VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Tailgate Options

RF Man
    RF Man

Number of posts : 120
    Registration date : 2014-03-14

Tailgate Options Empty Tailgate Options

Post by RF Man Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:38 am

I've researched about everything I can find on tailgate options. Is there a particular reason people say use a Dodge tailgate in lew of, say a Chevy tailgate, when fabbing something new. I actually have 2 Ford tailgates, but both are in bad shape---I'm looking for a better option. The guy on the HAMB that re-works the original looks interesting but that won't work for me because my better tailgate is bowed in the middle. Paying $1000 for a good tailgate seems insane---that's if you can find one. Cutting down a new truck tailgate seems like the best option but in my area Ford and Chevy tailgates are much more plentiful. Can these be used with success? Any of you guys that have re-worked tailgates, please chime in.
    THX Mike
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Tailgate Options Empty Re: Tailgate Options

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:27 am

some one a few years back did just that = got a late model ford tailgate & cut it. was a nice mod & when finished looked great . There also is someone making new hinge parts too!! cheers
    dan nachel
    dan nachel

Number of posts : 394
    Registration date : 2012-01-24

Post by dan nachel Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:03 pm

I've read that the dodge dakota tail gate has a close fit and the body lines are close also.
    scarlin
    scarlin

Number of posts : 258
    Registration date : 2012-01-25

Post by scarlin Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:37 pm

Twin that would be me making the tailgate hinges, reproduction of the originals. Still have the sidestep covers too, I hear they fit Chevys! TOO.  and a few other parts.
    Sam in MI
    johnnybentwrench
    johnnybentwrench

Number of posts : 50
    Registration date : 2013-09-02

Post by johnnybentwrench Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:36 am

Be patient. I went through the same thing then I found an original one for 300 dollars. I have cut the bottom open along the length and inserted a 1" heavy walled tube. John Los Angeles, CA
    RF Man
    RF Man

Number of posts : 120
    Registration date : 2014-03-14

Post by RF Man Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:16 am

I actually have 2 tailgates---the non rusty one is bowed in the middle---there's no way it can be straightened out. The one from my 65 parts unit is straight,but it's extremely rusty. I would be able to do the rebuild like the guy on the HAMB does on it. He essentially puts a 1" pipe in the bottom, uses the side frames, and then re-skins the whole thing. The final product is awesome----but what a lot of work. I'm slow---that would take me a long time. It still may be a better option than chopping down a late model tailgate. That's why I wanted to know if other models of trucks could be chopped down. Around here chevy or ford tailgates can be had for under $100---the dodge's seem to bring a lot more money and are way harder to find. Still fishing for ideas. With good tailgates bringing up to $1200, I'm surprised no one has taking up reproduction.
    THX Mike

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 7:16 pm