend
DueNorth
16 posters

Front Seats- which ones have you got?

DueNorth
    DueNorth

Number of posts : 28
    Registration date : 2016-10-22

Front Seats- which ones have you got? Empty Front Seats- which ones have you got?

Post by DueNorth Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:47 am

Hi Guys,

Looking at changing my front seats- currently have replacement GM ones installed that are too wide (Fouling the door jamb) and seat pad is too high( my head is hitting the roof & my kids feet can't touch the floor!!!) I think they are around 22" wide and sit 9" high at the front

I have the original low back seats-that need recovering-but don't really like the low back look

I am also looking to install 3 point inertia belts-which is nigh on impossible with my current seats

Really struggling to find something suitable-So I'm interested to see and hear what you have in yours to get some ideas

I appreciate the help

Cheers

Mike
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Number of posts : 940
    Registration date : 2016-05-06

Front Seats- which ones have you got? Empty Re: Front Seats- which ones have you got?

Post by JackeFriend Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:39 am

I got a set of Audi seats at the local jun k yard. They are 19" wideFront Seats- which ones have you got? Seats11
    with a 15" base.
    OutofSight
    OutofSight

Number of posts : 1558
    Registration date : 2015-11-19

Front Seats- which ones have you got? Empty Re: Front Seats- which ones have you got?

Post by OutofSight Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:11 am

I have the original seats. Had them reupholstered last summer.
    DueNorth
    DueNorth

Post by DueNorth Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:17 am

JackeFriend wrote:I got a set of Audi seats at the local jun k yard. They are 19" wideFront Seats- which ones have you got? Seats11
    with a 15" base.

Thanks for that - nice looking seats..... & 19" would be perfect- any idea of model/year?

Thanks

Mike
    DueNorth
    DueNorth

Post by DueNorth Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:20 am

OutofSight wrote:I have the original seats. Had them reupholstered last summer.

cheers for that- I have them-so that is still an option-but not keen on the look and at 6' 4" & 260lbs I need a fair bit of back support that low backs generally don't give-lol!
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Number of posts : 940
    Registration date : 2016-05-06

Post by JackeFriend Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:30 am

DueNorth wrote:
    JackeFriend wrote:I got a set of Audi seats at the local jun k yard. They are 19" wideFront Seats- which ones have you got? Seats11
    with a 15" base.

Thanks for that - nice looking seats..... & 19" would be perfect- any idea of model/year?

Thanks

Mike
    I think 2005 is close maybe 2004. They should fit most vans if they fit mine. I had to remove parts of the electronics and a side cover for them to fit. Also cut a dogleg off the inside seat back bracket. I have not installed them yet... but by December they will be in my van! I had much work to complete a doghouse switch & new 4-core radiator etc etc... LOL
    It's a puzzle that never gets fully finished evidently! Good luck on finding seats that fit you and the van. I am only 5' tall so i have no special requirements except I must be able to reach the pedals. My seats are going to be fixed not adjustable.
    DueNorth
    DueNorth

Post by DueNorth Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:15 am

JackeFriend wrote:
    DueNorth wrote:
    with a 15" base.

Thanks

Mike
    I think 2005 is close maybe 2004. They should fit most vans if they fit mine. I had to remove parts of the electronics and a side cover for them to fit. Also cut a dogleg off the inside seat back bracket. I have not installed them yet... but by December they will be in my van! I had much work to complete a doghouse switch & new 4-core radiator etc etc... LOL
    It's a puzzle that never gets fully finished evidently! Good luck on finding seats that fit you and the van. I am only 5' tall so i have no special requirements except I must be able to reach the pedals. My seats are going to be fixed not adjustable.

Thanks for that- I don't mind a bit of fettling to make them fit!

This is my first pre-'70 van -but I've had quite a few late 70's 80's/90's VWs and never managed to finish one yet- as you say there is always another job!
    Mike
    OutofSight
    OutofSight

Number of posts : 1558
    Registration date : 2015-11-19

Post by OutofSight Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:52 pm

Most definitely you need more seat.
    DueNorth
    DueNorth

Post by DueNorth Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:07 pm

OutofSight wrote:Most definitely you need more seat.

yup.....or less food!- but on balance, I think I'll go for the bigger seat!
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:44 am

No picture, but i have some 1995 leather jeep cherokee xj seats in my 66 panel. Fit nice
    busman78
    busman78

Number of posts : 483
    Registration date : 2012-07-11

Post by busman78 Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:43 am

These are Smittybilt, Jeep replacements narrow enough for these vans, adapting the original slider rails is easy, they are available in high back.
    Front Seats- which ones have you got? Img_0610
    Front Seats- which ones have you got? Img_0612
    Front Seats- which ones have you got? Img_0613
    benwah
    benwah

Post by benwah Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:25 am

Hey busman those seats look good.
    busman78
    busman78

Post by busman78 Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:10 am

Thanks!
    DueNorth
    DueNorth

Post by DueNorth Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:12 am

benwah wrote:No picture, but i have some 1995 leather jeep cherokee xj seats in my 66 panel. Fit nice

They are definitely nice seats-I had a look at those & I thought they may be a touch too high for me!
    Mike
    DueNorth
    DueNorth

Post by DueNorth Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:17 am

busman78 wrote:These are Smittybilt, Jeep replacements narrow enough for these vans, adapting the original slider rails is easy, they are available in high back.
    Front Seats- which ones have you got? Img_0610
    Front Seats- which ones have you got? Img_0612
    Front Seats- which ones have you got? Img_0613

Thanks for that-Those look really smart ( & not expensive either!)- I had a look on their website & I think I would probably go for the highback version

-just a matter of how much they would charge for international shipping-shouldn't be too bad as I see they break down into 2 pieces & should be fairly light-I think I'll drop them an email!

Mike
    busman78
    busman78

Post by busman78 Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:58 am

Here is a picture of what I did to mount the original slider assembly, rather easy just two straps of 1/8" steel (different widths) bolted to the seat bases, then holes placed in the adapter steel to bolt the sliders at the correct spacing. Probably many other ways of installing using the original slider or aftermarket, this kept the height change to a minimum. All bolts, washers and nuts are grade 8.
    Front Seats- which ones have you got? Img_0614
    Front Seats- which ones have you got? Img_0615
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:27 pm

Front Seats- which ones have you got? Dsc00510
    Front Seats- which ones have you got? Dsc00512
    as much as I hate to say it, Honda civic. around 2003-4. decent for a 200 mile drive and I am 6'1" and a chubby 260 plus...LOL
    benwah
    benwah

Post by benwah Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:14 am

Wow. grade 8 bolts way overkill. I chopped the headrests off of my xj seats. I like to wear my straw cowboy hat in the summer. jkr I like your ashtray cover!
    busman78
    busman78

Post by busman78 Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:43 am

Yea kind of wasteful to spend a couple extra bucks on grade 8, they just hold the seat in, also use the same grade for seat belts, another wasteful use of money on high grade hardware.
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:39 pm

benwah wrote:Wow. grade 8 bolts way overkill. I chopped the headrests off of my xj seats. I like to wear my straw cowboy hat in the summer. jkr I like your ashtray cover!
    Front Seats- which ones have you got? A-100_11
    just a few of the fleet. but the dancing beer can is the special one. got it for a birthday present from my mom when I was about 16............ a looooooooong time ago.
    lws67
    lws67

Number of posts : 193
    Registration date : 2012-06-20

Post by lws67 Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:46 am

Here's another option, Empi 62-2950-0 and 62-2951-0 low-back tilt seats for VW's, about 20.5" wide with tilt and pocket on the back. Vintage look, nice quality, $418/set shippedFront Seats- which ones have you got? Img_2016
    Front Seats- which ones have you got? Img_2015
    Front Seats- which ones have you got? Img_2017
    Front Seats- which ones have you got? Img_2014
    Dan Scully
    Dan Scully

Number of posts : 254
    Registration date : 2016-07-30

Post by Dan Scully Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:40 pm

I like the stock seats myself. Had the 64 Dart GT design made into A-100 Covers.Front Seats- which ones have you got? 20170110
    Wayoutvan
    Wayoutvan

Number of posts : 17
    Registration date : 2017-07-21

Post by Wayoutvan Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:52 am

Nice dan. I like the stock seats too. I think i will re upholster mine in a saddle naugahide with square pleats. Been going back and forth on a square or diamond pleated interior,but i think I'm going with the squares on this one.
    bugeye bob
    bugeye bob

Number of posts : 383
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Post by bugeye bob Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:21 pm

Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:10 pm

There's no way those are leather for $80/pc

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 12:05 am