VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+8
Joe Van
diamond dave
Magic Potion
solospeedshop
Vantasia
panelmanrd
donivan65
Bobert
12 posters

gas tanks and front bumpers

Bobert
    Bobert

Number of posts : 21
    Registration date : 2015-04-04

gas tanks and front bumpers Empty gas tanks and front bumpers

Post by Bobert Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:46 am

Hi, I'm new here, this is my first post, I'll do a better introductory post once I have my van and can post pics. Ill be getting my first van next week, its a 1965 chevy. It needs work but I can see the potential, one thing it needs is a new gas tank. I have searched the fourm, and seen people working on gas tanks, but since this needs a new one, does anyone know of a place that sells complete gas tanks for these machines? Its also missing its front bumper, which seems to be a common thing I am seeing here with these vans, does anyone know any other model vehicles that a front bumper off of would look good/ fit on these vans, so Ill have a good idea what to look for on my junkyard adventures. Thanks!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

gas tanks and front bumpers Empty Re: gas tanks and front bumpers

Post by donivan65 Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:44 am

Solo has some kind of a  pick up bumper on his 66,,,,,,,,

gas tanks and front bumpers Dscn6325
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Number of posts : 801
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

Post by panelmanrd Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:21 am

donivan65 wrote:Solo has some kind of a  pick up bumper on his 66,,,,,,,,

gas tanks and front bumpers Dscn6325
    the front bumper here is a 67/72 chevy truck stepside rear bumper,
    have one on the front of my 68 108, same one on avatar
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:30 pm

Ah, gas tanks! Welcome, look at the recent thread on this.
    https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t47129-1st-gen-fuel-tank-for-chevy  
    No one makes a new gas tank for these.  A few folks have old ones stashed that are taken from junkyards and usually need some minor repair since most yards punch holes in them to drain them.  Check with member Magic Potion he hooked up with a person who had several tanks available and ask him who he got his tank from.  PM him.  Any good old school radiator/tank shop can clean it and patch any holes.  Then search and read the threads on getting a sending unit for it, several options here too....do you have the old tank and sneder? maybe they can be saved or rebuilt? how about the attaching straps and J-bolts? replacements are available for those and the bolts are easy to make.   Stock front bumpers come around for sale from time to time, again, no new ones made, keep asking around for vans being parted out.  I found a nice rear one from a member who was discarding his stock ones when doing a custom body with molded in bumpers.  Also check eBay often, parts for these vans show up all the time!  A few truck bumpers can be modified like in the pic above....as for boneyard, some have modified early Comaro bumpers to fit....
    Good luck with it and post some pics soon...
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:44 pm

and his rear bumper,,,,,

gas tanks and front bumpers Dsc04410

gas tanks and front bumpers Dscn6327
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Post by panelmanrd Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:01 pm

nice fit on a first gen on both ends
    solospeedshop
    solospeedshop

Number of posts : 62
    Registration date : 2014-05-06

Post by solospeedshop Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:22 pm

Both Bumpers on Solo Van are For Sale As he just got two new Nos Bumpers! Email Him mtnmanbf@aol.com Also Solo had the same problem with tank & no one had a good one His Van's Tank was redone by http://www.gas-tank.com/ They were great! If you are looking for Cheap Delete this Post! Nothing Cheap is done right! Tks Solo PS Tks for posting pics Doni!
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Post by panelmanrd Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:35 pm

fast, correct, cheap, I tell my boss pick two, can`t have all three!!!!!!
    Bobert
    Bobert

Post by Bobert Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:14 pm

Oh no worries there guys I'll all to familiar with the fast, cheap, good problem. I have found new gas tanks made for similar year chevy trucks didn't know if they would fit in the van or not.
    Magic Potion
    Magic Potion

Number of posts : 148
    Registration date : 2015-03-13

Post by Magic Potion Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:31 pm

Bobert, I PM'd you a lead for a used tank with a hole in it. I know that doesn't sound that great, but it's a pretty good option when you look at the alternatives. I got mine fixed for $120.
    diamond dave
    diamond dave

Number of posts : 565
    Registration date : 2012-04-24

Post by diamond dave Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:12 pm

I cleaned and sealed my last econoline's tank with a kit from summit racing. it was around 80 bucks. doesn't do any good if you don't have one to start with though. I do like the looks of solo's bumpers. nice alternative to stock.
    Bobert
    Bobert

Post by Bobert Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:21 am

Sadly Solo is to far away for me to get the bumpers, but at least I have a good idea what to look for in the local junk yards. I don't know if it has a gas tank or not, I'll find out on saturday for sure, the guy im getting the van from does a lot of restorations and customs and he told me it need a new tank so that's currently all the info I have. In the mean time my friends keep giving my friendly suggestions like using an off the shelf race car fuel cell, and similar ideas, doubt anyone here has given that a try have they? Also this is one of the sites I found with gas tanks, http://www.lmctruck.com/features/cbe/CBE3F5.htm . Since I know these vans have a lot in common with the trucks of those years, would either of these tanks fit, or easily be made to fit? Thanks everyone for the help so far, this is really proving to be a very friendly forum.
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:00 am

Welcome To VV..!!!.. cheers ..IMO I would wait until you get the van first then see what kind of shape the tank in it is... it may be repairable..???..These gas tanks were made for the van's only not the pick up trucks.. I have seen some people install 1971-85 Chevy Van 18 & 22 gallon gas tanks in a early with some modifications..Bumpers are hard to find also 1st and 2nd gen.. I think if I needed bumpers for mine I would go with the ones Solo & Panelmanrd has they look factory and match the body "Nice" I wonder if they are bolted in the factory location and if they used any of the stock brackets.??. Smile ...

Post by solospeedshop Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:04 am

Hey!
    I just pulled mine & sent to people I posted! Also had sender unit rebuilt! I have 20 something Cars & trucks Funny this is the first time the rebuilt sending unit worked perfect!
    Van tank fits between frame rails! Those truck tanks wrong size & only the side unit would work if you want to try! Good Luck! Also I used the Stainless straps guy sells on Evilbay & worked perfect! Bumpers do bolt in stock location but side brackets not hooked up with a little work they could! Solo
    morbank
    morbank

Number of posts : 161
    Registration date : 2014-07-30

Post by morbank Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:13 am

Solo, do you happen to have any info on the eBay seller that you bought the straps from? I'm in need of some as well.
    morbank
    morbank

Post by morbank Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:19 am

solospeedshop
    solospeedshop

Post by solospeedshop Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:23 am

morbank
    morbank

Post by morbank Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:31 am

Thanks!
    Bobert
    Bobert

Post by Bobert Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:35 am

Well while searching an unrelated topic I found this thread, https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t35058p60-van-crazy-65-chevy#166157 and on pg. 5 the guy replaces the gas tank with this one http://www.brotherstrucks.com/prodinfo.asp?number=GTPDS66 with only minor mods, its a little pricey, but good to know that if worst comes to worst I can just get a new tank. Although given that price I'll defiantly be looking into other options.
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Post by Vantasia Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:53 am

Joe Van wrote:Welcome To VV..!!!.. cheers ..IMO I would wait until you get the van first then see what kind of shape the tank in it is... it may be repairable..???..These gas tanks were made for the van's only not the pick up trucks.. I have seen some people install 1971-85 Chevy Van 18 & 22 gallon gas tanks in a early with some modifications..Bumpers are hard to find also 1st and 2nd gen.. I think if I needed bumpers for mine I would go with the ones Solo & Panelmanrd has they look factory and match the body "Nice" I wonder if they are bolted in the factory location and if they used any of the stock brackets.??. Smile ...

Ditto! See what you have, most tanks are repairable no matter how bad it its, even a rusted out bottom can be re-made and better than trying to fit something in there.  Rust on the inside is no problem either, maybe that's what the seller is referring too...again wait and see before you put out requests for things you may not need~  and shipping a pair of rare hard to get bumpers cross country is no big deal either, box 'em up and any carrier like Fed Ex Ground can handle bumpers...boxes would be no different than the patio umbrellas they sell on QVC all the time.....
    Bobert
    Bobert

Post by Bobert Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:07 am

Solo was the one talking about it being to much to ship across country, the size plus the weight really kills it, and no worries on buying anything straight away, I'll have the van in my possession before I buy anything. Although by all accounts the seller is honest and truthful about these kinds of things, but when I get to look at in person if it hasn't been accurately represented I won't get it (which would kill me, but there are other fish in the sea). So I'm not dropping money on things I not sure I will even need. But since I get to see it in person this weekend and pick it up next weekend I figured I just better start my research now. it needs other things to but I'm slowly tracking them down and book marking them.
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Post by Vantasia Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:03 pm

Bobert wrote:Solo was the one talking about it being to much to ship across country, the size plus the weight really kills it, and no worries on buying anything straight away, I'll have the van in my possession before I buy anything. Although by all accounts the seller is honest and truthful about these kinds of things, but when I get to look at in person if it hasn't been accurately represented I won't get it (which would kill me, but there are other fish in the sea). So I'm not dropping money on things I not sure I will even need. But since I get to see it in person this weekend and pick it up next weekend I figured I just better start my research now. it needs other things to but I'm slowly tracking them down and book marking them.

OIC, but don't pass on bumpers over the cost of shipping....best thing to do is make a big list when you get it starting with mechanicals, electric, missing parts, cosmetics and prioritize things, it has to stop first, then steer and 3rd, go forward...LOL We've all been through this before and you've come to the right place for answers and parts sources....
    Bobert
    Bobert

Post by Bobert Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:37 pm

I'll defiantly do that, thanks for the advice!
    AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 742
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Post by AzDon Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:03 pm

Cool bumpers! I wonder if those would look right on the front of a 69 van, with it's more rounded shape(?) I've also been eyeing 53 chev pickup rear bumpers as having potential for the front of my 69
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:12 pm

I surely see a 51 chevy pick up with new bumpers in my back yard, hauling wood away,,,,,,

gas tanks and front bumpers Dscn6340

gas tanks and front bumpers Dscn6341

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:11 am