VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
BADBADGER
RodStRace
6 posters

CB radio antenna/antennae location

CB radio antenna/antennae location Empty CB radio antenna/antennae location

Post by Guest Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:55 pm

My dad just gave me the CB radio setup he had in his 69 E100... soo cool. I want to put it in my 66 E100.

My question is, where to put the antenna. Performance wise, the best place is the centre of the roof, as the roof is a large ground plane, it will reflect RF waves towards the antenna. Practical wise, the roof is probably worst place to put a super long antenna, especially in a parking garage.

Do you have a CB radio? Where did you put your antenna? Got pics?
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

CB radio antenna/antennae location Empty Re: CB radio antenna/antennae location

Post by RodStRace Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:11 pm

Parking Garages? Thanks, that reminds me of yet another crowded conditions warning sign that I traded away a couple years back for a slower, easier pace.
    I think there may be one 20-30 miles away, but I'm not sure. Next closest would be a couple hours away....sigh....
    Rear bumper (on an adapter plate between the bumper and bracket) would be best if you don't want to drill into the body itself.
    BADBADGER
    BADBADGER

Number of posts : 246
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

Post by BADBADGER Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:09 am

on my first 67 A100 I had a long CB antennae attached to the body behind the drivers door. Then I hooked the antennae to the rain gutterr with an antennae clip. Worked just fine.
    mcfly
    mcfly

Number of posts : 626
    Registration date : 2008-11-10

Post by mcfly Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:35 am

BADBADGER wrote:on my first 67 A100 I had a long CB antennae attached to the body behind the drivers door. Then I hooked the antennae to the rain gutterr with an antennae clip. Worked just fine.

That was the same for mine.

________
    mike
    hywaychild
    hywaychild

Number of posts : 389
    Registration date : 2008-05-27

Post by hywaychild Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:36 am

hey guy it all depends on what kind of antenna it is your best deal is to find a radio shop and make sure it has a good match you would need a meter for that some of them old antenna are not worth 2 cents some are great but if the match is off it will burn the finals out of your radio.Thats not good . most truck stops have a radio guy .. for the 10 or 20 bucks they charge ( some are even free ) you will have a better sounding radio

Post by Guest Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:25 pm

I'm pretty sure the antenna matches the unit. My dad worked at a radio shop when he got it. He told me the antenna was a very good one, he didn't want to give it to me at first.

I was thinking of mounting the coil just behind the drivers window... I think my van might have had an antenna there originally (it was a telephone company truck I was told) as it has holes in the body there. Clipping the antenna to the gutter is a great tip.
    bugeye bob
    bugeye bob

Number of posts : 383
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Post by bugeye bob Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:50 pm

i bought a cobra cb on sale at wally world a few months back and got a roof mount magnet type antenna for xmas, i will chat on it some but am going for the old skool look more than anything. i also plan to build a box to mount across the windshield to place it and a stereo in, this for the retro effect and plus i don't want to cut the dash.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:47 pm

SWR -must be set - u can get at radio shack or on ebay if needed- antanna height v/s radio must be set properly for best transmission & reception. Must cut the steel part of the antanna = where it mounts in the base!!-Long time since ive done this -yet if u really want to reach out-?? hehe - get a linear amplifier . U can talk to the moon on a nice vclear night!! yet I believe still FCC illegal yet still sold . I remember having the amplifier in my car in the 70's and when driving on interstete - could overpower the cars radio in front of me & tell the girls in the car to pull over & meet- was a lot of fun then=Smile)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 6:26 am