VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Tires ad Wheels

Tires ad Wheels Empty Tires ad Wheels

Post by Guest Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:22 pm

Funished up my '64 G10 with 14 x 7 Cragar wheels and 195/60/14 passenger tires all round. Leaf springs have been re-arched, new shocks and bushings. Seems like I feel every crack in the street and get a thump with the smallest rock. Snubbers are not hitting. Just seems like the tires may be too light duty for the front end weight. Or it's been a long time since I have driven it, and this may be normal. Looked into some light truck tires, but not much out there for a 14" rim. What do you think?
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Tires ad Wheels Empty Re: Tires ad Wheels

Post by savage Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:48 pm

Yea the choice of 14's is kind of scarce.  How are your tie rods & king pins??  grease all the zerks , see if that helps at all??
    Nice looking van..
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Number of posts : 940
    Registration date : 2016-05-06

Post by JackeFriend Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:17 pm

I read on VCVC that the shocks can stiffen up the ride. So, I have Monroe shocks which are kinda soft, and I do understand the bounce you speak about. The Rancho truck shocks might be a better ride. Russell put them on his van... check with him. He said it did not bounce and rode well.
    I have 14" rims on the front and 15" on the rear. I am going to all 15". I still am running the Goodrich TA Radials going to buy new USA slotted, same style as I have now.
    BTW my first van back in 1978 was the same color as yours... looks great!

Post by Guest Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:59 am

Thanks for the heads up. Spring shop did tell me that sometimes it just takes a little time for everything to settle in and work together. Springs, shocks, tires, etc. Did replace tie rod ends. Do need to check front end alignment. Need to check my patience level also. Thanks for responding. The color is right off the '64 color chart. GM507 Light blue. Grandkids think I look like Papa Smurf.
    AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 742
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Post by AzDon Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:21 pm

2256014 would be my choice for all four the same..... otherwise 2157014 and 2955015 for bigs n' littles!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:08 am