VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Radio Antennae Alternatives: Should They Stay or Should They Go?

Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

Radio Antennae Alternatives:  Should They Stay or Should They Go? Empty Radio Antennae Alternatives: Should They Stay or Should They Go?

Post by Lazarusvan Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:51 pm

Curious how many guys that have done restos have kept the original antenna and bezel? On Chevys, they are pretty large bezels and antennae and I have an original to use. Was considering getting rid of it altogether for a cleaner if not less original look.

What are good alternatives that provide good radio reception and that don't need to be placed externally? Digz showed me his which runs across the front windshield. Looking for small and discreet where placement doesn't really matter if that exists.

Yes, I still listen to the radio.
    65-G10-guy
    65-G10-guy

Number of posts : 110
    Registration date : 2012-11-16

Radio Antennae Alternatives:  Should They Stay or Should They Go? Empty Re: Radio Antennae Alternatives: Should They Stay or Should They Go?

Post by 65-G10-guy Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:04 pm

I shaved the antenna, took out the radio and put on a louder muffler.   But then I am going for a cool look and it is not a daily driver. I wonder if an internal antenna would work?  my other car still has a reverberator in it. Remember those?  Jerry
    Barnabas
    Barnabas
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

Radio Antennae Alternatives:  Should They Stay or Should They Go? Empty Re: Radio Antennae Alternatives: Should They Stay or Should They Go?

Post by Barnabas Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:06 pm

About 25 years ago, I tried the antenna that was a thin wire taped to the windshield. After about ten years the tape started to yellow and peal up. That was a long time ago, I am sure the adhesives are much better now that they are made in China.

The reception was OK. I only wanted the big local stations anyway.

You really have to put it on the glass, since the metal roof will shield the radio reception.

Eventually I swapped out for a luggage rack that doubled as the TV/radio antenna.
    delraydoug
    delraydoug

Number of posts : 210
    Registration date : 2010-07-01

Post by delraydoug Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:21 pm

i have a little one thats made to stick on inside of windshield it also has a booaster built into it that you have to hook up to 12 volt

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 12:18 am