VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
kookykrispy
66 Surf Wagon
6 posters

Paint options

Poll

What should I do for paint job

[ 3 ]
    Paint options I_vote_lcap30%Paint options I_vote_rcap [30%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Paint options I_vote_lcap0%Paint options I_vote_rcap [0%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Paint options I_vote_lcap10%Paint options I_vote_rcap [10%] 
    [ 6 ]
    Paint options I_vote_lcap60%Paint options I_vote_rcap [60%] 

Total Votes: 10
    66 Surf Wagon
    66 Surf Wagon

Number of posts : 63
    Registration date : 2012-09-24

Paint options Empty Paint options

Post by 66 Surf Wagon Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:17 pm

So the wife and I are debating painting the new van. I am still working on the fuel injection kit and hope to have it running by the end of the month but in the mean time we have been discussing paint options. The van is currently in all original paint. We considered just buffing the paint out, but I was able to trade my other van towards a credit towards a new paint job for this van. Here is the van currently:

Paint options Img_0010

We have tossed around painting a white stripe around the windows and adding the deluxe club wagon side trim to the van while repainting it the original chrome yellow. I am not sure if we should keep bumpers white or chrome them. Same debate for the mirrors, white or chrome. Something like this:

Paint options Yellow10

The interior has a black dash pad and glove box door. I also have all black leather porsche seats for the front. I will be reupholstering some aerostar seats to match the front. What do you guys think? Suggestions?
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Paint options Empty Re: Paint options

Post by kookykrispy Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:25 am

Buff the original paint. Chrome the bumpers.
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:38 am

I beat a different drum than most. One of the things I liked about the van you bought was the original chrome yellow paint. I think it's perfect just the way it is. Just a buff and it will look great. They only wear original paint once. When it's gone it gone for good. You have a nice van. Preserve it.

Duane
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:12 am

I like the white stripe and white roof look. It looks like you have some issues that should be dealt with that buffing won't fix, crease on the side doors, something is going on behind/below the window frames, and maybe some extra holes in the front doors and back on the rear quarter. I like the color. I'd chrome those bumpers if it were me and re-chrome the roof rack while I was at it if it needs it.
    66 Surf Wagon
    66 Surf Wagon

Number of posts : 63
    Registration date : 2012-09-24

Post by 66 Surf Wagon Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:26 am

You guys are right on the money with both sides of the debate. @ Seth, there is more minor damage and repairs necessary then I first saw. It definitely wouldn't be fixed by just buffing out the paint....hence why I am leaning towards painting it. I couldn't really pass up the opportunity to trade the old van as I was planning to put whatever money from the blue van back into the new yellow van anyways. I think the paint would buff out nice but still would be in "15 footer" condition. It is all the little dings, dents and holes that would bother me and I don't know how I would fix them without bodywork. Also, would you guys get rid of the roof vent window? It is hard to see in the pictures but it is in the middle of the rear of the roof. I personally think an all white roof and windows is a little too much white but certainly not sold yet.
    AZ SuperVan
    AZ SuperVan

Number of posts : 219
    Registration date : 2013-09-12

Post by AZ SuperVan Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:30 pm

If you do the side trim I would skip the two tone. Or if you do the two tone I would skip the side trim. The two seem to fight each other. The Chrome Yellow is such a cool color I would have to stay with that. My firstr choice would be side trim chrome bumpers and rack and stay with the yellow color.
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:29 pm

The scraps and dings wouldn't bother me. It's all character. The holes could be soldered up and use a little touch up paint to help hide them. There will still be a spot but it won't be as noticeable as a hole. I'm into the character and history of these. That's just me. One of my favorite vans in our group is this orange van that belongs to Chris Wiggs. It was old and crusty when he found it. He cut and buffed it and I think it turned out great. It has rust, dent's, missing paint but it still looks cool to me. I see yours turning out even better.

Paint options DSC02079-vi

In the end it's your van and you should build it to make you happy. It doesn't matter what we like. It's all about what you like. These are an extension of our personality. Built it your way. Even if that's purple with pink polka dots. You are the one that's going to be driving it. Have it your way.

Duane
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:48 pm

I can see both sides of the story but if you decide you can't live with the holes and creases, I'd stick with the Chrome Yellow Paint color and I personally would add the Chrome side trim and bumpers because I just love the look on the window vans. And if you could somehow find one of the dash skirts, I just LOVE the way those finish off the dashboard and hide the wiring underneath.

Like Duane says, it's your van and you should do it the way you like and not worry what anyone else thinks because the more you like it, the better you'll enjoy cruising in it!!! Very Happy cheers

Duane, I just love them all...even the farm fresh crusty ones that show off their character with pride!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 2:51 pm