VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Remote brake booster '69 second Gen

Fcat
    Fcat

Number of posts : 78
    Registration date : 2019-02-11

Remote brake booster '69 second Gen Empty Remote brake booster '69 second Gen

Post by Fcat Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:39 am

I've had a good trawl around the many posts on brakes but nothing seems to exactly match what I'm looking for.

I'd like to keep my drums all round but make life a little easier (especially for my wife). I want to install a remote vacuum booster in the space in front of the passenger side wheel. The only dual line systems I can find are about $500 from a bespoke car builder site which seems disproportionate to the price of a single line system - can anyone think of anywhere I could try to source one?

Thanks Guys

Stay safe

*** sorry for mis-posting but maybe there is a Ford solution?

Last edited by Fcat on Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:02 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : in wrong forum)
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2631
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Remote brake booster '69 second Gen Empty Re: Remote brake booster '69 second Gen

Post by savage Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:57 am

GM did put some on vans, but are real$$$ to have rebuilt ,and hard to find parts for. I have seen pics of guys using the bracket off a mid Dodge to off set booster to the side. Maybe somebody will post some tips & pics.  
    Hate to tell you but your post is under the Econoline van general discussion, hopefully somebody will move it over to the Chevy Van section?? (I have no Idea how???)
    Fcat
    Fcat

Remote brake booster '69 second Gen Empty Re: Remote brake booster '69 second Gen

Post by Fcat Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:58 am

Thanks Savage!
    108VanGuy
    108VanGuy

Number of posts : 14
    Registration date : 2015-12-06

Remote brake booster '69 second Gen Empty Power Assist

Post by 108VanGuy Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:04 pm

I believe the original power assisted front brake system was a dealer installed system. It was mounted under the passenger side footwell. I have such a vehicle. It is a 69 G20. It has drum brakes all around and the power booster serves the front brakes only. The price of $500 is what I paid recently for the power booster only. Interestingly, it was imported from the UK. Perhaps it would be less expensive for you if we could locate the supplier. The dealer I purchased it from is located in Sacramento, California. Power Brake Supply.
    108VanGuy...
    Fcat
    Fcat

Post by Fcat Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:32 am

Thanks Van Guy

Front brakes only?! I've heard so many warnings about it that I hadn't considered it although it would be much simpler.
    AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 748
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Post by AzDon Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:24 pm

How are your fabrication skills?

I built this setup:

Remote brake booster '69 second Gen Master18[/url]
    [/code]

Remote brake booster '69 second Gen Master19

Remote brake booster '69 second Gen Master20

with the objective of turning the master around and placing it inboard right behind the grille because it's original location interferes with the jeep cherokee stabilizer bar I have installed...

I could just as easily have turned it sideways and added a booster by making the bellcrank arm "L" shaped and stepping up the "pedal effort ratio" as was done on chevy vehicles that were available with or without power brakes...…
    There are mad fab skills available on these forums if you can't DIY...….In my case, I'm kinda crudely equipped, so I'd be too expensive....
    AzDon
    AzDon

Post by AzDon Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:37 pm

Actually, I could have created "power brakes" on the setup I created above by making the brake pedal end of my bellcrank arm a bit longer than the master cylinder end, which would effectively increase the mechanical advantage and "feel" at the pedal, but would also increase the travel..... It would work fine because the brake pedal on these vans has more than plenty of travel... Damn!....Now I'm thinking of moving my "bellcrank box" right and remaking the arm to increase the pedal ratio...
    Fcat
    Fcat

Post by Fcat Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:48 am

Like the engineering there AzDon.

It looks properly bombproof - the bearings especially. I like how fluid your thinking is too!

I can fab. ok as long as its basic but remote servo is the way forward for me I think.
    AzDon
    AzDon

Post by AzDon Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:14 pm

Thanks for the compliments!......I'm trying to engineer to a much higher standard than GM exercised on most every system on these vans.... good example of GM crude engineering can be easily found by looking at the shift, clutch, and throttle linkages they used...….My "Bellcrank box" uses two industrial grade 1" self-aligning ball bearings with grease zerks…… The arm was created in 1/4" steel plate with a 1" shaft stuck through the middle of it at 90 degrees and welded.... The ends of the arms are 3/4 thick and threaded for 3/8 bolts so that force on the heim ends don't try to lay the bolts down...…..

Until commenting on this thread, I had forgotten that GM used different pedal ratios between p/b and no p/b......It just hadn't occurred to me (until now) that this concept could be taken a step further to create easier pedal effort and control by giving the pedal even more leverage over the master...….It can't really be easily done in stock configuration because the pedal's actuation arm is pretty darn short and moving the push rod closer to the pivot might yield less than necessary travel to operate the push rod....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 07, 2024 10:06 pm