VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Starter Relay

winterwolf227
    winterwolf227

Number of posts : 40
    Registration date : 2015-01-04

Starter Relay Empty Starter Relay

Post by winterwolf227 Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:14 pm

Today I decided to replace the + and - batter cables. While digging into it I also decided to change out the starter relay (I know, if its not broke, dont fix it) and after buttoning it all abck up, the blody 318 wont start. It will turn over and crank but no ignition. I replace the starter relay with a NAPA relay (looks the same only cleaner ;-)

I suspect its the relay, but is there anything I am missing.

I have properly put the + batter lead to the relay, and the other wire that goes to the statrer and the correct wire that runs up to the ammeter.

Any ideas or suggestions before I rip out the brand new shiny starter relay and put the OEM one from 1969 back on it?

bounce bounce affraid affraid
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Number of posts : 624
    Registration date : 2013-07-19

Starter Relay Empty Re: Starter Relay

Post by rustytoolss Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:31 pm

Did you happen to knock off/ or bump the wiring at the ballast resistor for the ignition system ?
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:51 pm

Take a test lite 12v= check the small wire that should be marked "S" on the starter relay terminal post . With the key turned to start- that terminal should be hot=12v - be sure the test light is grounded properly!!  Just for grins??= be sure the wire u have  hooked to the new solenoid terminal  (terminal) is marked "S"!! as some solenoids  have that reversed!! . also = be sure  the solenoid is "GROUNDED"!!

The Resistor is used only on the "RUN" circuit! If alls well the van/car should crank- & die when the key is released to run -- if that resistor is bad! has nothing to do with the crank circuit!
    winterwolf227
    winterwolf227

Post by winterwolf227 Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:52 pm

The  Resistor  is used only on the "RUN" circuit!  If alls well the  van/car should crank- & die when the key is released to run -- if that resistor is bad! has nothing to do with the crank circuit!

So if I understand you correctly, if the car cranks (which it does) I can rule out the Starter Solenoid.  

Its so odd, I have been driving the van for the last few weeks and once i changed out the battery cables and the stater solenoid it wont start.  Grrrrr.. ;-) thank you all for your help.  I can get around the mechanical part for the van, but the electrical is my Achilles heel.

I guess i may have knocked something loose on the distributor or the Ballast Resistor as mentioned above.  I have a 12v test light and i will check that out tomorrow.  

I love the help all you guys give me.  Thank You from teh bottom of my 318CID...
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:54 pm

A ballast resistor can die at any given time. Most guys with mopars always carry at least one spare at all times. Always!
    winterwolf227
    winterwolf227

Post by winterwolf227 Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:05 am

rustytoolss wrote: A ballast resistor can die at any given time. Most guys with mopars always carry at least one spare at all times.   Always!

Good to know, so it sounds like when i was messing with my starter solonoid i could have damaged my B-res. So i guess i better buy 2 !!! ;-)

thank you
    winterwolf227
    winterwolf227

Post by winterwolf227 Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:04 pm

Well Son of a B(*&^.

Got a spark plug tester and wallah,I have ignition. I confirmed that by squirting a little fuel into the carb and it sputtered then back to cranking. . .So i guess we have a fuel problem.

I am gonna swap out the fuel filter and try that, then probably swap out the cab and fuel pump unless there is anything else I am missing. My carb is pretty dirty so is suspect that.

Any other ideas?
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:56 pm

fuel pump!! Pull the oil dipstick & see if it smells like gas??if so?? fuel pump!! Then change oil & filter!
    winterwolf227
    winterwolf227

Post by winterwolf227 Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:19 pm

I changed the oil last weekend and have less than 2 miles on the new oil .-;-(
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:13 pm

Also check ALL of the rubber hose. From the carb to the tank. Old fuel hose can collapse , or a crack can suck air. And may not leak fuel.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 7:44 am