VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Tires and wheels, I need some examples.

Magic Potion
    Magic Potion

Number of posts : 148
    Registration date : 2015-03-13

Tires and wheels, I need some examples. Empty Tires and wheels, I need some examples.

Post by Magic Potion Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:35 pm

I have looked through the archives and gallery, tire rack, ebay, etc... I am leaning towards 15"x7" on front 15"x8" on back. Still not sure about the back spacing. I had chrome rims with the baby moons on my 69 chevy van back in the late 70s and they looked pretty good but I have been looking at the rally type wheels in Chrome and the ones that are the color of the van (which would be primer for a while). I like the police moons with either combo. I also like the 5 spoke rims that I have seen on some of the vans, that look like a mustang rim. Pictures or links of wheels and tires all would be appreciated. I would like to see your set up with some of the details.
    Xelmon
    Xelmon

Number of posts : 361
    Registration date : 2011-10-11

Tires and wheels, I need some examples. Empty Re: Tires and wheels, I need some examples.

Post by Xelmon Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:51 pm

I'll get ya pics in a few days, I'm currently rocking original steels and will - eventually - have full steelies on there.
    vanner68
    vanner68

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

Tires and wheels, I need some examples. Empty Re: Tires and wheels, I need some examples.

Post by vanner68 Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:59 am

I'm running 15x8 steelies all the way around, with bowtie baby moon caps. Sometimes I run the skinny rings.

Tires are 275/60-15 rear, 235/60-15 front, no rubbing.

BTW, mine is a G20, 6 lugs. The steelies were stock on the military CUCV- basically a diesel Blazer.

Tires and wheels, I need some examples. CAM00410_zpscb10a0f3
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:12 am

15 x 7 all around is a good choice, my van had 15 x 8's on rear when I got it and I switched back, too wide for my tastes.  With 15" you need to keep the tire size down, I run 195/65R in the front and 215/60 in the rear, nice combo and just fat enough in the rear.  BTW, smaller front tires are much easier to steer.   For wheels, I went with Cragar Soft 8's, a more modern all steel SUV wheel, low cost too, new SS or AM Racing are gonna cost you!
    Tires and wheels, I need some examples. 08141410
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:13 am

as my old memory fades some - seems that back spacing on most all 60's stuff was 3 &1/2" scratch
    vanner68
    vanner68

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

Post by vanner68 Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:20 am

Backspacing on factory wheels is usually half the width, or zero offset as it's called.

My 15x8's have a 4" backspacing.
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:21 am

BTW, Tirebuyer.com is better than tirerack, free shipping on most sets, Jegs is great for wheels as is Summit Racing, local shops will kill you on wheel prices....Oh yeah, the back spacing of any modern mag wheel will be correct for drum brake set ups, most are made for this set up.
    Magic Potion
    Magic Potion

Number of posts : 148
    Registration date : 2015-03-13

Post by Magic Potion Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:00 pm

Thanks for the input. I usually know what I like when it come to cars but there are so many options and looks like each van sets up a little different. I can see deciding on a set up and then finding a good deal on a set and going with that. I definitely need something soon my van looks like a bathtub on roller skates.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 8:18 am