VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Insulation - Keeping the heat in or out?

Riconine
    Riconine

Number of posts : 53
    Registration date : 2016-01-03

Insulation - Keeping the heat in or out? Empty Insulation - Keeping the heat in or out?

Post by Riconine Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:03 am

Well got started on the insulation. removed the previous owners crap paneling. Found foil bubble wrap & blue foam floor tiles behind. Used the foam tiles as temporary on the floor, my knees appreciated that Laughing . Left the foil bubbles & added 1 1/2" hard foam, then a plastic vapor barrier. Now on to paneling bounce

Insulation - Keeping the heat in or out? Img_9410

Insulation - Keeping the heat in or out? Wp_20115

Insulation - Keeping the heat in or out? Wp_20116
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Insulation - Keeping the heat in or out? Empty Re: Insulation - Keeping the heat in or out?

Post by Vantasia Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:29 pm

A little tip on paneling:  The vertical posts are not wide enough to put screws side by side on either side of a vertical panel joint if you use standard panel joint strips.  Add small sheet metal plates screwed to the posts first to catch the screws if you intend to put the paneling vertically.  Some place it sideways.  Also at the bottom, I added cleats using small deck builders angles for the bottom edge to screw into.  Here's a pic of my paneled interior with vertical plastic panel joints.  I too insulated with two layers of foil bubble wrap, very quiet and stays warm/cool.  I did stuff the lower doors with fiberglass and did the uppers with bubble foil since I have no windows.  Many say fiberglass holds moisture but my van is garage kept year round and I'm not worried about it, it made it 50 years and the door bottoms were all repaired already by a PO.  Have fun!
    Insulation - Keeping the heat in or out? Gedc1314
    Insulation - Keeping the heat in or out? Gedc1313
    Note, that's plastic wainscot from Lowes on the ceiling....you can see my double screws on the side where the plates are installed.
    Riconine
    Riconine

Insulation - Keeping the heat in or out? Empty Re: Insulation - Keeping the heat in or out?

Post by Riconine Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:13 pm

Thanks Vantasia - Nice looking interior.
    I'm planning on running horizontal stringers along the driver's side wall to secure the vertical paneling. Won't need them for the other side. Going to do an LED strip around the crown moulding for lighting.
    Fun project, I've done a few vans, mostly VW. This was my last one.

Insulation - Keeping the heat in or out? Synres10
    uncle ron
    uncle ron

Number of posts : 91
    Registration date : 2012-05-31

Post by uncle ron Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:06 pm

Insulation - Keeping the heat in or out? 00213
    Insulation - Keeping the heat in or out? 8115
                                                   installed last year , still holding up
    Riconine
    Riconine

Post by Riconine Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:58 pm

Nice clean look Ron. Thanks for the info
    Ric
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:39 pm

uncle ron wrote:Insulation - Keeping the heat in or out? 00213
    Insulation - Keeping the heat in or out? 8115
                                                   installed last year , still holding up

Does look cleaner than my zillion screws! Good idea.  I used plastic panel joint strip for the verticals with screws at bottom, middle and top. BTW, the covering on the wheel wells is speaker cabinet cloth they use on PA speakers, easy to mold around the curves and held on with spray adhesive, quiets road noise too.
    uncle ron
    uncle ron

Number of posts : 91
    Registration date : 2012-05-31

Post by uncle ron Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:51 pm

The big drawback , if section #1 gets damaged you have to remove sections #2 -#4 in order to replace it . I like your interior work , crisp and really brightens things up .  Ron

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 07, 2024 6:38 pm