VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

white smoke from starter relay?

white smoke from starter relay? Empty white smoke from starter relay?

Post by Guest Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:07 am

after doing a minor rebuild (blown piston replacement) ive got everything put back together and now im trying to get it to start so that i can set my distributor an such. Almost immediately in trying to start it white smoke comes from my starter relay/solenoid? comes from the post where the battery connects and ignition wires connect. I followed the wires to ensure integrity an everything seems fine? I would think im grounding out somewhere but everything has been hooked up the way it was before when it ran? have a hard wired alt an no regulator not sure if that makes a diff? Im not very car saavy. seems like im doin everyhting right. even tried replacing the relay with another one I had layin around. Although it came with the van when i got it and it may have been the one that was replaced? although it looked new? Engine is turning over fine just not cranking.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

white smoke from starter relay? Empty Re: white smoke from starter relay?

Post by G-Man Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:33 am

Welcome to VV!!!!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:02 am

The relay needs to be grounded to work,,,,,do you have the wires on the correct side? Disconnect the cable that goes to the starter,,,,,see if relay still smokes when you turn the key,,,,,is it the relay or the wires on it that are smoking?,,,,,,does the van start if you just jump the 2 big wires on the relay with the key on???
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:08 am

[i]Relay posts tight?? Wires tight?? If all checks out replace relay - theyre cheap!!

Post by Guest Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:28 am

the smoke appears to be coming from the wires. relay posts are solid and wires tight. have a battery charger but no jumper cables to test. in making sure the wires that the smoke is coming from were tight I caught a spark just from my wrench touching them? theyre connected to the same post but that could b normal jus seemed wierd.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:03 am

You should have a big cable from the positive battery post going to 1 of the big posts on the relay,,,,there should be at least 1 small wire there also,,,,,,remove the small wire, tighten the cable back on,,,,turn the key on,,,,,touch the small wire back onto the post that you just it off of,,,,see if it sparks badly,,,,,if it seems OK, turn the key to start,,,touch that wire up again,,,,see how it acts,,,we need to narrow down when it smokes and what circuit causes it to smoke,,,,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:15 am

And do you have fusible links on the small wires that are hooked up with the battery cable?
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:16 am

Only reason I can think of that the starter relay would smoke is if one of the poles got flipped around inside. We have to be careful when tightening the wires down that the poles don't rotate. It may minimize the contact surface area where the relay plate touches the electrodes, and cause the contact areas to burn. If you aren't sure, just replace it (cheap like TwinPilot said, BTDT), make sure the wires are on the right posts, and that the posts don't twist in the relay housing. Good luck.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:46 am

And are you telling us that the starter CRANKS the engine OK but the engine won't FIRE the spark plugs?

Post by Guest Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:52 am

The engine tries to start, but doesnt.
    It's the post that the battery cable connects to as well as a wire that is almost just as thick that runs to my ignition area.
    Removed said cable an left my batt cable connected. Tried to start (hot wirin rite now) no smoke or spark..... Touched ignition cable to relay post while trying to start an no smoke or spark. But didn't start. However it hasn't started in 10 months and it may b something else as to why it's not starting?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:54 pm

So,,,,,do you understand all these circuits?

white smoke from starter relay? Ford_r12
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:58 pm

I guess the real question is,,,,are the points set right,,,,,do you have spark and fuel AND IS THE TIMING SET RIGHT SO THE ENGINE WILL FIRE UP,,,,with that spark and fuel,,,,,

Post by Guest Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:41 am

Well not getting a spark. When I take the 1 cable of the spark plug an try to start it I get no spark. New SP wires guess I need a way to test my distributor?

Thanks for all replyies! This my only transportation an bein a pedestrian is growing old!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:50 pm

The fast answer is pull the wire off #3, (that wire goes to the positive side of the coil),,,,connect #3 WIRE to #1 somehow,,,,,that powers up the coil and distributor,,,,,then touch #1 to #2 on the RELAY with pliers or something, (that should crank the starter) pull the choke out and see if it starts,,,,,this is just a test to find out what you got,,,, another test would be,,,clip a 12 volt test light to ground,,,,touch the point to the NEGATIVE side of the coil,,,,crank the starter,,,,,the light should BLINK if the coil and distributor are working,,,,,let us know what you find,,,,,,
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:02 pm

Zak? That you?

Man that paint job has come a long way! Looks very cool. If you get point where your really frustrated with your issue just let me know. I can come down and help you figure it out.

Dan

white smoke from starter relay? Townie10

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

white smoke from starter relay? Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-

Post by Guest Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:50 am

Well I have 12v coming from my coil to my distrib when it's in on position.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:51 am

That shows that the RUN circuit has power,,,,,you need to check the START circuit,,,,,if you are taking a voltage reading on the wire that goes from the coil to the distributor, it should read 12 and go down to 0 when the starter is cranking the engine,,,,if it stays 12 all the time, the points are not working right,,,,,in the electric world,,,,12 volts on the negative side of the coil loads up the coil, then 0 fires it,,,,,you won't have spark if it is either 12 volts or 0 volts there,,,,,you need both,,,the voltage has to jump up and down,,,,,that changing is what creates the spark,,,,,and the distributor, with its points and condenser, is what does the voltage changing,,,,and then, you have to have the points and timing set right, so that spark from the coil, goes to the right spark plug at the right time,,,,,

Post by Guest Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:18 am

Dont know if it is right for me to step in with a question. I got the starter relay like this, left bolt is going to the starter, small S bolt a cable from the kwy switch, cable from bolt labeled I to the pos side of coil, and the left big bolt its holding the pos batt cable and alternator

Post by Guest Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:23 am

Also the small bolt labeled I has a cable going to the key switch.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:01 am

Well if you are asking what are all those wires on the starter relay, then the answer is,,,,,,,,there are 2 inputs and 2 outputs on the relay,,,,the positive battery cable goes on one big terminal,,,,it will also have 2 smaller wires hooked with it to the voltage regulator and ignition switch,,,,and the other big terminal goes to the starter,,,,,then there is a small terminal that has the wire from the ignition switch called S for start to energize the relay and crank the starter,,,,,and then there is the weird small terminal called I,,,,its job is to send 12 volts to the positive side of the coil, ONLY when the starter is cranking,so there is a wire going from that terminal to the positive side of the coil,,,,,,and last there is that weird wire,,,it is the 6 volt one from the ignition switch that also needs to go to the positive side of the coil,,,,,HOWEVER,,,,,to save costs,,,they just hook it to the I terminal on the relay and let the 6 volts get a free ride through the 12 volt wire going to the coil,,,,

Post by Guest Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:16 pm

Are the big posts interchangeable? Or is the one on the left from the small S bolt always to the starter? the big stud to the right of the small I batt feed?

Sorry if im asking this question. That is how the van has it set up.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:35 pm

Probably the big ones are interchangeable,,,,,but only the small wire one that clicks the relay is the S one, it won't work if you have the wrong wires on those 2 little terminals,,,,,and the S terminal usually is right next to the big positive battery cable terminal,,,,,,,AND,,,,, this place would be REALLY BORING if nobody asked questions,,,,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 1:00 am