VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

crank and run electrical connection?

BADBADGER
    BADBADGER

Number of posts : 246
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

crank and run electrical connection? Empty crank and run electrical connection?

Post by BADBADGER Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:05 pm

I need to locate a power source that supplies 12 volts on both crank and run position. Any suggestions? 67 A100 with 318
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

crank and run electrical connection? Empty Re: crank and run electrical connection?

Post by donivan65 Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:11 pm

what are you trying to do,,,,,,,,those are 2 separate circuits,,,,,
    BADBADGER
    BADBADGER

crank and run electrical connection? Empty Re: crank and run electrical connection?

Post by BADBADGER Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:24 pm

Im swapping out the standard distributor for A DUI performance distributor., which eliminates the coil, ballast resistor and EIM. according to the mfgr you need only run a 12 gauge hot wire and tach wire to the distributor. So I ran a hot wire from the IGN switch, that was powered when the key is on, however there is no voltage to the distributor in crank position.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:28 pm

so,,,,,,on the starter solenoid,,,,,,there is a boost voltage terminal,,,,,should of had a wire from it to the positive side of the coil or output terminal on the ballast resistor,,,,,,that will shoot 12 volts out while the starter is cranking,,,,,,,,,see if that is what you got,,,,,,
    BADBADGER
    BADBADGER

Post by BADBADGER Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:34 pm

Thanks, will check that out in the AM!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:36 pm

I am thinking if you find the terminal on the ballast resistor with 2 wires on it, that wire needs to be connected or spliced to the wire that powers your new distributor,,,,,,,
    BADBADGER
    BADBADGER

Post by BADBADGER Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:44 am

Donivan65, you nailed it. Spliced the two wires together and got spark. Still wouldnt start so went back to the basics and checked the battery voltage, it was a bit too low to properly fire the new distributor module. Charged the battery and it fired right up.
    Many thanks for your ideas!!

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:43 am

that low battery might of been your problem all along,,,,,,,,tell us about the distributor you put in,,,,,,,,
    BADBADGER
    BADBADGER

Post by BADBADGER Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:13 pm

The new unit is a DUI Performance Distributor ,Summit PN "DUI-7082RD", the rd being the color of the cap, but not really red more like a wine color. The idea for me was to eliminate all of the requirements for a Ballast Resistor, external coil and the EIM control box. By eliminating the BR and reduced voltage to the coil it causes I increased the voltage to the spark plugs, and re-gapped them to .45 instead of the stock 35, hopeing to get better combustion. Thus increased performance. Also cleaned up the inside of the dog box. I also purchased the DUI Live Wire spark plug set to match the distributor however I'm not thrilled with the way they fit but I'm still arranging the wires and putting on the SP looms. Since the new Dist is some what wider in diameter than a stock distributor you have to run a smaller Dia. air cleaner. I am using an Edelbrock 1208 that is 10" in dia. At this point I have only fired it up once but hope to test drive later today.
    BADBADGER
    BADBADGER

Post by BADBADGER Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:23 pm

Completed the install. cleaned out all of the old ignition parts that are no longer needed. Engine runs smoother, feels more responsive to the pedal. also is quieter at idle. Drove a few blocks for a check out but weather is here is bad so don't want to go any further. So far I am very pleased with the results.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:35 pm

Some spark plugs aint made to run a .045 gap,,,,,,,so keep that in mind if any engine problems show up,,,,,,I am sure all the Dodgers here like to hear how that system works,,,,,,,,,,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 4:41 am