VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Tranny question????

FIZGIG
    FIZGIG

Number of posts : 334
    Registration date : 2014-01-23

Tranny question???? Empty Tranny question????

Post by FIZGIG Fri May 15, 2015 12:05 pm

Has anyone ever had tranny fluid come out of the dipstick tube from the motor overheating?

I have a 250 cu in motor with the c4 auto trans and if I go on the freeway or drive more than 15 minutes I noticed that trans fluid has burped out of the dipstick tube onto my exhaust and starter. I noticed my motor's temp was over 200 degrees when this happened. I started the truck the other day took the radiator cap off and noticed there is no flow of fluid in the radiator so Im thinking its either a thermostat and or a water pump. Please weigh in if anyone has experienced this.

Thanks
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Tranny question???? Empty Re: Tranny question????

Post by Seth G Fri May 15, 2015 12:41 pm

Could be the thermostat is bad or was pinned or otherwise installed incorrectly. I think the main way a water pump goes bad is leaking at the shaft seal. Pull the stat and drop it in some 190 deg water and see if it opens. Are you getting heat to the heater core? Is the transmission over filled? Once the truck is up to temp, whatever that stat is rated for, you should definitely see flow @ the radiator.

If you find that the stat is fine and collant actually does flow once it's warmed up you may want to check your timing and be should it is advanced enough, also check your plugs for a lean condition from the carb. Retarded timing and/or a lean carb will quickly lead to overheating.

I don't know enough about transmissions to tell you much about the fluid spitting out. Never seen that myself. I assumed you've checked the fluid level with the truck level and the transmission @ operating temperatures. If you fill it cold you will overfill it. If it's over filled it will be foamy.
    FIZGIG
    FIZGIG

Post by FIZGIG Fri May 15, 2015 12:58 pm

One of the bolts that hold the t housing in broke. Hooray!!!! Off to my mechanic it goes. lol
    FIZGIG
    FIZGIG

Post by FIZGIG Fri May 15, 2015 1:01 pm

my truck has no heater
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Fri May 15, 2015 1:57 pm

IMO,,,,,,  I would firstly confirm the temperature gauges reading. I use two different types of cooking thermometers. One is digital and the other is the one with a probe. Stick it in the water in the top of the radiator and it will tell you the TRUE temperature.
      All said,,, there may be several reasons as to why the fluid is coming out of the dipstick??? With the first suspicion not making sense with what you are saying???????  On our Econolines  the VENT TUBE for the trans is directly over the rear servo and MUCH LOWER than the top of the dipstick. What doesn't make sense to what your are saying is that it should leak firstly out of that vent tube as it is far below the dipstick tubes height????????????? how can it overcome draining out of the lower hole and make it all the way to the top??  IF someone has changed the transmisison to a later type that does not vent at that location and they indeed also put the wrong tail stock on it without a vent on top of it like the later year C4's used??? THEN it could over flow at the top of the dip stick tube.
      Regardless the only way it can puke is to be over filled or would guess a bad valve body passing all the fluid from the torque converter back and down into the pan. In a normal sittuation there is a check valve in the valve body that closes when the engine is shut off and if that valve is faulty, ALL of the fluid that is normally inside the torgue converter will drain back into the pan and over flow out the vent tube over the rear servo. 
      It may also be that the added heat is from a faulty transmission and its ADDING heat to the already compromised radiator load. 
    Vic/OldSkool
      Tranny question???? 100_0713
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Fri May 15, 2015 4:05 pm

Just had another thought?????????   Check to see that the above vent tube is not blocked and that if you do not have this type??  It came standard on our years, however,,,, later years blocked this port off and installed a breather on the top of the tail stock INSTEAD OF as in the picture. IF someone where to have replaced the earlier type body which has no hole for this type breather and then they installed the Econoline tail stock on it, it would not have a breather in it like the later ones did.  This would mean that the transmission fluid is being pumped out of the torque converter faster than it can be put back in and then with no breathers in it, it could possibly over flow out the dip stick tube???
    Just thinklng,, If you look carefully, you can see a small round breather on the top of this type tail stock and NO breather on top of the rear servo like in our years. 
    Vic
    Tranny question???? Photo510
    FIZGIG
    FIZGIG

Post by FIZGIG Mon May 18, 2015 6:56 am

Thanks everyone for the info I will bring this to my tech and have him check everything. OldSkool do you have a short tail stock in stock and how much do you charge for them.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Mon May 18, 2015 10:38 am

FIZGIG,,,,,,,,,,, Yes,,, Always looking for and buying both transmissions and tail stocks with a full inventory except for the car type tailstocks.  Tail stocks also include the output shaft assembly as well as small or large output yokes and new output seals. 
      In stock small six either donut mount or late mount,, under trans mount as well as full line of manuals.
     Please pm for prices as you didnt mention which type u are looking for... LOL
    Vic

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 3:29 am