VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
dan nachel
jdlaugh
6 posters

Where do you hang a remote brake fluid reservoir?

jdlaugh
    jdlaugh

Number of posts : 298
    Registration date : 2013-03-18

Where do you hang a remote brake fluid reservoir? Empty Where do you hang a remote brake fluid reservoir?

Post by jdlaugh Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:28 pm

For those folks who have done a brake master cylinder conversion with a remote reservoir, where did you hang the reservoir? I can't see any good alternatives. I assume it needs to be above the master cylinder? Also, does it require special hose that can withstand brake fluid?

Any tips appreciated. Pics would be great!
    dan nachel
    dan nachel

Number of posts : 394
    Registration date : 2012-01-24

Where do you hang a remote brake fluid reservoir? Empty Re: Where do you hang a remote brake fluid reservoir?

Post by dan nachel Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:24 pm

yes it does need to be above the m/c and yes the hose needs to be made for brake fluid. I mounted mine to the driver seat support bracket. It is easy to see and fill.
    Casimier
    Casimier

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-07-26

Where do you hang a remote brake fluid reservoir? Empty Re: Where do you hang a remote brake fluid reservoir?

Post by Casimier Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:20 am

Hey Dan
    Can you possibly share a couple of pics on that installation?
    one for the connection to the MC and one pic of the the mount.
    Thanks
    Jim in NJ aka Casimier
    We will miss you at the Northeast Van Show July 18th.
    jdlaugh
    jdlaugh

Post by jdlaugh Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:19 am

Yes, pics would help. I'm assuming you mounted the reservoir to the seat base and cut holes in the doghouse to route the hoses to the MC?
    dan nachel
    dan nachel

Number of posts : 394
    Registration date : 2012-01-24

Post by dan nachel Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:35 pm

I don't have pictues, but yes I did cut holes for the hoses. The reservoir has two mounting tabs on top, and I just zip tied it to the seat post with one of the tabs. This might make a difference, I used the original m/c as the mount for the new m/c. I drilled out the end, fitted a pipe over the original m/c with a plate welded to the end for the new m/c to be mounted to. I made the push rod longer to go throught the original m/c to the new one. This set-up moved the new m/c back so it is directly below the seat leg.
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Post by Magic Bus Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:37 pm

Ive seen some mounted inside the doghouse near the radiator, ie in front of it.
    jdlaugh
    jdlaugh

Post by jdlaugh Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:20 am

I'm glad someone else went with the reservoir in front of the radiator, since that's what I did yesterday...  Here's a picture of my home-made setup using a master cylinder and reservoir from a Nissan Quest. I still need to buy some hose compatible with brake fluid.

Where do you hang a remote brake fluid reservoir? Brake_10

I'm attempting to use the old style pressure sensor to trigger the brake lights using the stock Econoline wiring. You can see the sensor mounted on a T-block in the center of the picture.

Where do you hang a remote brake fluid reservoir? Brake_12

I fabricated the master cylinder mount out of heavy-wall square tube. Not pretty, but seems functional. And it was essentially free, since I used material I already had in my scrap pile. The MC clears the sway bar by about an 1/8 inch. I still need to hook up the parking brake, but it's hanging in the stock location so shouldn't be a problem.

Where do you hang a remote brake fluid reservoir? Brake_11

I'm a little concerned the reservoir will hurt air flow to the radiator, but this seemed like the simplest mounting option. Time will tell. First I have to find some hose, bleed the brakes, then take it for a test drive!
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Post by Magic Bus Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:32 pm

Im sure that will work fine, I think the one I saw was mounted up high, near the radiator cap off to one side.
    Barnabas
    Barnabas
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

Post by Barnabas Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:50 pm

Magic Bus wrote:Im sure that will work fine, I think the one I saw was mounted up high, near the radiator cap off to one side.

I wish we had more "off to the side" in our dog houses. Very Happy
    FIZGIG
    FIZGIG

Number of posts : 334
    Registration date : 2014-01-23

Post by FIZGIG Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:30 pm

FIZGIG
    FIZGIG

Number of posts : 334
    Registration date : 2014-01-23

Post by FIZGIG Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:32 pm

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:26 pm