VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

should I change my radiator

hud
    hud

Number of posts : 23
    Registration date : 2012-03-05

should I change my radiator Empty should I change my radiator

Post by hud Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:09 am

I have a 1966 E truck with the 240. what is the best replacement radiator? I want to drive long distances and wonder if I should change the original. seems like it got pretty hot in the summer. thanks, Hud
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

should I change my radiator Empty Re: should I change my radiator

Post by Vantasia Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:32 am

Have yours boiled out or better yet, re-cored at a radiator shop. A good radiator shop can do a flow test that will tell them which way to go with it.  IMHO, the best way to go, a good re-cored original copper radiator is better than a cheap import aluminum one.  I had mine for my Chevy done at an old school shop using a new core with more , larger tubes and it is fantastic, runs ice cold, under 180 even in 90+ degree weather since I had it done, under 170 in the winter.  Don't need any extra fans or scoops, etc. Of course, everything else in the cooling system has to be in order too.....but well worth the investment.  Old school shops are getting harder to find though since all new cars use throw away plastic and aluminum radiators these days, but many truck repair shops still do this work.  Just my advice...
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:46 pm

+1

Not any good replacement option available for the 240 radiator even if you wanted to buy a new one.
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:31 pm

I will agree on the re-core. If you have a 240 rad and the top and bottom tanks are good, then defiantly do a copper re-core. It will bolt right back in and keep a v-8 cool.Here is my 240 with a 3 row core.should I change my radiator Copy_o10
    hud
    hud

Number of posts : 23
    Registration date : 2012-03-05

Post by hud Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:45 am

thanks for all the info. recore it is
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Post by Vantasia Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:14 am

hud wrote:thanks for all the info. recore it is
    You will be happy going this route. If you haven't dropped it off already, ask for a heavy duty core. My guy used a 2 row of 45, 5/8" tubes in place of the stock 30, 1/2" tubes, gives about 40% more capacity. He told me for a six, three rows weren't really needed. It cost about $375 for the whole job because copper is so high, but it works fantastic plus it bolts right back in, no mods. My old tubes were more than 50% clogged with rust and scale when they opened it up, any 50 year radiator is most likely the same, that's why you run hot!
    Abitibi
    Abitibi

Number of posts : 479
    Registration date : 2014-06-23

Post by Abitibi Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:05 pm

That's good to know. I've always hesitated in the past between new aluminum ones or re-cored copper ones. I've done both and haven't had issues but these weren't for a van with a doghouse trapping a bunch of heat.

My radiator is in desperate need of love so I'll see if I can find a good local shop. Thanks for all the info...

David
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Post by Vantasia Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:57 am

Abitibi wrote:That's good to know. I've always hesitated in the past between new aluminum ones or re-cored copper ones. I've done both and haven't had issues but these weren't for a van with a doghouse trapping a bunch of heat.

My radiator is in desperate need of love so I'll see if I can find a good local shop. Thanks for all the info...

David

My place was real old school. a couple of old timer brothers who've been in business for many years, hard to find. Mostly does truck and bus radiators, told me car business is drying up because you can buy a replacement cheaper than he can re-core them for. But they do lots of muscle and classic cars so he really knew his stuff, master braizer, also does gas tanks and custom builds radiators for old vehicles, makes his own tanks for the cores, showed me some of his work while I was there. Place is called St. George Radiator Service in Linden, NJ, right outside of NYC, he will do ship and send from anywhere if customer pays shipping both ways, well worth it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 7:36 pm