VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Do I need a Fan Relay.???

Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Do I need a Fan Relay.??? Empty Do I need a Fan Relay.???

Post by Joe Van Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:39 pm

I have a 16 inch electric fan mounted behind my radiator in my Van I ran a wire from the battery to a 50 amp toggle switch and then to my fan. A friend of mine at the Car Show said I should have a fan relay wired in to it if not I am takeing a chance on burning up my fan motor it has been this way for a year now but I want to avoid a future problem.!!!. BUT I still dont understand how it works or where I should splice it in.... Can I leave it the way it is or should I buy a fan Relay.???....Thanks...Joe Van....
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Do I need a Fan Relay.??? Empty Re: Do I need a Fan Relay.???

Post by Digz Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:00 pm

Do I need a Fan Relay.??? Switch10

If it is your primary cooling fan ,I'd say yes install a temp controlled fan relay. If it's an auxilliary you still can but maybe not so much a big deal or leave that switch as a back up circuit. The other thing is maybe the switch is rated for 50A but unless you are running something like #6 wire to everything nothing else is.
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by Joe Van Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:46 pm

Thanks Digz...I went on Ebay and there is 207 different kits. scratch  I think this one is the best deal for a complete kit.....looks like I will be rewiring my fan.!!!..                                                                                                                                                                               http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELECTRIC-FAN-WIRING-INSTALL-KIT-COMPLETE-THERMOSTAT-50-AMP-RELAY-185-SBC-BBC-/140859700167?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20cbe473c7&vxp=mtr

Last edited by JOE VAN on Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:44 am; edited 1 time in total
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:38 pm

I'm sure there isn't a lot of differences in similar kits , that one looks identical to the one I got.
    Only thing I can say for sure is don't mount the circuit breaker in the engine compartment if you can help it. At least not high and in the heat like I did. I'd have to check, but i think I only fused the control circuit not the main feed. That runs through the breaker. It isn't bad to have a manual engage switch that will turn it on without the main relay in case something there fails or you want to run the fan a little after shutdown. I have had one emergency where the breaker failed me in stop and go traffic and if I had had my Aux switch wired right it would have helped me, but I had it wired to need the breaker to work !
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:01 pm

I dunno, I had a '49 Ford with a flathead V8, notorious for running hot with a large electric pusher fan on the radiator I used in hot weather, traffic jams and parades wired as Joe Van did with just heavy wire and a toggle switch and didn't have a problem for 5 years until I sold the car. Those modern electric fans don't draw that much current like a pair of fog lights where you would need a relay. If you want an automatic temperature controlled fan, then go with the relay/thermostat set up, but manual on/off with a 30-amp switch should be fine...
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

Post by Lazarusvan Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:51 pm

m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:09 pm

What Lazarusvan said;

My fan draws 30amps on low, 45 amps on high and would spike to 100 amps during a start from dead stop directly to high if I didnt use the stepper relay set up from Holisterroad products. Running my fan directly through a switch would be a fire waiting to start.

It all depends on the current your fan draws and spikes

m1D
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by Joe Van Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:54 am

I do have a 12 gauge heavy duty in line 40 amp fuse and ran 12 gauge wire the hole way ..I was told yesterday by a friend that has a couple of FAST race Cars (Big Block Chevy in a 68 Firebird that runs mid 8's) that works at our local Chevrolet Dealer Ship if I was running the fan from the fuse box then I would need a fan relay if I was running a sepert wire from the battery then I don't need one.???. At this point and stress level I may just put the 6 blade clutch fan back on the water pump I have and get a universal shroud and use my 16 electric one as a pusher like donivans Hamburg fan and go on to the next issue.......My fan is one speed and not sure on the amps it draws.?? I have only blown the fuse once last year when I was trying to adjust my wife's seat from my seat and flipped the switch on and off a couple of times fast from leaning against it.. Smile ..

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 1:30 pm