VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

King Pins and other replacement steering parts

Matt Hagan
    Matt Hagan

Number of posts : 48
    Registration date : 2008-05-28

King Pins and other replacement steering parts Empty King Pins and other replacement steering parts

Post by Matt Hagan Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:49 pm

I need to replace king pins and other steering parts.  Where to get them? Rolling Eyes
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

King Pins and other replacement steering parts Empty Re: King Pins and other replacement steering parts

Post by donivan65 Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:57 pm

If you got a G-10 and want bronze bushings, Rare Parts probably charges $137 for the kit,,,,,,,I got drag and center links for a G-10
    VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

King Pins and other replacement steering parts Empty Re: King Pins and other replacement steering parts

Post by VANagain Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:20 pm

I took the easy route and went with the nylon bushings on my new king pins. That's what they came with. I'm sure the bronze ones are better but I hear they may need some machining to be properly fit.

Here's more info on king pins:

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t909-king-pins-bushings#2404
    Matt Hagan
    Matt Hagan

Number of posts : 48
    Registration date : 2008-05-28

King Pins and other replacement steering parts Empty Thanks

Post by Matt Hagan Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:15 pm

Looks like I need to save some money! Thanks everyone for your 2 cents.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:45 pm

,,,it wont be too bad if you go with the $45 Moog 8494N Nylon bushings that came in the vans,,,,,
    ChevyVanMan1

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-07-19

Post by ChevyVanMan1 Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:24 pm

Although I'm oldschool and prefer bronze over nylon (Delrin® actually a space age polymer) the old plastic spacers probably lasted for decades. Hence, as the bronze kits were so hard and expensive to get I went with plastic. However, I only use White Lithium Grease to lube my kingpins and other front end parts. I'm no chemist, yet I know WLG does not dissolve plastic and rubber like regular grease will over time. Hence, maybe the new set will last even longer--surely past my and my van's lifetime.
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

Post by jrinaman Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:43 pm

recently replaced mine, used the nylon and took a couple hours or less. wanted bronze but they need machined. local spring shop quoted $800.00 for bronze if I carry in the axle.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:41 pm