VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

A100 Steering Box Replacement - Difficult?

HotRodKush
    HotRodKush

Number of posts : 6
    Registration date : 2016-01-22

steering box removal - A100 Steering Box Replacement - Difficult? Empty A100 Steering Box Replacement - Difficult?

Post by HotRodKush Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:34 am

Question!  I have to replace my steering box.  Is it as simple as disconnecting the steering shaft, disconnecting the pitman arm, and removing the three mounting bolts?  Mine is a 3-speed manual so I might have to disconnect the shift linkage for clearance, but other than that is there anything else?  Anything I'm missing?  Just want to get an idea before I start if it's a 1 hour job or a 4 hour job.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

steering box removal - A100 Steering Box Replacement - Difficult? Empty Re: A100 Steering Box Replacement - Difficult?

Post by RodStRace Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:05 pm

1 hour IF all the bolts unscrew properly, nothing has been hacked up/patched and you have the right tools. You also have to drop the belly pan to access the 3 box bolts.

4 hours IF carpet was glued down, the cover bolts are rusty/rounded off, the shift linkage was tack welded/FUBAR'ed, you don't have a puller for the steering arm or something big enough to remove the BIG nut, and the turn signal wiring was spliced together.

Prior Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance
    HotRodKush
    HotRodKush

Number of posts : 6
    Registration date : 2016-01-22

steering box removal - A100 Steering Box Replacement - Difficult? Empty Re: A100 Steering Box Replacement - Difficult?

Post by HotRodKush Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:19 pm

Haha thanks! That's a good rundown. It LOOKS pretty clean - no big rust around that area, bolts not covered in grime, shift linkage fairly clean. I'll give it a shot tomorrow!
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:00 pm

I forgot to mention that the spring clips on the shift arms are a LOT easier to remove with the grille out. Of course the front Phillips screws are usually easy, BUT the lower edge bolts are often blocked by the bumper. All of this may add time, especially if the clips were replaced with cotter pins and caked with old, hard grease! If you clean this off thru the grille and can get to it from underneath, you can save time, but remember you have to put it together and adjust the linkage too when assembling.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 7:54 am