VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
G-Man
southern man
kgdb
7 posters

Front Bumpers...what are you using?

kgdb
    kgdb

Number of posts : 266
    Registration date : 2009-12-03

Front Bumpers...what are you using? Empty Front Bumpers...what are you using?

Post by kgdb Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:45 pm

I have the stock bumper but not crazy about them at all. I have been looking around for a "different" front bumper to use. I keep coming back to a 32 Ford front bumper, very cool. I was wondering what alternatives you have all been using?

kgdb
    southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

Front Bumpers...what are you using? Empty Re: Front Bumpers...what are you using?

Post by southern man Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:34 pm

I am not going to use bumpers. I have toyed with getting custom nerf bars made up (and 32 Ford could look very cool). For now, I'm going bare.
    kgdb
    kgdb

Front Bumpers...what are you using? Empty Re: Front Bumpers...what are you using?

Post by kgdb Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:15 pm

southern man wrote:I am not going to use bumpers. I have toyed with getting custom nerf bars made up (and 32 Ford could look very cool). For now, I'm going bare.

Well around these parts a truck can run without a rear bumper but must have a full front bumper. I would love to go with nerfs up front but that is looking for trouble here.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:42 pm

southern man here a great place to get nerf bars, I have gotten other parts from this guy and if you want something custom made he can do it
    http://www.mcmillanrodandcustom.com/nerfbars.ivnu

kgdb the best people to ask is econoUSAparts or fmc56. If someone has found a differant bumper to use these guys would know it.
    kgdb
    kgdb

Post by kgdb Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:12 pm

Thanks G-Man. I can fabricate almost anything to fit on the econo, just looking for something basic, vintage and cool looking. Thanks for the info.

kgdb
    fmc56
    fmc56

Number of posts : 553
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by fmc56 Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:27 pm

Front Bumpers...what are you using? Lake_c10

I think the yellow truck has a 50's Mercury rear bumper on the front and the mercury front bumper on the back. I took that photo at a swap meet. When I parked there in the morning the lot was empty, when I returned the yellow truck and red truck were on either side of me. I didn't met either owner that day but eventually met both. The yellow truck is from CT and the red one from MA.
    Fred
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:52 pm

Wow!!!! Thank Red one is bad a$$ looking. Are those GTO headlights. Gives it a Deora look
    wylee
    wylee

Number of posts : 917
    Registration date : 2009-04-03

Post by wylee Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:43 am

im leaving the bumps off, ebay had a a100 pickup for sale and coverd the bump hole with reflectors or marker lites. and looked sharp.
    southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

Post by southern man Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:33 am

"Well around these parts a truck can run without a rear bumper but must have a full front bumper."

Wow, I'd never heard of that! Bummer. I don't know that I can verbalize a vision I've had, but what about a 20's-30's style of thin metal tubing in a loop, strung between the bumper brackets? (don't feel bad if you can't picture what I'm trying to describe!).

G-man - thanks for that link, but I've already book marked that guy's site and is where I'll go if I decide on the nerf bars. I spent quite a lot of time searching around the net for nerf bars, with no luck, and then finally stumbled on that guys site. Actually the rear is more of a problem because the doors open just above the bumper brackets, making it difficult to have anything rise about the brackets, which doesn't have the look I was imagining. I like the one's Mike had on the front of Vanishing Breed.
    kgdb
    kgdb

Post by kgdb Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:23 pm

southern man wrote:"Well around these parts a truck can run without a rear bumper but must have a full front bumper."

Wow, I'd never heard of that! Bummer. I don't know that I can verbalize a vision I've had, but what about a 20's-30's style of thin metal tubing in a loop, strung between the bumper brackets? (don't feel bad if you can't picture what I'm trying to describe!).

souther man, I think I am picking up what you are tossing down. Thanks.

kgdb
    fmc56
    fmc56

Post by fmc56 Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:02 pm

G-Man wrote:Wow!!!! Thank Red one is bad a$$ looking. Are those GTO headlights. Gives it a Deora look
    That truck was done about 30 years ago and is still around MA, he owners name is Paul. It needs a complete restoration now. Even though the roof is chopped he kept the full size windsheild. I think your right about the GTO headlights, used the ends of the fenders also. I bought a real nice all original 64 Econoline van from him with 50,000 miles on it about a month after I took the photo. The van had been stored indoors since it was new and used as a groundskeepers truck for a local shrine. It had one small dent in the rear quarter. I sold it to a freind who repainted it and has been driving it ever since. The front bumper was shortened 4" and the brackets welded to it
    Fred
    Front Bumpers...what are you using? Dsc01910
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:02 pm

That is a very sharp van also , would love to see all of those in person someday. Internet groups are great , but we are all so far from each other we never get to see them all in person Sad

Post by Guest Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:32 pm

I had my grill redone so the slots for the mounts aren't there anymore, so I'm running without front or rear bumpers. I wonder at times now just how smart that is.....

That shortened smoothy bumper looks really good. Love that orange van, my first Econo back in the 70's had Keystone Klassics just like that on it. Any idea what the spoiler came off of?
    Hangtime
    Hangtime

Number of posts : 64
    Registration date : 2008-09-11

Post by Hangtime Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:46 pm

Check out briz bumpers. It's a finned aluminum bumper that is definitely an iconic vintage lookwww.brizbumpers.com
    fmc56
    fmc56

Post by fmc56 Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:24 pm

G-Man wrote:That is a very sharp van also , would love to see all of those in person someday. Internet groups are great , but we are all so far from each other we never get to see them all in person Sad
    I've met a lot of people from the Internet groups in the last few years at Ford Carlisle, Daytona Turkey Run and the Mid South Econoline meet in Arkansas. I always drive one of my Econolines and try to visit anyone on the way. This years 3400 mile round trip to Arkansas included visits to fellow early Econoline owners in Jackson TN, Sarah MS and Fort Thomas KY. Here's a link to the Arkansas meet http://www.todaysthv.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=90663&catid=2#
    At the end of this summer I hope to make it to Glendale AZ with the return trip including the Mid South Econoline meet again, this time it will be 5600 miles round trip. I met a lot of great people there last year and got to check out 18 other Econolines!
    In the spring I am hosting a small get together in RI for any early owners. We have a dozen or more early Econoline owners here in RI. I will post more info on the date later.
    Fred
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:06 am

Fred that what I like to hear someone taking the time to set up there our early get together. Can't remember anyone having one on the east coast. About a month (or even earlier) Make a post in the event section for your show. I always draw quite a few to Baker's from here.
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by EconoCarl Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:57 am

Hangtime wrote:Check out briz bumpers. It's a finned aluminum bumper that is definitely an iconic vintage lookwww.brizbumpers.com

How many of you have been asked "What year Volkswagon is that?"
    Damn . . . even the Briz people think we have VW's!

Front Bumpers...what are you using? Empty 1929

Post by Guest Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:51 pm

my bumper up front is off of a 1929 model a Front Bumpers...what are you using? 8ball_11Front Bumpers...what are you using? 8ball_12
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:00 pm

That has a great Old School look!!!!

Post by Guest Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:23 pm

i was at the wreckers one day and i saw this rusted springy thing under an old farm truck. turns out it was this bumper. i paid forty bucks for it and the nuts threaded right off of the brackets like no problem. after a bit of welding and a hockey puck, it fit right on there and there you go.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:44 pm