VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+5
slowflapper
xjamesx
econopoor
Big W
Hot Rod Chassis
9 posters

Greetings from Hot Rod Chassis & Cycle!

Hot Rod Chassis
    Hot Rod Chassis

Number of posts : 2
    Registration date : 2015-01-07

Greetings from Hot Rod Chassis & Cycle! Empty Greetings from Hot Rod Chassis & Cycle!

Post by Hot Rod Chassis Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:20 pm

Hello all. I'm guessing this forum is much like others in that it's best to say hello before posting. My name is Kevin Tully, and I own a shop in Addison Il that's been open for 11 years with my partner Chad Hill.

We have two halves of our business, Hot Rod Chassis & Cycle, which builds Traditional Hot Rods and Customs, 1964 and earlier only please. And Skunkworks Racing Divison, which builds race cars of any era, specializing in Pro-Touring and Drag Racing.

We're embarking on a 1962 Econoline Pickup build for a new customer, and I thought you guys might like to follow along. I'd also like to get input from items you guys might like to see us build for sale.

The '62 Econo will be getting a Mustang II style front suspension, and triangulated 4-link rear. Knowing the difficulties with installing IFS on this truck and the van, I wondered if we built a weld in subframe for the Mustang II that you could buy and weld into your van or truck, if that would be something you guys might want? We could do the same for the rear. How about a bolt in dropped transmission crossmember for AOD/AODE? What about a drop in radiator with cooling fan and shroud, that was A/C compatible for V8?

If you have any thoughts, please let me know.
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Greetings from Hot Rod Chassis & Cycle! Empty Re: Greetings from Hot Rod Chassis & Cycle!

Post by Big W Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:47 pm

Welcome to VV. Can't waite to see this build get underway. Up here in the great white north, not much building going on, so it's nice to fallow along with others to help keep a vanner warm...lol. I think a weld in subframe is a GREAT idea.
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Greetings from Hot Rod Chassis & Cycle! Empty Re: Greetings from Hot Rod Chassis & Cycle!

Post by econopoor Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:28 pm

Welcome Hot Rod Chassis.

I used to live in Addison back in the early 80's.

I see a lot of interest in a IFS chassis. I've seen several built over the years. The biggest obstacle is how much narrower the Mustang II is over the stock Econoline frame rails. As for the rear, any kind of lowering will require a frame notch. Not much axle clearance with stock ride height. I could see a whole new frame, narrower than the stock rails. Something that you could weld into the stock floor pan. Double framing would add too much weight. Something designed to replace the stock rails. All the stock stuff could be cut away and replaced with a new structure. Something complete that will tie into the stock side frames just the way the original does right now. Maybe 2X3 box tube. Remember that the front and rear roll pan are part of the stock chassis. A replacement will need to tie in here as well. A selection of ride heights would be nice too. Not everybody wants to lay frame. I've given this idea a lot of thought. Just too big of a project for me to try and tackle. Just a small one car shop with a 185 amp mig. It's way over my head.

Now, The big question is rather there is a market for this? Our trucks are cheap as far as collector vehicles go. Not worth a whole bunch. I can't see very many putting a ton of money in a turn key chassis. I see full size pickup chassis' going for 10K up. Can't see anything like that in our world. A select few maybe. Now you are going down this road anyway it may be possible to build a few extras seeing as you are already there. It might justify building a jig. I could a very limited market with room to grow. Our trucks are gaining popularity and you would have a jump on the market. No one else is doing anything like this for our trucks. It's some food for thought.

Duane in Tennessee.
    xjamesx
    xjamesx

Number of posts : 378
    Registration date : 2008-05-14

Post by xjamesx Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:09 pm

I would love to modify the suspension and lower my van in the future so any kind of front and/or rear kit would be handy and something a few of us would like to see. If I don't go that route, I'm considering a while new chassis. Definitely interested in following your build. You guys on Instagram at all?
    Hot Rod Chassis
    Hot Rod Chassis

Number of posts : 2
    Registration date : 2015-01-07

Post by Hot Rod Chassis Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:00 am

I wasn't thinking of an entire new chassis. A subframe that would load in from underneath and you could use a mig welder to install. I have looked at a ton of photos of others that have done this before. Of course there would be surgery to the frame and wheel houses. But with any modification like we're talking about, that's how it goes. We would design something that would have the least amount of surgery necessary. Optional ride heights would consist of stock height spindles and 2" drop spindles. I would think the stock height spindles would put the stock height tires so that the top of the tire is just below the wheel opening below the door. And a guy could go 2" more down from there with the dropped spindles.

As for laying frame, that is done with air bags, and really has nothing to do with ride height. I would like to design something that would lower the vehicle a little, give better ride and steering, better braking, etc. Our shop standard for minimum ride height is 6" of ground clearance. This is based on the National standard of a speed bump at 4 1/2", plus 1 1/2" for safety.

We're also limited to the stock front wheel houses and the rocker panel width. You can only go so low before your tire width becomes something more of a drag racing front runner, and that's a whole different ball of wax. I'd like to design something where a guy could use a 195-225mm tire. Good ride, safe steering,etc. As well as a nice, beefy, sway bar.

I'll keep you guys updated with photos. When we get far enough, if there is interest, I'll build a jig and start taking orders.
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:21 pm

Welcome to VV Kevin, we love to see pictures and how-I-did-it threads, these old vans take a lot of work now and parts are hard to come by. The "members show case" sub forum here is a great place to ptu build threads btw.
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:33 pm

Hi, welcome, here's a thread with some links to other threads on customizing E-van suspensions and lowering, might give you some ideas...
    https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t9114-lowering-an-e-van?highlight=E+-van+lowering
    Oscarm
    Oscarm

Number of posts : 91
    Registration date : 2014-05-06

Post by Oscarm Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:24 pm

These homely little vans are starting to come out of the woodwork, like old Mustangs did years ago.
    At this point, selling a $3000 IFS to a guy that bought a van for $1500 is going to be a hard sell.
    Complete 302/ AOD conversion packages would be an easier one. Prefabbed crossmembers/ mounts and customizable driveshafts might fly.
    Most conversions are from cobble-jobs and hearsay, involving many junkyard trips....yep, that's the
    way us old guys used to do it, but we're getting older, and don't need that.
    A good cooling package is a great start. Most of our repowering involves carving up Mustang and Taurus parts....
    Couple of members doing successful (?) disc brake packages, so their business model might be worth looking at.
    How about a powertrain package that involves one of the newer high-performance 4 cylinder or even diesel engines ?
    I've just got 'into' the early van thing, so I'm hoping to see some growth in the resurrection of these old charmers . Yours is a very welcome addition to our forum.

Last edited by Oscarm on Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Bad spellin')
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:27 am

Welcome To VV..!!!.. cheers ..We are always willing to share & learn new info..!!!.. Very Happy .

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

Post by Lazarusvan Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:44 am

Oscarm wrote:These homely little vans are starting to come out of the woodwork, like old Mustangs did years ago.
    At this point, selling a $3000 IFS to a guy that bought a van for $1500 is going to be a hard sell.
    Complete 302/ AOD conversion packages would be an easier one. Prefabbed crossmembers/ mounts and customizable driveshafts might fly.
    Most conversions are from cobble-jobs and hearsay, involving many junkyard trips....yep, that's the
    way us old guys used to do it, but we're getting older, and don't need that.
    A good cooling package is a great start. Most of our repowering involves carving up Mustang and Taurus parts....
    Couple of members doing successful (?) disc brake packages, so their business model might be worth looking at.
    How about a powertrain package that involves one of the newer high-performance 4 cylinder or even diesel engines ?
    I've just got 'into' the early van thing, so I'm hoping to see some growth in the resurrection of these old charmers . Yours is a very welcome addition to our forum.

I agree with you in terms of price, but these vans are only going up in value and there will be a market in time. It seems every commericial or show I see these days sneaks a van of some vintage era into the background. Even the Dodge ad, with all the cars they have built, chose to feature a van with only a handful of cars they've built over the years . Anyone offering anything made specifically for our vans should be encouraged to the max!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 12:56 pm